Position Title Student Worker - Earth and Environmental Science Teaching Assistant
Position Approval Date 08/15/2023 Is this position budgeted? Is this position an essential position? About Susquehanna
As a living, learning and working community, Susquehanna University affirms its commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive campus. As we seek to embody the rich diversity of the human community, we commit ourselves to the full participation of persons who represent the breadth of human difference. The university encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Susquehanna University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Susquehanna University is a national liberal arts college committed to excellence in educating students for productive, creative and reflective lives of achievement, leadership and service in a diverse, dynamic and interdependent world. Its more than 2,300 undergraduates come from 35 states and 22 countries, and all students study away through Susquehanna's unique Global Opportunities program. Susquehanna University's 325 acre campus, noted for its beauty, is located in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, 50 miles north of Harrisburg in the scenic Susquehanna River Valley, about a three hour drive from Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and New York City. For more information, please visit https: // www. susqu.edu.
Job Summary: The Earth and Environmental Science Teaching Assistant will assist the course instructor with the responsibilities of the course, which could include activities inside or outside of class, grading, lab preparation or clean up, driving a University vehicle, individual student assistance, review sessions, and basic instruction. This is a temporary, non-benefit eligible, non-exempt position as defined by FLSA standards.
· Assist the course instructor in teaching the lecture and/or lab component of the course
· Assist the course instructor with lab setup and cleanup, if appropriate
· Work individually with students inside and outside of class
· Drive a University vehicle, if needed
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
· Knowledge of the course material is required.
· Skilled at written and verbal communication.
· Ability to work with students in the course.
Students will learn how to assist the course instructor in the responsibilities of teaching the course. Students will develop time management, leadership, organization, and oral communication skills.
Location: This student worker position is located on campus
Sophomore, Junior, or Senior who are majoring in EENV, ENST, BIOL, CHEM, ECOL with a 3.0 minimum GPA required
Progress in relevant major, prior successful completion of the course the student is assisting (or equivalent), ability to participate in all scheduled lab sections and participate in after-hours instruction as needed.
· This position nis paid $8.50 per hour and is approximately 6 hours per week
· Valid driver's license and clean driving record may be required for most courses.
· Position requires the ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time.
· Position requires the ability to move about the campus.
· Position requires the ability to talk and to hear instruction.
· Position requires occasional manual dexterity and the ability to use fingers, hands, and arms to feel, handle, and reach.
· Position requires occasional stooping, crouching and bending.
· Position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 10 pounds. Working conditions are indoor and outdoor.
Preferred Qualifications Special Instructions to the Applicant Benefits Eligible No Number of Months 9 months Additional Work Schedule Details? Hours per week during the academic year (39 wks) Hours per week during the summer (13 wks) Status Temporary Posting Date 08/21/2023 Closing Date 10/06/2023 Full-Time/Part-Time Temporary Open Until Filled No Anticipated Start Date Posting Number AH01019Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().