Position InformationJob Title Student Assistant (Peer Mentor - School of Nursing)
This is a student position responsible for assisting in the operations and activities of a department or a departmental project, program, or function. Responsible for assisting potential School of Nursing Lumberjacks in developing the necessary skills for academic and social success by providing guidance and support.
1. Mentors future School of Nursing students by providing personalized support and guidance.
2. Meets with each mentee individually a minimum of once per week.
3. Increases mentee campus connections through involvement on campus and familiarization with campus resources.
4. Assists mentees with personal and academic goals, including but not limited to study skills, time management, campus and community involvement, personal decision making, and conflict resolution skills.
5. Attends biweekly planning meetings with supervising academic advisor.
6. Attends all training sessions as necessary.
7. Assists in mentee file and record maintenance.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
1. Knowledge of campus resources.
2. Knowledge of strategies for achieving academic and personal goals. 3. Ability to understand and follow instructions. 4. Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
5. Ability to engage students in conversation. 6. Ability to communicate professionally and courteously with faculty, staff, and students.
7. Ability to identify issues of concern to bring to the attention of the supervising academic advisor.
8. Ability to demonstrate enthusiasm and positivity in assisting students. 9. Ability to demonstrate dependability in completing job duties.
The minimum education required for admittance as a student at Stephen F. Austin State University.
No direct experience is required. Training and instruction will be provided.
Students must be currently enrolled in the BSN program and in good standing. Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Peer Mentors are upperclassmen students who showcase a high level of integrity and commitment to the university and their progress in the DeWitt School of Nursing BSN program. As a Peer Mentor, you will be required to meet with each mentee individually once per week. In addition to the mentoring sessions, Peer Mentors are required to attend monthly programs, as well as bi-weekly planning meetings coordinated by the supervising Academic Advisor.
Physical Demands Special Conditions for Eligibility
A student must be enrolled in six or more semester hours to be eligible for student employment during the fall or spring semesters. To be eligible for student employment during the summer, a student must be enrolled in three or more semester hours or be registered for courses in the upcoming fall semester.
Student assistants may not hold any other type of position such as a graduate assistantship or temporary casual employment at the same time that they are employed as a student assistant.
Position End Date (if temporary) 05/31/2024
Posting Detail InformationPosting Number SA2023-183
Number of Vacancies 1 Posting Open Date 08/28/2023 Review Start Date 09/01/2023 Posting Close Date Work Schedule Min Pay Rate $15.00/hr Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants EEO Statement
Stephen F. Austin State University, an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and Educator, is committed to excellence through diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, creed, color, age, national origin, religion or physical or mental disability as required by law. If, because of an impairment or disability, you need accommodation during any part of the employment process, please contact Human Resources at 936-468-2304.
Posting Quick Link https: // careers.sfasu.edu/postings/10550
Department InformationDepartment Nursing
Contact Name Dr. Tamara Harris Contact Phone 936-468-7719 Contact Email [email protected] Contact Information Applicants will be contacted by the hiring department if selected for an interview If you have specific questions about this job posting, please contact HR at (936) 468-2304Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().