Position InformationJob Title Shift Supervisor, Custodial Operations
Full Time / Part Time Full Time Job Type Staff Reports To Manager of Custodial Operations Position Summary
This position is accountable for assisting the Manager of Custodial Operations in delivering institutional housekeeping programs to ensure clean, orderly and attractive conditions throughout all non-leased campus buildings and suites, including accurately and timely set-up and break-down for special events. This position has primary responsibility for housekeeping activities on one of three shifts, which will be determined upon successful completion of a probationary period.
This position reports to the Manager of Custodial Operations. To perform this function, assigned shift leadpersons and custodians report to this position.
Bryant University is a private New England university with a tradition of innovation and a global vision for success. Our new strategic plan, Vision 2030 , sets a trajectory for the next decade through academic excellence, outstanding student life, competitive athletics and student outcomes among the nation's top 1% for ROI.
1. Effectively manages assigned shift to ensure that campus facilities are clean and attractive, closely monitoring task performance to ensure compliance with quality standards and to identify areas for service enhancements and/or improvement efficiencies.
2. Effectively assist in recruitment of assigned staff; and train, coach and supervise employees in a manner that results in a highly motivated staff, with an emphasis on providing staff with orientation on department policy, procedures, and work standards. Ensure that supervisory practices are in compliance with the spirit and intent of EEO/AA and contractual obligations.
3. Assist with the cost-effective acquisition and assessment of materials (housekeeping, campus flooring, and residential furniture). Monitor and control inventory through an inventory and disbursement monitoring system. Maintain accurate and timely S.D.S. records.
4. Participate in accurate and timely room event management, i.e., set-up and break-down of appropriate equipment to support faculty, staff and special events.
5. Provide ongoing means of communicating with assigned staff regarding department quality standards and priorities through regularly scheduled staff meetings and training. Perform regular daily inspections of spaces throughout campus.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
Certain requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate persons with disabilities.
This position is best served by an individual with two years progressive experience as a supervisor of custodial services at an institution of higher education or a facility of similar size and scope; two or more years of post- secondary education preferred. Demonstrated understanding of, and experience with, effective methods of cleaning, and a strong customer service orientation are important. Prior snow removal experience a plus. Strong interpersonal and human resources skills, as well as the ability to effectively manage union employees within the parameters of a collective bargaining agreement are required. The ability to work independently is required. Knowledge of OSHA, S.D.S., RIDEM and APPA is important. Demonstrated computer skills are required including MS Office. Experience with a CMMS system is required. This role has been classified as a member of our essential personnel and may be required to work off-shift hours, including holdovers and callbacks, based on business needs or in emergency situations.
Bryant University recognizes that its position as a leader in higher education is greatly determined both by the diversity of its campus community and its intellectual endeavors. Its commitment to link academic and social diversity for the benefit of the learning and living environment reflects its belief that excellence and diversity are mutually reinforcing objectives. We are committed to building an equitable and inclusive campus community, one that values individual difference and fosters greater understanding of the many facets of diversity and other distinctive characteristics that make us different. We encourage applications from candidates with an appreciation for and understanding of diverse backgrounds and experiences. Learn more about our ongoing commitment to building a community of inclusive excellence.
Regular attendance at assigned job site and the ability to work collaboratively with coworkers and constituents are essential functions of this position.
Posting Detail InformationPosting Number STA02514
Monday – Friday – 5:00 am – 1:30 pm
Open Date 08/17/2023 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Applicant Special InstructionsSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().Applicant Documents