The main purpose of this new post is to bring about change management in data quality and governance at the University, and to address data related challenges which impact on delivery of the University's strategic objectives.
As a Data Governance Manager you will be responsible for leading the Data Governance Team whose responsibilities include implementation of data quality and governance initiatives, compilation of statutory returns, effective management of student surveys and facilitating the response of internal and external data requests.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Lead the Data Governance Team within Planning, Insight and Analytics. Set priorities and ensure the efficient running of statutory data collections, various student surveys and the provision of student data for a wide range of uses, including Freedom of Information Act responses.
2. Roll out a robust and sustainable data governance operating model, in line with our draft Data & Analytics Framework, with a focus on the improvement of data quality and the protection of data through modifications to organisational behaviour, policies and standards, principles, governance metrics, processes, related tools and data management.
3. Serve as a liaison between business/functional and technical teams across the university to ensure that consideration is given to the requirements for maintaining high data quality thresholds and data governance mechanisms as part of process improvement and transformational change activities.
4. Develop processes to maintain inventory of data definitions within the University's information systems to enable tracing of data from the source system through to reporting and dashboards.
5. Facilitate the development and implementation of systematic data quality standards and controls and ensure these are met by colleagues across the University.
6. Facilitate the development and maintenance of a detailed audit of the University's primary business systems and information assets that are held in these systems, as well as the people and teams responsible for gathering and using these assets.
7. Define indicators of data-related performance and quality metrics and ensure compliance with data related policies, standards, roles and responsibilities, and adoption requirements.
8. Facilitate the implementation of new data quality and governance information systems, and promote user engagement across the University to optimise system use.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
A1 Educated to degree level or equivalent professional experience.
A2 Knowledge of industry leading data quality and data protection management practices.
A3 Knowledge of data governance practices, business and technology issues related to management of enterprise information assets.
A4 Knowledge of data related government regulatory requirements and emerging trends and issues.
B1 Demonstrable project management experience within data migration or statutory returns projects.
B2 Higher education sector experience in a data or related field.
C1 Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work with internal and external stakeholders at all levels of an organisation.
C2 Strategic awareness and ability to make strategic choices.
C3 Political sensitivity and environment awareness.
C4 Excellent skills in influencing and working with internal and external partners.
C5 Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
C6 Ability to make effective decisions under pressure and to tight timescales.
C7 Proven analytical and problem-solving ability.
C8 IT skills relevant to the role with a good understanding of project management methodologies and recognised ways to centrally manage project activities using tools such as JIRA, MS project Excel and Word.
D1 Able to use data quality and governance tools e.g. Great Expectations, Data Hub, Alteryx, Talend, Oracle Master Data Management.
E1 Significant experience in a relevant professional role.
E2 Staff leadership and management.
E3 Experience of influencing teams and individuals where the post holder does not have any direct line management responsibility.
E4 A well-developed awareness of the politics and challenges of the higher education landscape and experience of managing expectations around these.
E5 A track record in contributing to and/or making and/or influencing strategic decision making through your work.
E6 Experience of managing change effectively and motivating others to embrace change.
E7 Use of KPIs to drive performance and evidence improvement.
F1 Substantial experience of the higher education operating environment and its cultures.
Terms and Conditions
Salary will be Grade 8, £48,350 - £56,021 per annum.
This post is full time (35 hours per week) and fixed term for up to 12 months or until the substantive postholder returns.
Please Note: If you are a current employee of the University of Glasgow, please be advised that the University would consider an internal secondment opportunity for this post. University of Glasgow applicants should seek clearance for release for internal secondment from their line manager before making a formal application.
As part of Team UofG you will be a member of a world changing, inclusive community, which values ambition, excellence, integrity and curiosity.
As a valued member of our team, you can expect:
1 A warm welcoming and engaging organisational culture, where your talents are developed and nurtured, and success is celebrated and shared.
2 An excellent employment package with generous terms and conditions including 41 days of leave for full time staff, pension - pensions handbook https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/payandpensions/pensions/, benefits and discount packages.
3 A flexible approach to working.
4 A commitment to support your health and wellbeing, including a free 6-month UofG Sport membership for all new staff joining the University https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/staff/healthwellbeing/.
We believe that we can only reach our full potential through the talents of all. Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our values. Applications are particularly welcome from across our communities and in particular people from the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) community, and other protected characteristics who are under-represented within the University. Read more on how the University promotes and embeds all aspects of equality and diversity within our community https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/.
We endorse the principles of Athena Swan https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/athenaswan/ and hold bronze, silver and gold awards across the University.
We are investing in our organisation, and we will invest in you too. Please visit our website https: // www. gla.ac.uk/explore/jobs/ for more information.
Vacancy Ref : 139236 Close Date : 27-Feb-2024 23:45