To be responsible for supporting and developing financial analysis, business support advice and reporting on potential new commercial opportunities for the University, combined with responsibility for the day-to-day management and development of University Treasury activities, including operational banking activity, investment activity and associated policies.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Advise on commercial opportunities
• Conduct thorough and appropriate due diligence on the financials of upcoming investment opportunities for the Group.
• Build and develop relationships with key stakeholders, partners and developers involved in the campus development to manage and support financial agreements.
• Provide detailed financial analysis supporting business case development for commercial opportunities across the University including key strategic projects such as the University's approach to Student Residences and the Clinical Innovation Zone located at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.
• Provide expert advice and guidance to senior management to inform decision- making, thereby supporting the delivery of the University's strategic ambitions.
• Identify weaknesses and recommend appropriate controls and processes to accurately account for any such investments or joint ventures being brought within the Group.
2. Manage the University's banking function
• Support the Tax, Treasury & Financial Reporting Manager in the delivery of the treasury function, in compliance with the University's treasury management policy.
• Build relationships and be the main point of contact with the University's banking institutions
• Provide support in the administration of the Group's banking relationships.
• Manage cash balances and timing effectively to support ongoing operational needs and budgeted capital projects/investments, utilising the University's short and long term cash flows to ensure that all cash requirements can be met.
• Monitor cash forecasts to actuals to ensure that counterparty limits approved by Finance Committee are never breached.
• Responsible for monitoring the University's foreign currency holdings and actioning the sale of currencies to minimise the University's foreign exchange exposure.
• Recommend suitable bank accounts for the investment of the University's funds.
• Act as a signatory on the University and subsidiary bank mandates and as an authorised signatory for electronic banking.
3. Lead and manage the Treasury team
• Lead, motivate and develop team members. In doing so promote a continuous improvement approach, ensuring that the team applies appropriate professional standards and demonstrates a culture of ownership and accountability to ensure the delivery of service excellence.
• Ensure all bank account reconciliations are completed by the team in a timely manner and that reconciling items are followed up and brought to resolution.
• Ensure foreign exchange rates are updated in a timely manner on the system and that transactions are accounted for correctly through the system.
4. University Endowment Investment including support to the Investment Advisory Committee
• Manage a range of professional advisors, including asset fund managers and other investment advisors.
• Responsible for arranging and co-ordinating the Investment Advisory Committee meetings.
• Develop, prepare and present Investment reports for Senior Management and Committee members to aide decision making and monitoring of risk management strategies.
• Ensure that the monthly accounting reconciliation and reporting requirements for the University's Endowment Investments is timely and accurate for the Investment Advisory committee and Finance committee, liaising with Fund managers and custodians as required.
5. Manage the Group's Financial Covenants
• Responsible for managing and accurately preparing all calculations regarding the University's financial covenant compliance requirements;
o Payments of interest
o Complying with covenants
o Sending documentation as stated in the agreement
• Responsible for ensuring any revisions to agreements are implemented and adhered to, liaising with advisors as required.
6. Responsible for the Group's Treasury related policies
• Key contributor to updating and providing recommendations for the University Treasury policy to support the long term strategic aims of the University Group.
• Monitor the environmental, social and governance factors and how they link with the Group's investment policy and report any required revisions to Policy.
• Provide detailed analysis and insight of the Group's compliance with external campaigns by considering our current Responsible Investment policy.
• Make recommendations where ESG changes should be considered.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
A1 Ability to demonstrate the competencies required to undertake the duties associated with this level of post having acquired the necessary professional knowledge and management skills in a similar or number of different specialist roles.
A2 Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework level 9, 10 or 11 (Ordinary/Honours Degree) or equivalent.
A3 Professionally qualified with a relevant professional accounting qualification (CA, ACCA, or CIMA).
A4 Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
B1 Treasury qualifications/commercial accounting knowledge.
C1 Excellent planning and organisational skills.
C2 Ability to prioritise workload to deliver to tight deadlines and manage competing demands from various stakeholders.
C3 Ability to identify control weaknesses, influence, make recommendations and implement solutions to resolve these areas.
C4 Ability to apply intellectual rigour and analytical insight to support qualitative decision making.
C5 Highly effective oral and written communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to challenge assumptions and practices with diplomacy.
C6 An ability to demystify complex financial concepts for non-financial colleagues.
C7 Resilient and able to effectively deal with ambiguity and able to maintain momentum in the face of obstacles/setbacks.
C8 Advanced skills in the use of Microsoft packages such as Excel, Word, Visio, PowerPoint; and accounting software packages.
C9 Strong attention to detail.
C10 Team leadership skills with ability to motivate and develop people.
E1 Significant experience of working in corporate finance.
E2 Significant experience of providing expert advice and guidance to and influencing senior managers.
E3 Experience of building strong, effective and credible working relationships with senior leaders.
E4 Experience of managing and developing a team.
E5 Risk management experience.
F1 Presenting and explaining financial and other data to both financial and non-financial colleagues.
F2 Experience of working within a large complex organisation.
F3 Drafting policy and procedures for treasury requirements.
F4 Investment accounting experience.
Terms and Conditions
Salary will be Grade 8, £48,350 - £56,021 per annum. This post is full time (35 hours p/w) and fixed term to cover maternity leave for up to 12 months or until the substantive postholder returns.
Please Note: If you are a current employee of the University of Glasgow, please be advised that the University would consider an internal secondment opportunity for this post. University of Glasgow applicants should seek clearance for release for internal secondment from their line manager before making a formal application.
As part of Team UofG you will be a member of a world changing, inclusive community, which values ambition, excellence, integrity and curiosity.
As a valued member of our team, you can expect:
1 A warm welcoming and engaging organisational culture, where your talents are developed and nurtured, and success is celebrated and shared.
2 An excellent employment package with generous terms and conditions including 41 days of leave for full time staff, pension - pensions handbook https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/payandpensions/pensions/, benefits and discount packages.
3 A flexible approach to working.
4 A commitment to support your health and wellbeing, including a free 6-month UofG Sport membership for all new staff joining the University https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/staff/healthwellbeing/.
We believe that we can only reach our full potential through the talents of all. Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our values. Applications are particularly welcome from across our communities and in particular people from the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) community, and other protected characteristics who are under-represented within the University. Read more on how the University promotes and embeds all aspects of equality and diversity within our community https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/.
We endorse the principles of Athena Swan https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/athenaswan/ and hold bronze, silver and gold awards across the University.
We are investing in our organisation, and we will invest in you too. Please visit our website https: // www. gla.ac.uk/explore/jobs/ for more information.
Vacancy Ref : 138653 Close Date : 22-Feb-2024 23:45