Do you want to help make a difference by delivering and developing Denis Law Legacy Trust's exciting projects?
We're on the lookout for enthusiastic coaches who can play a key role in implementing the long-term strategy of a growing and fulfilling programme. Working in targeted areas of Aberdeen, our Streetsport programme supports and empowers young people to be confident, capable, independent and responsible citizens within their own communities through sport and creative activities.
Your role will primarily be to engage with and deliver activity to children and young people during our Club 10 sessions, which take place in HMP Grampian and the community. You will possess a strong commitment to encouraging and supporting the development of young people, being a role model and providing guidance where possible.
A driving license is essential for this role whilst relevant youth work qualifications and NGB coaching awards are desirable. Enthusiasm and motivational skills are a must, as is the ability to relate well to young people from various backgrounds. A history of adapting sessions in diverse environments such as prisons, schools, parks, astro pitches and carparks would be beneficial and having the experience of working in a team plus the ability to use your own initiative is also imperative. In short, you must have the energy, drive and confidence to help play a major role in Denis Law Legacy Trust's delivery and therefore helping to ensure young people thrive.
Salary on appointment is £12.17 per hour. The working hours of the role are ad hoc and will be Saturday mornings plus the possibility of weekday evenings generally between 18:30 and 22:00 - varying from week-to-week depending on availability and operational demand. You will be expected to work between 2 and 8 hours per week.
This post is subject to the individual being required to join the PVG scheme. For more information, visit: https: // www. mygov.scot/pvg-scheme/
To apply please complete the short personal details form and submit your CV along with a covering letter detailing why you are applying for the position.Job Description
RESPONSIBLE TO : Streetsport Outreach Development Officer
RESPONSIBLE FOR : Volunteers and Streetsport participants
PURPOSE OF POST : To ensure Streetsport sessions are run safely and effectively, to provide a rewarding experience for both participants and volunteers and to provide mentoring and guidance to the young people we work with.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES :
• Coaches ensure Streetsport sessions are safe, fun and inclusive environments. They also ensure sessions are youth led and that a variety of activity is provided.
• Coaches must be familiar with the opportunities the Denis Law Legacy Trust can offer young people. They will be able to signpost as well as identify young people that may benefit from our programming.
• Coaches must feedback statistics as well as assist with Denis Law Legacy Trust related research.
• In relation to volunteers, coaches must aid with retention and coordination of both small and large teams of volunteers.
• Coaches must be able to communicate effectively to volunteers, participants and all staff. In addition, coaches must work efficiently with partner organisations.
• Follow all Health and Safety procedures and guidance and ensure all procedures and policies are being followed at each and every Streetsport session.
• Ensure that all aims and objectives of the Denis Law Legacy Trust are being met.
• Monitor and react accordingly to any challenging situations that may occur at sessions and report to line manager. Be prepared to work with and develop the potential of young people in challenging situations.
• Attend quarterly staff training, wear appropriate Denis Law Legacy Trust uniform at work and carry out any other related duties as required by the Streetsport Development Officers.Person Specification
Full UK driving license
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
Child protection workshop
Valid NGB qualifications
NGB Sport Coaching Awards
Qualifications in youth work
Knowledge and Skills
Commitment to the personal development of young people
Motivated by success and high standards
Flexible and willing to travel and work unsociable hours
Willing to accept responsibility and act on own initiative
Sports Coaching experience
Youth Work experienceBehaviours
Behaviour 1: Decision Making - Experience of using own judgement to make decisions, making collaborative decisions with others to reach conclusions and providing advice or information that will influence the decisions of others
Behaviour 2: Service Delivery - Experience of giving customers a positive and satisfactory service, by providing accurate and up to date knowledge of services available in own and related areas of work
Behaviour 3: Team Work and Motivation - Experience of participating in a team, cooperating and contributing when required
Behaviour 4: Communication - Ability to receive, understand and convey straight forward information in a clear and accurate manner