Sweden is one of the most peaceful and prosperous countries in the world. There are a lot of benefits and supportive conditions for your PhD career.
PhD is a job
In Sweden, if you do PhD, you will be treated as an employee. It means that you get salary, and many other benefits. Your salary is often 18000 -21000 SEK after tax. It is more than enough to live and you can save a lot if you don’t have family.
How long does it take?
- The total time for PhD in Sweden is often from 4-5 years.
- If you have to do PhD in 5 years, it means that you need to teach 20% and do research 80%.
- If you only have to do in 4 years, it means that you work full time for research (100%).
What is benefits?
- If you have baby during your stay in Sweden, you will get a lot of benefit, i.e., you can stay at home with your kids up to 180 days (called parental leave) and still get 80% PhD salary. Your PhD contract also be extended if you take a parental leave.
- You will have around 28 days/year for taking vacation with full salary.
- Your university often pay the mobile phone, computers, and bill for your phone monthly.
- You and your family almost don’t have to pay the fee for medical and education for kids and family member.
- Your kid will be received an allowance around 1300 SEK/month until he/she is 18 year old.
- Your kid does not have to pay any fee for dental checking and treatment until he/she 18 year old.
- After staying 5 years in Sweden with fully tax payment, you have a high chance to become a Sweden citizenship.