The successful candidate will contribute to research objectives within the subject specialism. In research, to develop and appropriately contribute to the formulation and management of research projects that lead to publications in world leading journals and grant income proposals. For appointment at Grade 8, the post-holder will work independently, playing a leading role in developing the research, and make a significant contribution to the management and direction of the complex and challenging project(s) as opportunities allow. The successful candidate will hold a PhD (or be very close to completion).
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Perform the following activities under the supervision of a senior mentor:
1. Take a leading role in the planning and conduct of research projects, taking responsibility for a core element as appropriate, in accordance with the project objectives and project/School/College/University research strategy.
2. Write up research findings/outcomes for publication in world leading journals for dissemination as appropriate. Document research output including analysis and interpretation of all data, maintaining records and databases, drafting progress reports and papers as appropriate.
3. Establish and maintain a personal research profile and reputation and that of the School/College/University. Establish and sustain a track record of independent and joint publications of world leading quality in high profile/quality refereed journals, enhancing the research impact in terms of economic/societal benefit, gathering indicators of esteem and identifying opportunities for knowledge exchange.
4. Present work at international and national conferences, at internal and external seminars, colloquia and workshops to develop and enhance the research profile of the School/College/University.
5. Take a leading role in the identification of potential funding sources and assist in the development of proposals to secure funding from internal and external bodies, planning and developing a line of research activities.
6. Take a leading role in developing and maintaining collaborations with colleagues across the project and in the broader School/College/University and wider community (e.g. Academic and other collaborators/partners).
7. Engage in personal, professional and career development, to enhance both specialist and transferable skills in accordance with desired career trajectory.
8. Undertake any other duties, including a limited teaching component and/or PGR supervision, in consultation with the PI.
9. Contribute to the enhancement of the University's international profile in line with the University's Strategic Plan - Inspiring People – Changing the World.
https:// www. gla.ac.uk/about/strategy/people/
For appointment at Grade 8:
Demonstrate leadership and independence in the above duties, particularly in relation to planning, funding, collaborating, publishing research and mentoring colleagues. In addition:
1. Take responsibility for the research team, playing a leading role in the management and development of the project, working independently and in collaboration to bring the project to a successful completion including establishing and maintaining external collaborations both nationally and internationally.
2. Sustain an extensive research profile and reputation of independent and joint publications of world leading quality in high profile/quality refereed journals, enhancing the research impact in terms of economic/societal benefit, gathering indicators of esteem and identifying opportunities for knowledge exchange.
3. Supervise students and act as co-supervisor for PGR students as assigned by the Head of School/Subject.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills and Experience
A1 Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework level 12 (PhD) or submitted and at pre-viva stage by agreed start date.
A2 Specialist theoretical and practical knowledge in areas relevant to the field of research A3 Sufficient breadth and depth of knowledge in specialist subject and of research methods, data sources and techniques to work within the subject area.
For appointment at Grade 8:
A1 Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework level 12 (PhD)
A4 A comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of current issues and future directions within the wider subject area and subject specialism.
A5 Membership of a professional body, where appropriate.
C1 Ability to analyse and organise resources in order to manage time and workload effectively. C2 Research creativity and strong cross-discipline collaborative ability as appropriate. C3 Ability to communicate material of a specialist or highly technical nature and to be effective both orally and in writing at a level appropriate to the activity, including public presentations. C4 Ability to apply policy, practice and procedures including broader University/sector external (e.g. commercial) awareness. C5 Proven initiative and judgement to resolve problems independently and/or as part of a team. C6 Good leadership skills including demonstrable supervisory skills as appropriate. C7 Proven ability to write up research work for publication.
C8 Ability to communicate to a wide-ranging audience, from those with a limited understanding to peers, clearly and confidently orally and in writing, using high level skills and a range of media.
For appointment at Grade 8:
C9 Proven ability to develop and devise research programmes, techniques and methods, including research creativity and strong cross-discipline collaborative ability.
C10 Ability to contribute to broader leadership and management activities including demonstrable supervisory skills as appropriate.
C11 Appropriate academic professional and teaching qualification or teaching experience at Higher Education.
Essential E1 Sufficient depth of relevant research experience in the relevant disciplinary field.
E2 Experience of planning and progressing work activities within professional guidelines or organisational policy, applying initiative and independent judgement. E3 A track record of presentation and publication of research results in quality journals and/ or at conferences.
For appointment at Grade 8:
E4 An established national/international reputation and track record of presentation and publication of research results in quality journals and/ or at conferences.
E5 Experience of making a leading contribution in academic activities.
E6 Sufficient depth of relevant research experience normally including sufficient postdoctoral experience in the disciplinary field.
D1 Experience of supervision of students at honours or postgraduate level
Terms and Conditions
Salary will be Grade 7/8, £37,474 - £42,115 / £46,047 - £53,353 per annum.
This post is full time and fixed term for 3-years from start date.
As part of Team UofG you will be a member of a world changing, inclusive community, which values ambition, excellence, integrity and curiosity.
As a valued member of our team, you can expect:
1 A warm welcoming and engaging organisational culture, where your talents are developed and nurtured, and success is celebrated and shared.
2 An excellent employment package with generous terms and conditions including 41 days of leave for full time staff, pension - pensions handbook https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/payandpensions/pensions/, benefits and discount packages.
3 A flexible approach to working.
4 A commitment to support your health and wellbeing, including a free 6-month UofG Sport membership for all new staff joining the University https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/staff/healthwellbeing/.
We believe that we can only reach our full potential through the talents of all. Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our values. Applications are particularly welcome from across our communities and in particular people from the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) community, and other protected characteristics who are under-represented within the University. Read more on how the University promotes and embeds all aspects of equality and diversity within our community https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/.
We endorse the principles of Athena Swan https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/athenaswan/ and hold bronze, silver and gold awards across the University.
We are investing in our organisation, and we will invest in you too. Please visit our website https: // www. gla.ac.uk/explore/jobs/ for more information.
Vacancy Ref : 107228 Close Date : 08-Feb-2023 23:45