The University of Glasgow is dedicated to the welfare and success of it's students. In achieving this commitment, the Student Experience Manager, as a senior member of the Student Engagement Team, plays a crucial role.
As Student Experience Manager, you will have direct line management responsibility for the Student Service Enquiry Team and the International Student Support Team, as well as a team of seasonal staff including REST (Registration and Enrolment Support Team) to successfully support student registration and enrolment.
The successful applicant will be motivated, collaborative and proactive with excellent leadership skills and experience. You will have an excellent understanding of the needs of current students with a focus on providing first class frontline services to ensure a seamless and supportive experience for students from the moment an enquiry is made.
Furthermore, you will be adept at planning and problem-solving and able to work effectively with a wide range of stakeholders across the University forging and maintaining excellent relationships focusing on an outstanding student experience and high level of student satisfaction. You will be pro- active and able to work independently and have a strong understanding and vision for what is required to deliver sector leading experience for students from induction and enrolment to graduation.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. To lead and motivate student facing teams with a customer-focussed and student-centric approach at the heart of all decisions and planning, to positively impact the student experience.
2. To be responsible for the leadership, development and effective operation of the Student Service Enquiry Team (SSET). Leading on the management and development of excellent in person service and play a key role in the continuous improvement of service delivery, including triage and referral procedures,
3. Manage, develop and lead the International Student Support Team (ISS) to ensure a first-class service offering specialist visa related advice and guidance for International students.
4. Provide expert advice and guidance on relevant policies and legislation and how it impacts on local practice.
5. Design, co-ordinate and deliver a comprehensive Welcome and Orientation programme at the beginning of each semester for all new international students highlighting the extensive range of support and services that are available across the University followed by a variety of social and seasonal events for international students throughout the academic year.
6. Influence and collaborate with colleagues across University Services, Colleges and departments to plan and lead the successful and seamless delivery of key student touchpoints throughout the student journey including registration and enrolment.
7. Oversee the recruitment, training and supervision of seasonal staff including the Registration and Enrolment Support Team (REST) to support excellent service delivery in supporting SSET to provide seamless delivery of key student touchpoints throughout the year including registration and enrolment.
8. Develop and improve access to and content of student self-help resources, in consultation with students, colleges and schools to ensure resources are up-to-date, relevant and student focussed.
9. Work closely and collaboratively with colleagues in Student Support, Student Life and Student Wellbeing and Inclusion to ensure a seamless process for signposting and referral to supportive and specialist services, such as Safeguarding, Counselling & Wellbeing and Disability Service, Peer Wellbeing and other services aimed at supporting students.
10. Ensure that all colleagues in the Student Services are aware of and understand the services provided by the relevant teams.
11. Proactively engage and maintain excellent working relationships with key college and school staff, the Students' Representative Council (SRC), student societies and the other student services to ensure effective flow of information and understanding about student matters to enable a co-ordinated and forward-looking response to emerging student issues.
12 Develop and monitor service effectiveness indicators, benchmark services and share good practice with other sector professionals, and use these to drive continuous service improvement and innovation.
13. Oversee the financial planning and budgeting process, progress investments bids as appropriate, monitor and report on budgets to the Head of Student Engagement.
14. Undertake any other duties of equivalent standing as required in accordance with the development of the Student Engagement aims and objectives.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
A1 Ability to demonstrate the necessary competencies required to undertake the duties associated with this level of post having acquired the necessary professional knowledge and management skills in similar or number of different specialist roles; Or: Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework level 9,10, or 11 (Ordinary/Honours Degree, Post Graduate Qualification) or equivalent, including being professionally qualified in relevant discipline, with a broad range of professional experience in a management role(s).
A2 Understanding of how complex business changes are achieved, through experience of leading these in a related setting.
A3 Highly developed knowledge of frontline service operations and an appreciation of the key requirements to consistently deliver a customer- focused approach.
A4 Knowledge and understanding of the user-centric service design and improvement.
A5 Considerable knowledge and understanding of the student journey and the key factors and challenges currently affecting student's' lives.
A6 Authoritative knowledge and understanding of advice and guidance services within a diverse and multi-cultural setting.
B1 An excellent working knowledge of UK visa regulations
C1 Proven track record of strong leadership skills in a service environment across multiple teams with high level interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to empower, inspire and motivate teams and individuals ensuring a collective focus and shared vision for success.
C2 High level influencing skills, able to quickly build credibility, deliver impact at all levels and influence across a diverse stakeholder group
C3 Ability to think strategically, challenging the status quo through well- presented arguments based on sound professional judgement which support the adoption of new ways of working.
C4 Strong process and change management skills with necessary persistence and drive to bring projects to a successful conclusion underpinned by proven project management skills.
C5 Ability to use initiative and judgement to resolve issues independently and make informed decisions effectively, including taking decisive action when confronted with difficult situations.
C6 Proven analytical and problem-solving capabilities with the ability to logically assess data and apply effective evidence based approaches to decision making across a broad range of management functions.
C7 Demonstrable emotional resilience, having the ability to work calmly under pressure when dealing with difficult scenarios.
C8 Proven ability to build and sustain strong/trusted working relationships across the organisation.
D1 Proven commitment and success to continuous service improvement through the development of external professional networks, horizon scanning and ability to identify best practice elsewhere which contributes to driving change and ensuring delivery of a first class customer focussed service.
E1 Direct and extensive managerial track record of leading professional staff and cross-functional teams
E2 Experience of managing and controlling budgets and making effective use of resources
E3 Managerial experience of delivering and continuously improving a customer- focused service to diverse and demanding users
E4 Demonstrable experience of leading, implementing and managing change (operational and cultural) on a sizable scale through projects and processes.
E5 Experience of working with and influencing senior management, and wide stakeholder groups with competing priorities, through high level communication skills and negotiation activity
E6 Experience of providing accurate and relevant documentation/management information/statistics along with analysis to assist senior managers with decision making
E7 Proven experience of working as a member of a management team, contributing to the delivery of strategy, culture and managing business risks.
F1 Success of development of service policies and procedures to improve service effectiveness and efficiency.
F2 Experience of working in a front facing commercial management position
Terms and Conditions
Salary will be Grade 8, £48,350 - £56,021 per annum.
This post is full time (35 hours per week) and open ended (permanent). Relocation assistance will be provided where appropriate.
As part of Team UofG you will be a member of a world changing, inclusive community, which values ambition, excellence, integrity and curiosity.
As a valued member of our team, you can expect:
1 A warm welcoming and engaging organisational culture, where your talents are developed and nurtured, and success is celebrated and shared.
2 An excellent employment package with generous terms and conditions including 41 days of leave for full time staff, pension - pensions handbook https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/payandpensions/pensions/, benefits and discount packages.
3 A flexible approach to working.
4 A commitment to support your health and wellbeing, including a free 6-month UofG Sport membership for all new staff joining the University https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/staff/healthwellbeing/.
We believe that we can only reach our full potential through the talents of all. Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our values. Applications are particularly welcome from across our communities and in particular people from the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) community, and other protected characteristics who are under-represented within the University. Read more on how the University promotes and embeds all aspects of equality and diversity within our community https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/.
We endorse the principles of Athena Swan https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/athenaswan/ and hold bronze, silver and gold awards across the University.
We are investing in our organisation, and we will invest in you too. Please visit our website https: // www. gla.ac.uk/explore/jobs/ for more information.
Vacancy Ref : 134611 Close Date : 20-Feb-2024 23:45