Riga Technical University (RTU) is a modern internationally recognized university. It is the only polytechnic university in Latvia and the largest university in the country. RTU is focused on becoming a third-generation university that not only provides high-quality education but also conducts advanced research and ensures innovation and technology transfer, practically implementing scientific discoveries. To achieve the goals and continue to ensure the sustainable development of the university and economy,
RIGA TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY Announces an Open International Call for Applications for the Position of the Rector.
Mandatory requirements for the position of the Rector:
- Impeccable reputation;
- Doctor of Science degree (PhD) in one of the fields and/or sub-fields of science in the areas of strategic specialization of RTU as defined in the RTU Charter;
- Advanced Latvian and English skills (no lower than C1 Level);
- At least 5 years of continuous experience in a managerial position, preferably in an academic environment over the past 10 years, which provides the competencies and knowledge required to professionally fulfil the duties of the Rector in this position;
- At least 5 years of continuous experience of working in an international environment, over the past 10 years (e.g., association, society, council, expert group, research group, international projects, international industry organization, project evaluation panels, etc.) in one of the fields and/or sub-fields of science in the areas of strategic specialization of RTU;
- Excellent achievements in science in the last 10 years (compliance with at least one of the requirements):
- At least 5 years of experience in the position of research and/or with development projects (development and implementation, and/or management) (total project funding of no less than 1 million euros);
- At least 5 years of experience in attracting local and/or international private and/or public funding, including for research and innovation projects (total project funding of no less than 1 million euros);
- At least 5 years of experience of scientific or research representation at an international level, for example in expert groups, international industry organizations, associations, societies, councils, research groups, international projects, project evaluation panels, etc.
Additional requirements for candidates for the position of the Rector:
- Experience in a leading position in an academic environment (including that of professor, associate professor, leading researcher, etc.);
- Experience in a managerial position in an international company or organization (including that of higher education and research institutions);
- Experience of working in an international environment (e.g., cooperation between two countries, across the Baltic region, other regional cooperation, global cooperation, etc.);
- Experience as a member of any National Academy of Sciences;
- Excellence and international recognition in research as evidenced by the Hirsch Index.
Candidates for the position of the Rector need to possess thorough understanding of the following aspects:
- Management of organizations/enterprises (knowledge of organizational, financial, real estate management, cooperation with the stakeholders, understanding of the regulatory framework, etc.);
- Team/Personnel management;
- Development and implementation of a strategy;
- Improvement of academic and scientific environment;
- Provision of high-quality studies;
- Valorisation in the academic and scientific environment;
- Institutional excellence;
- RTU’s operation and governance, regulatory framework, best corporate governance practices, public administration and system operation;
- Financial management;
- Representation of the institution/enterprise in Latvia and the international environment, in cooperation with stakeholders, society, and students.
Management competencies required for candidates for the position of the Rector:
- change management and focus on development;
- leadership, team management, and team development;
- building and maintaining cooperation and relationships;
- strategic vision;
Special conditions for candidates for the position of Rector:
- The provisions of the Law On Prevention of Conflict of Interest in Activities of Public Officials apply to the holder of the office of the Rector;
- Compliance with all requirements of the Immigration Law and related regulations;
- Taking into account that historically the duties of the Rector’s office have included, and RTU expects the Rector’s duties will continue to include handling of information that qualifies as the state secret in accordance with the Law “On State Secrets”, and obtaining a permit for handling such information may be determined as an essential requirement in the job description, during the selection process, until the election of the rector, the Commission and/or the Council may decide on the need to verify the candidates’ compliance with the requirements of Article 9 of the Law “On State Secrets”.
Applicants must submit their application in the form of an electronic document by October 10, 2022 (inclusive), using a secure electronic signature containing a time stamp, by sending it to the e-mail addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Candidates are requested to submit the following documents:
- An electronically signed and dated application (motivation letter), including information on the compliance of the education, experience, skills and other requirements with the position of Rector specified in the call for applications announcement, as well as contact information;
- An electronically signed and dated declaration of the applicant for the position of the Rector (declaration template available Regulation on candidate selection for position of the Rector of Riga Technical university);
- A description of the work experience (Curriculum Vitae) in the attached format (cv template available Rector selection process CV template), which also includes a self-assessment of language skills, indicating the number of employees managed in the last 10 years, and the most important information about the scope of the enterprise/organization, responsibilities, and the most significant achievements in the enterprise/organization;
- Copies of documents certifying higher education (if higher education has been obtained outside Latvia, a document on its academic recognition in Latvia must be attached or candidate shall certify that the obtained education may be aligned to a PhD degree in Latvia); a copy of a document certifying proficiency of state language (submitted by a candidate who has not obtained education in Latvian or it is not the native language of the candidate);
- Other documents and their copies, which confirm compliance with the requirements set forth for the position of RTU Rector and fulfilment of the requirements set forth for the candidate.
We hereby inform you that the candidates advancing to the third selection round will be asked by the Selection Committee to outline their strategic vision (to be submitted in the form of a presentation, up to 15 minutes) about RTU's main future challenges, the most important priorities, providing proposals on actions to be taken and possible solutions for improving RTU operations.
Information about those candidates that the RTU Management Board will decide to put forward to the RTU Constitutional Assembly for election to the office of the RTU Rector will be made public.
The recruitment company SIA "Eiro Personāls" is engaged in the selection process of the Rector of Riga Technical University. Based on Section 25, Paragraph one of the Personal Data Processing Law, we inform you that the personal data in your application documents will be processed to ensure the conduct of this competition. Data processing is carried out by the personnel selection company SIA "Eiro Personāls" and Riga Technical University is the data controller.