You will lead a team of Admissions officers with responsibility for managing admissions processes from point of application to enrolment for a range of specified programmes or applicant cohorts, in line with the admissions principles of fairness, consistency and transparency. You will develop processes in line with a leading applicant experience and ensuring excellent customer service is core to all team activities. Admissions currently manages and supports interactions with approximately 100,000 applicants each year across UG, PGT, PGR and Collaborations and Partnerships.
You will line manage team members to ensure that initial application assessments, selection processes, decision making and recording all elements which relate to the contractual basis of offer, confirmation processes and CAS issuance are executed in line with institutional policy and all relevant legislative and compliance parameters. You will be responsible for developing your direct reports in line with the Admissions core training programmes and ensure that all team members have competency across all processes in the applicant journey.
You will build and develop relationships with key stakeholders in the Academic Schools that you have responsibility for and ensure that all stakeholders are appropriately briefed on both in cycle progress and future Admissions developments.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Line Manage a team of Admissions Officers in a high volume, high pressure environment. This includes responsibility for a particular subset of applicants or programmes, workload management, training and development and all HR related processes.
2. Ensure that all team members have access to tools and documented processes which are designed in line with Admissions requirements, legislative compliance and an excellent customer service.
3. Deliver training and manage team members to execute all processes related to the applicant journey: initial assessment including Fee and Immigration status confirmation, selection including assessment of academic, English Language and non-academic qualifications, decision processing and accurate recording of the basis of offer (qualification status, English Language status, non-academic qualification status, fee status, immigration status), confirmation processes, field completion for statutory and internal reporting, CAS issuance and verification of all aspects of basis of offer.
4. Support the Enquiry Team Lead to ensure that applicant enquiries including unsuccessful applicant feedback requests or applicant complaints are responded to in a timely fashion using automation where appropriate.
5 Responsibility for creating and maintaining appropriate operational reporting tools to assess the efficiency of processes against key performance indicators and to ensure that all internal stakeholders are well-informed regarding Admissions progress and future Admissions developments.
6. Support for the creation of and responsibility for the implementation and reporting of appropriate key performance indicators and service level agreements for decision turnarounds for uncapped programmes and applicant cohorts.
7. Design and develop appropriate selection and review processes to ensure that decision processing is completed in line with applicant cohort and programme or intake category targets and caps.
8. Operational lead for core processes with high impact to recruitment including UKVI Compliance and Fee Status Assessment for your specified area of responsibility
9. Support the Admissions Operations Manager to manage technical tools and systems required for Admissions processes. This would include supporting start of cycle set-up for Direct Applications, UCAS Applications and My Campus Application processing screens, set-up of Applicant self-service, Admissions communications implementation, set up of UCAS collection tool, support for data transfer interactions with third parties such as UCAS and UKVI.
10. Support operational Admissions processes where appropriate to ensure that turnaround times are maintained in during periods of particularly high volumes
11. Support Head of Admissions to develop and implement systems and process enhancements / new products / significant changes and ensure all key users and relevant stakeholders receive training as part of the implementation period
12. Develop and manage relationships with key internal stakeholders in relevant Schools and Colleges. Ensure that all internal stakeholders are well- informed regarding Admissions progress and future Admissions developments.
13. Responsibility for additional specific activities or projects as requested by the Heads of Admissions, including those with enquirer and applicant engagement focus eg Open Days or Clearing
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
A1 Either: Ability to demonstrate the competencies required to undertake the duties associated with this level of post having acquired the necessary knowledge and skills in a similar role; OR Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework level 8 (SVQ 4, HND or equivalent) , and experience of personal development in a similar role.
A2 Knowledge of pre-HE and HE qualification frameworks in key recruitment markets: UK, EU, China, South Asia, South East Asia, North America
A3 Knowledge of legislation and compliance parameters that govern Admissions practice and policy
A4 Knowledge and of the HE sector and a detailed understanding of the legislative and compliance parameters that govern HE Admissions.
C1 Ability to work as part of a team and independently on own initiative
C2 Effective planning, organising and prioritising with the ability to offer a flexible approach to managing workload and supporting workloads from across Admissions
C3 Ability to conduct own research to evaluate academic qualifications using UK NARIC, University guidelines and other available evidence
C4 Ability to manage resource to meet ambitious KPI targets and turnaround times
C5 Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing to ensure effective reporting and customer service.
C6 Excellent presentation skills to allow complex datasets and outcomes to be clearly communicated to internal and external stakeholders
C7 Excellent IT skills: Outlook, Excel, Word, Access and bespoke databases, with the ability to use University management information systems, Student Records and Admissions – BI Query, Weblink and MyCampus.
C8 Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to deal with complaints and varied data requests
C9 Ability to adapt to an ever-changing internal and external Admissions landscape
C10 Ability to apply a logical and methodical approach to solving problems encountered throughout the Admissions cycle and to communicate solutions effectively to all key stakeholders
D1 Management skills and the ability to manage sickness absence and phased return, recruitment, staff wellbeing, performance, training and development
E1 Experience of managing or supervising a team of professionals in a high pressure, high volume environment.
E2 Experience of designing and delivering bespoke training materials which cover all aspects of Admissions process including legislative parameters
E3 Experience in liaising with colleagues from across the broad range of Higher Education professionals including Academic colleagues
E4 Experience in a Higher Education setting with high volume processing and tight deadlines, preferably within University Admissions.
F1 Experience of managing systems and processes in a high volume Admissions environment.
F2 Specific and detailed experience of the tools used in UofG Admissions: Oracle Campus Solutions, Oracle Apex, Advanced Excel, Microsoft Teams
Terms and Conditions
Salary will be Grade 6, £32,332 - £36,024 per annum.
This post is full time (35 hours per week) and fixed term for up to 12 months or until the substantive post holder returns.
Please Note: If you are a current employee of the University of Glasgow, please be advised that the University would consider an internal secondment opportunity for this post. University of Glasgow applicants should seek clearance for release for internal secondment from their line manager before making a formal application.
As part of Team UofG you will be a member of a world changing, inclusive community, which values ambition, excellence, integrity and curiosity.
As a valued member of our team, you can expect:
1 A warm welcoming and engaging organisational culture, where your talents are developed and nurtured, and success is celebrated and shared.
2 An excellent employment package with generous terms and conditions including 41 days of leave for full time staff, pension - pensions handbook https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/payandpensions/pensions/, benefits and discount packages.
3 A flexible approach to working.
4 A commitment to support your health and wellbeing, including a free 6-month UofG Sport membership for all new staff joining the University https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/staff/healthwellbeing/.
We believe that we can only reach our full potential through the talents of all. Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our values. Applications are particularly welcome from across our communities and in particular people from the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) community, and other protected characteristics who are under-represented within the University. Read more on how the University promotes and embeds all aspects of equality and diversity within our community https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/.
We endorse the principles of Athena Swan https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/athenaswan/ and hold bronze, silver and gold awards across the University.
We are investing in our organisation, and we will invest in you too. Please visit our website https: // www. gla.ac.uk/explore/jobs/ for more information.
Vacancy Ref : 139092 Close Date : 22-Feb-2024 23:45