Position InformationJob Title Tutor, Professional, Chemistry
The Center for Academic Engagement Professional Tutor provides tutoring to enhance the learning of students in specific subject areas. As a provider of learning support, the Professional Tutor responds to the individual needs of students by personalizing tutoring strategies and methodologies.
Use a variety of instructional techniques in tutoring sessions to meet students' learning needs.
Integrate effective study and learning strategies to maximize students' potential for academic progress.
Conduct group tutoring sessions and workshops.
Collaborate with Center for Academic Engagement staff, faculty, student support services staff, and other college constituents to deliver a comprehensive learning support program.
Maintain a positive, learner-centered, and professional environment.
Develop resources for student, faculty, and staff use.
Follow and communicate Center for Academic Engagement policies and procedures.
Keep accurate records of tutoring sessions.
Participate in professional development opportunities to enhance learning support skills.
Promote the college's tutoring program during outreach activities and events.
Demonstrate and model the college's employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility, and teamwork.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities:
Participate in job-related workshops and training to enhance job performance.
Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
Difficult Challenges Contacts Education Required
Associate degree or junior standing from/at a regionally accredited postsecondary institution with documented successful completion of undergraduate coursework in Chemistry.
Demonstrated expertise in Chemistry
Bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited postsecondary institution
Previous experience providing learning support and/or instruction
Three years of experience providing learning support and/or instruction
Previous work experience in an educational institution
Experience tutoring and/or instructing English language learners
Experience tutoring and/or instructing students with disabilities
Proficiency in using learning management systems (e.g. Moodle)
The Professional Tutor shall possess an understanding of and commitment to the nature and role of the Community College, particularly its “open door” policy. He/she shall have demonstrated personal and professional competence for the responsibilities assigned. The Professional Tutor must be able to:
2. Respect diversity and promote an inclusive, culturally responsive environment
3. Adapt to changing procedures, protocols, or assignments
4. Communicate and promote the Center for Academic Engagement with a wide range of individuals and constituents
KSA Preferred Department/Job Specific Requirements
Mandatory GTCC Trainings (upon initial hire) and annual updates as required; other required trainings may be added as needed):
1. Reporting Requirements
2. Discrimination & Anti-Harassment (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
3. Shooter on Campus (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
4. Personal Information Protection (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
5. Ethics and Social Responsibility (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
6. Safety training (Bloodborne Pathogens and E-Vac Chair)
1. Must be able to get to other offices, buildings, campus locations and off- site locations as necessary to complete requirements of the job.
2. Must be able to work flexible hours.
3. Physical requirements include periods of sitting at a computer and standing.
4. Must be able to lift, pull/push and carry up to 20 pounds.
Other: Criminal history checks, with acceptable results, are required.
Posting Type Part-Time Staff
Posting Detail InformationPosting Number 2018-004-TEMP-P
Open Date 05/09/2023 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to ApplicantsSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().Documents Needed To Apply