Job Title: Commercial Lead
Department: School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences
Reporting to: Dr Stephanie Annett and Prof Tracy Robson
Location: RCSI St Stephen's Green/Hybrid
Contract/Duration: Part-time (0.5 FTE), specified-purpose contract (12 months initially with possibility of extension)
Remuneration: Aligned with the IUA Senior Research Fellow Scale (up to Level 4 Point 4)
Closing Date: 15th February 2024
About Our Research
RCSI recognises that excellence in research is critical to the quality of its educational activities, its credibility, and, overall, to its mission to enhance human health. RCSI's research strategy aims to build upon its strength in translational biomedical and clinical research to deliver transformational, high impact changes in health care. Targeting both Irish national and EU funding, along with increased collaboration with industry, is a major part of the RCSI research strategy. Forging increased collaboration between RCSI PIs and industry is of critical importance to achieving success in this area. RCSI is also committed to provide its researchers with the supports and developmental opportunities to enable them to continuously grow and support their overall career development.
Summary of Post
We are seeking an experienced entrepreneur and biotech business development professional, who is interested in a founding leadership role to drive the commercialisation of a portfolio of novel therapeutics in current pre-clinical development. A part-time position is available for this professional to develop the business plan and commercialisation strategy, and work with an experienced team of pharmacists and life scientists to deliver on our strategy. Our project is funded by an Enterprise Ireland Commercialisation Fund. We are developing an innovative mRNA based therapeutic for diseases such as obesity and Type 2 Diabetes and ultimately plan to bring these therapies to market via a biotech start-up. The Commercialisation Fund will deliver a robust preclinical assessment and patent strategy, which will form the basis of a high-potential start-up with a strong IP position. The ideal candidate will be motivated towards a founding and executive role in the spinout in the future beyond this specified-purpose role. They should have deep commercial, regulatory and business development experience in the biotech arena, substantial experience of leading and building teams/start-ups, and experience in raising equity finance.
Specifically, the duties of the post are:
Qualifications – (Essential):
Knowledge & Experience – ( Essential):
We are all too aware that imposter syndrome and the confidence gap can sometimes stop fantastic candidates putting themselves forward, so please do submit an application — we'd love to hear from you.
Please apply online through the RCSI careers portal on the closing date with your CV and cover letter.
Informal Enquiries can be directed to Dr Stephanie Annett, Lecturer of Pharmacy at [email protected] , or to Dr Aoife Gallagher, Head of Innovation, at [email protected]. Please note we do not accept CVs directly.
RCSI make sure you have the resources you need to thrive by offering a wide range of benefits in areas including time away, finance, community, health, and well-being and insuring your financial future. Below are some additional benefits available to you as an RCSI employee:
• Minimum of 10 days annual leave, plus an additional 6.5 Privilege days
• Flexible/hybrid working options for colleagues across many roles
• Additional leave options incl. paid maternity leave, paternity/parental leave, study leave
• 7% Employer pension contribution
• Onsite gym €10 per/mth incl. classes and PT sessions
• Childcare support 20% discount at Giraffe
• Free eye test and annual flu vaccination
• TaxSaver commuter tickets and Bike to Work schemes
• A site sustainability team focusing on the environmental initiatives; Green Campus Initiative '
• Competitively priced café and restaurant
• Equality, Diversity & Inclusion forums, and network groups
• Employee assistance programme with Spectrum Life
• Learning and Development training programmes incl. LinkedIn Learning for career progression
• Discounted services incl. GP visits, 10% off dental, staff parking, mobile tariffs, Group Scheme discount on numerous brands
• Sports and social club incl. yoga, Pilates, fitness classes, Zumba, running club, social evenings, Summer BBQ
• Ticket Draws for events including; Rugby, Taste of Dublin, Dublin Horse Show, theatre, music & comedy events
Note: This job description may be subject to change to reflect the evolving requirements of the Department and RCSI. Similar vacancies that arise in the next 6 months may be filled from the pool of applicants that apply for this position. RCSI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their gender, civil status, family status, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or race. RCSI is committed to embedding equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) across everything we do. This ensures we can all work and learn in an environment defined by dignity and respect. Eligibility to work in Ireland is a requirement of this role, Proof of eligibility documentation will be required at a later date. Under limited and specific circumstances (research/ specialist roles) RCSI may be in a position to seek a hosting agreement and/or work permits. Employees are required to undertake 6 months service in their current role before applying for other internal opportunities, unless agreed in advance by the SMT representative #rcsia