Position InformationPosition Title Human Resources Associate – Health and Benefits
Posting Number 02023SA Location New Westminster/Coquitlam Campus Grade or Pay Level A - Pay Band 5 Salary Range - Position Type Administration - Temporary Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Temporary Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Administration Start Date 11/27/2023 End Date 03/31/2025 Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays Shift N/A Work Arrangements
This temporary full-time position is available starting November 27, 2023 . Regular hours of work are Monday to Friday 8:30 am – 4:30 pm. Douglas College (DC) is committed to supporting a healthy work/life balance for Employees. As per the DC Administration Policy A70 Work from Home, College employees may be eligible to work from home on a part-time basis, subject to operational requirements and approval by their Responsible Administrator (RA).
Douglas College is committed to supporting a healthy work/life balance for employees. We offer:
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Human Resources Associate – Health and Benefits provides timely, accurate and consistent service and administrative support in the areas of employee relations, labour relations, group benefits and pension administration to management, supervisors and employees of the College. This position requires sound judgment and adherence to confidentiality in the application of policies and procedures.
Under the supervision of the Manager, Employee Health and Benefits, the Human Resources Associate – Health and Benefits is accountable for the following:
• Supporting, implementing and maintaining a range of activities specific to the department including, correspondence, payroll documentation, group benefits, disability and pension administration and records management; • Administers group benefit programs in accordance with the group benefit plans, pensions and collective agreement provisions and terms and conditions of employment. • Responds to employee enquires regarding enrolment, changes and terminations, investigating problems with respect to coverage or claims and making necessary adjustments, liaising with benefits providers, insurance carriers, pension plans and other agencies. Maintains currency with information from these agencies in order to interpret situations and comply with regulations, terms and conditions. Refers matters of a complex nature to the attention of the Manager, Employee Health and Benefits. • Processes employee information such as new hires, leaves, terminations, salary changes, re-classification and status changes. Responsibilities include reviewing employee data and researching policy or collective agreements, providing information to employee and/or Managers regarding process and implications of change, performing calculations, and liaising with payroll. Completing documentation and keying information into Banner HRIS and other related databases while carrying out assignments with a high degree of judgment, confidentiality and accuracy. • Works with Payroll Services to ensure all employee benefits are calculated promptly and accurately, and that adequate records to support these payments are maintained. • Works collaboratively with Payroll department to ensure efficient and seamless processing, information sharing and in the development of policies and procedures that impact these departments. • Assists with processing and administration of disability claims, return to work and rehabilitation issues. • Processes employee and practicum student WorkSafeBC claims. • Assists with development and implementation of wellness and retirement program planning. Sources appropriate external sources for development and delivery. • Maintains, and updates benefit website pages. • Identifies, recommends, develops and participates in the implementation of strategies to improve efficiency and effectiveness of processes related to HRIS, benefits and disability software and other systems that may be used. • Reviewing, confirming and ensuring the integrity and accuracy of information entered in Banner HRIS and other benefit related systems using scheduled and adhoc audit reports. • Responding to a variety of requests by telephone, e-mail, and in-person from management, faculty, staff, students and the general public regarding salary, increments, leaves, benefits, disability and other matters as they arise. • Answering queries regarding DCFA and BCGEU Collective agreements, policies, procedures and employment guidelines. • Identifying and referring complicated matters on issues requiring further interpretation to the Human Resources Advisors, Managers and the Director. • Participating on selection panels where required; • Managing and maintaining the auxiliary pool dispatch system, including hiring, supervising, evaluating, coaching and disciplining when necessary, ensuring adherence to the BCGEU Collective Agreement. • Proactively promoting the College's Auxiliary Pool by identifying passive staffing needs within the College and identifying qualified candidates where applicable. • Establishing, organizing and maintaining all employee records and various office files including ensuring compliance with Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy legislation. • Undertakes various projects as directed by the Manager. • Participates as a team member on a variety of Human Resources projects. • Providing back-up to other Human Resources Associates and Advisors as required. • Performing other related duties as required.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
• Completion of a post-secondary degree or diploma in a directly related program (such as: Human Resources Management) with a minimum of two years' of benefits related experience in a unionized Human Resources environment including experience working with collective agreements and confidential issues. A CEBS designation is an asset.
• Demonstrated knowledge of statutory and insured benefit plans, as well as provincial pension plans.
• Good understanding of BC Employment Standards, Human Rights, and Privacy legislation, and ability to handle highly confidential information with tact and discretion;
• Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, Banner HRIS (or other complex, integrated Human Resources Information System including spreadsheets and databases).
• Proven ability to meet changing priorities, to multitask, deal with frequent interruptions, to meet Human Resources and Payroll deadlines and to make responsible decisions by exercising good judgment resulting in work that is of a high quality.
• Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to deal effectively with all employee groups on a diverse range of matters; ability to effectively organize and carry out a variety of job assignments with a high degree of confidentiality.
• Demonstrated commitment to and proficiency in customer service excellence.
• Demonstrated ability to work with considerable independence, discretion, and initiative combined with the ability to work in a collaborative manner in a team environment, including exercising initiative in offering assistance to colleagues.
• Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with conflict in a professional manner.
• Strong ability to organize tasks to meet deadlines and ensure prompt responses regarding queries and issues to employees, supervisors and management.
• Good mathematical and analytical skills with strong attention to detail.
• Excellent command of the English language, both written and oral.
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check No
Posting Detail InformationOpen Date 10/16/2023
Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview will need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https: // www. douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/11400Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
(Open Ended Question)
(Open Ended Question)