Position InformationPosition Title Career Coach - Career Paths
Posting Number 02061SA Location Burnaby Grade or Pay Level See Salary Range Salary Range $27.50 to $32.16 per hour. Salary is based on education and experience Position Type Training Group Contract Employment Posting Type Internal/External Regular/Temporary Regular and Contract Employment Type Full-Time Posting Category Training Group Start Date 12/18/2023 End Date 12/17/2024 Day of the Week Mondays to Fridays, Other - Some evenings & weekends. Shift n/a Work Arrangements
35 hours per week. Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
The position is on site at Burnaby Training Centre however some travel is required between delivery sites in New Westminster, Coquitlam and Surrey in addition to travel across the Lower Mainland.
What Douglas Offers
DO what you love. Be good at it. That's how Douglas College defines a great career. It's a philosophy that resonates through our classrooms, our offices and our boardrooms. It inspires our students and drives us to make Douglas College one of BC's Top Employers. We love what we do. And we're looking for passionate, motivated people to join us in making one of Canada's best colleges even better.
The Career Coach contributes to the success of Douglas College and its community of learners and will be responsible as part of the Career Paths for Skilled Immigrants' team to assist program participants in finding work in their field of expertise.
The intent of the Career Paths for Skilled Immigrants program is to improve employment outcomes for Skilled Immigrants in BC by leveraging their pre- arrival skills and qualifications which thereby contributes to higher earnings and facilitates progress towards re-credentialing where appropriate. This, in turn, benefits the BC Labour Market. Participants have pre-landing experience as College/Vocational or University Professors, Community Service Workers, ECE or ECE Assistants and are seeking commensurate or aligned work in their fields of expertise.
- Program marketing and participant recruitment;
- Individualized needs assessment and action planning which includes up-to- date and detailed steps on pathways to certification and/or employment for University Professors, College and Vocational Instructors, Community Service Workers, Early Childhood Educators and ECE Assistants;
- Assisting professional newcomer clients to research their occupational field and the local labour market;
- Identifying and addressing clients' employment and licensure barriers;
- Coaching skilled immigrants in effective strategies specific to their occupational goal;
- Developing and facilitating online and face-to-face occupation specific workshops for skilled immigrants;
- Coordinating and monitoring online and face-to-face delivery within the Career Paths program;
- Job development and placement monitoring;
- Reporting and tracking participant outcomes and activities with accuracy;
- Establishing priorities, setting and meeting deadlines;
- Adapting to constantly changing requirements and working well under pressure;
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues, program participants, community service providers and employers.
To Be Successful in this Role You Will Need
- A Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education, training and career consulting experience;
- minimum 2 to 3 years' case management experience which has focused on Canadian workplace orientation and career development/work search strategies for skilled newcomers;
- Proven experience and outcomes in coaching internationally trained professionals to use pre-landing education, experience and skills to obtain commensurate level work & navigate relevant licensing processes.
- Experience with designing, developing and leading or moderating in-person and online webinars and workshops. Knowledge of Blackboard or equivalent preferred; - Knowledge of Canadian workplace practices and current labour market knowledge across a range of industry sectors;
- Solid experience liaising with teaching faculty, regulatory or certification bodies, community service providers and agencies, networking with employers to develop program services, job leads, and to meet contract performance targets;
- Advanced digital proficiency and adept at learning and using new technology;
- Excellent team player; ability to calmly handle changing circumstances;
- Ability to adjust to a flexible schedule (weekends, evenings)
- Access to public transit or a vehicle and valid BC Driver's license is required. - Knowledge of Skills for Success an asset;
Link to Full Position Profile Equity Statement
Douglas College is committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable learning and working environment. In support of this journey, we welcome all people to apply, including people from groups that are experiencing inequity, including, but not limited, to Indigenous Peoples, racialized or persons of colour, persons with mental or physical disabilities, persons who identify as women, and/or persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, and persons of all faith identities, age, marital status, and parental status.
Needs a Criminal Records Check Yes
Posting Detail InformationOpen Date 11/17/2023
Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Interested applicants must submit their application and all required documents online. Qualified internal applicants shall be given first consideration in filling this position. Please ensure your resume clearly explains how you meet the required knowledge, skills and abilities of the position for which you are applying. All candidates selected for interview may need to bring original certificates and diplomas of educational credentials noted on their resume.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting https: // www. douglascollegecareers.ca/postings/11577Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
(Open Ended Question)
(Open Ended Question)