Job Title RESEARCH SPECIALIST I
Position Number 8150743
Job Category University Staff
Job Type Full-Time
FLSA Status Exempt
Campus Maywood-Health Sciences Campus
Department Name DEPARTMENT OF CANCER BIOLOGY
Location Code Dept of Cancer Biology (06311A)
Is this split and/or fully grant funded? Yes
Duties and Responsibilities
The Fanning lab in the department of Cancer Biology at Loyola University
Chicago Health Sciences Campus invites applicants for a full-time research
technician position working on understanding breast cancer pathology and
developing new therapies. The Research Specialist will assist in experimental
procedures involving tissue or cell cultures and mouse models of breast
cancer. They will be expected to perform basic lab techniques required to
complete the project such as protein-protein interaction assays. They will
also assist in the day-to-day aspects of the lab including supply/equipment
ordering and ensuring compliance with safety regulations. Scientists with
advanced degrees are encouraged to apply as compensation will match
experience. More information can be found at https: // www. FanningLab.com
- Carry out experiments as instructed by Principle Investigator (PI).
- Assist with experimental procedures involving tissue or cell cultures and
mouse models of breast cancer, preparing reagents and solutions, and making
direct experimental measurements.
- Perform basic lab techniques required to complete the project.
- Gather, organize, and record data. Perform analysis of results.
– Contribute to the scientific development and writing of manuscripts and
- Incorporate and develop new protocols and methodologies.
- May assist in ordering lab supplies when required. Maintain orderly records
- Maintain a safe and orderly lab environment. Ensure compliance with safety
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and/or Work Experience
Minimum Education: Required: Bachelors Degree Specify Degree(s): Molecular
Biology, Biology, Biochemistry or Chemistry Minimum Experience: Required: 3-5
years of previous job-related experience
Bachelor's degree in Molecular Biology, Biology, Biochemistry or Chemistry,
Microbiology, Virology, Immunology or similar discipline is required. Master's
degree is preferred.
Required: A minimum of 2 years of full time previous research experience in
an academic or industry setting. Preferred: Applicants with advanced degrees
in Cancer Biology, Molecular Biology, Biology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, and
Immunology are encouraged to apply and compensation will match experience.
- Practical experience with culturing human-derived tissues and using mouse
xenografts. In particular, experience with breast cancer cell lines.
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions and established
- Ability to maintain accuracy and consistency.
- Ability to communicate verbally.
- Ability to finish tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to deal calmly and courteously with people.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to work as an effective team member.
- Ability to organize workflow.
- Ability to work routine job with interpersonal contact skill.
- Ability to interact with internal and external constituents.
Microsoft Office suite of programs
Supervisory Responsibilities No
Required operation of university owned vehicles No
Does this position require direct animal or patient contact? Yes
Physical Demands Lifting, Standing, Repetitive Motions
Working Conditions Lighting, Heating, Ventilation, Odors, Noise, Animals
Open Date 09/10/2021
Special Instructions to Applicants
Quick Link for Posting https: // www. careers.luc.edu/postings/17223
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
Public Job Posting
Internal Job Posting
Why do you want to work for Loyola University Chicago?
(Open Ended Question)
Do you have a bachelor's degree?
Cover Letter/Letter of Application