Pay Transparency Act: Western University of Health Sciences is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience. The full salary range for this position is defined as the Full Pay Range. The budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position defined as the Expected Pay Scale. Placement within the Expected Pay Scale is determined by internal equity, and relevant qualifications.
Classification Series DetailsFunction College of Osteopathic Medicine
Family Research Classification Series Title Research Technician
Full Salary RangeMinimum $18.43
Expected Pay ScaleMinimum
Posting DetailsPosting Number S01218
Position Title Research Technician Position Status Full-time Campus Western University Campus-Pomona, CA Department 1404-Basic Medical Sciences Job Summary
Perform behavioral, biochemical and electrophysical experiments on animals, analyze and report results.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Individual must be willing to work with live animals mice, rats, shrews, guinea pigs as required) and have the minimum knowledge and experience about genetics and breeding techniques.
These include setting breeders; weaning, collecting biopsies for genotyping, and PCR based genotyping and precise recording of the results.
• Individual must be able to perform precise animal dissection and surgery.
• Individual must have basic knowledge of laboratory procedures and experimentation and ability to analyze and present results.
• Maintaining a detailed precise laboratory notebook is expected.
• Individual is expected to be able to write and execute protocol with a minimum of supervision.
• Good computer skills are necessary for this position. Skills in using laboratory related supplies and equipment are also important.
• As a team member, the individual must be professional, motivated, proactive and willing to take responsibility for the project and make a personal investment to ensure the successful execution of the experiments.
• Individual must exhibit excellent interpersonal skills, and be amenable to instruction and guidance from the principal and other investigators.
• The individual must be flexible and have the ability to work with different investigators and laboratory staff.
• As the project changes, the time allocated to each duty will change.
1. B.S. or higher degree in microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, cell biology or a related biological field;
2. Must have research laboratory experience (1-2 years minimum).
3. Must have experience in animal handling and observation.
List comments regarding work hours
Work hours may vary..
Posting Date 01/31/2023 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Essential Job Duties
Perform behavioral, biochemical and electrophysical experiments on animals (mice, rats, shrews, guinea pigs, as required).
Percentage Of Time 45 Job Duties
Analyze and report the results of the experiments
Percentage Of Time 35 Job Duties
Make solutions, maintain instrumentation and order supplies
Percentage Of Time 20Physical Demands
Physical DemandsDo the essential functions of this job require lifting? Yes
If yes, list maximum weight and duration
WesternU Policy requires persons employed by the University to provide proof of vaccination against the SARS-CoV2 (COVID-19), subject to limited exemptions, regardless of whether the employee is on-site or working authorized to work remotely. Exempted employees, or those whose status of full vaccination is pending, will be required to submit to regular COVID-19 testing for in-person/on-campus work assignments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by any employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be available to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use hands to grasp laboratory objects, equipment and animals (if applicable). The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear, and smell. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hand and arms, climb and stoop. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to (25) pounds. Vision abilities required by this job include close and color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus in order to monitor the various computer screens and instruments used during the physiological processes.
Describe Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be available to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties are routinely performed in a typical laboratory setting. While performing duties in this setting the employee may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme cold (non-weather), and risk of electric shock. The employee is regularly exposed to wet humid conditions (non-weather), moving mechanical parts, and high precarious places. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat (non- weather), and risk of radiation. The noise level in this setting may be loud due to the noise of ventilation system and hydraulic body hoist.Applicant Documents
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
(Open Ended Question)