carbon sequestrationTemporary contract 48 months Belvaux Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us
The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of materials, environment and IT. By transforming scientific knowledge into technologies, smart data and tools, LIST empowers citizens in their choices, public authorities in their decisions and businesses in their strategies.
Do you want to know more about LIST? Check our website: https: // www. list.lu/
Discover our Environmental Research and Innovation department: ERIN DepartmentHow will you contribute?
The primary research question associated with this PhD position is: Can microbial traits and the soil microbial necromass continuum be used to predict soil carbon sequestration in cropland soil?
The PhD researcher carries out doctoral research in the framework of a specific project (MATRICES).
The project will rely on traits archived in reference genomes (WP1) and generated from functional assays of microbial necromass cycling (WP2) and site-specific metagenome-assembled-genomes (MAGs) (WP3), combined into predictive models (WP4).
The outcomes of the project will be threefold: 1) novel insights into microbial traits and soil C sequestration; 2) an early career researcher trained in cutting edge ‘omics, functional and modelling techniques for linking microbial traits to ecosystem-scale process rates; 3) a new network of DNA-SIP researchers with a link to Luxembourg.
You will be trained in ‘omics, modelling, stable isotopes, process-based soil assays, and science communication (writing, presenting and outreach). You will have the opportunity to directly collaborate with the Luxembourg Ministry for Agriculture, and project partners in France (Dr Aurélie Cebron, CNRS) and the USA (Dr Roland Wilhelm, Purdue University).
The outcome of the thesis is valorised through different streams, such as publications and patents.
You work will be supervised by a LIST supervisor (Dr Kate Buckeridge) and co-supervisors (Dr Malte Herold, Dr Magda Calusinska, Dr Xavier Goux) and the PhD award will be granted by a partner University (University of Luxembourg). The PhD researcher will be incorporated into the RDI group Agro- Environmental Systems at LIST and will hierarchically report to the group leader (Dr Jürgen Junk).
Your main tasks will be:
DISSEMINATION, VALORISATION AND TRANSFER
Experience and skills
Ideally you should have skills in bioinformatics, metagenomics, soil ecology, stable isotope ecology and biogeochemistry.
It will be sufficient if you have skills in bioinformatics and metagenomics, basic training in chemistry or molecular biology (e.g., a science degree) and an interest to gain skills in soil ecology and stable isotope ecology.
You should have interest about tackling global challenges and interest in the practical applications of fundamental science.
· An organization with a passion for impact and strong RDI partnerships in Luxembourg and Europe that works on responsible and independent research projects
· Sustainable by design, empowering our belief that we play an essential role in paving the way to a green society
· Innovative infrastructures and exceptional labs occupying more than 5,000 square metres, including innovations in all that we do
· An environment encouraging curiosity, innovation and entrepreneurship in all areas
· Personalized learning programme to foster our staff's soft and technical skills
· Multicultural and international work environment with more than 50 nationalities represented in our workforce
· Diverse and inclusive work environment empowering our people to fulfil their personal and professional ambitions
· Gender-friendly environment with multiple actions to attract, develop and retain women in science
· 32 days' paid annual leave, 11 public holidays, 13-month salary, statutory health insurance
· Flexible working hours, home working policy and access to lunch vouchers
Your application must include:
· A motivation letter oriented towards the position and detailing your experience
· A scientific CV with contact details
· List of publications (and patents, if applicable)
· Contact details of 2 references
Application procedure and conditions
· LIST is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to hiring and retaining diverse personnel. We value all applicants and will consider all competent candidates for employment without regard to national origin, race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, religion, age or disability
· Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled
· An assessment committee will review the applications and select candidates based on guidelines that aim to ensure equal opportunities
· The main criteria for selection will be the correspondence of the existing skills and expertise of the applicant with the requirements mentioned above
PhD additional conditions:
· Supervisor at LIST: Dr. Kate BUCKERIDGE [email protected]
· Co-supervision: Dr Malte Herold, Dr Magda Calusinska, Dr Xavier Goux
· Work location: Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), Belvaux, Luxembourg
· PhD enrolment: University of Luxembourg, Belval, Luxembourg
Applications for this position should be submitted by 24/02/2024.
Please note the universities costs are at the charge of the student.
Your master diploma has to be recognized in Luxembourg. Please refer to:
https: // www. uni.lu/en/admissions/diploma-recognition/
https: // guichet.public.lu/fr/citoyens/enseignement-formation/etudes- superieures/reconnaissance-diplomes.htmlREQUIREDLANGUAGES
To be considered for this position it is crucial that you have knowledge of the following languages
Write C1 Advanced
Speak C1 Advanced
minimum required Education
Required work experience in years
0 or more years
Hours per week
Recruiter in charge