Open Positions 2
Time Span as soon as possible for 3 years
Application Deadline 15 Aug 2021
Type of Position
PhD - Individual Supervisor
Field of Research
Mathematics / Natural Sciences
Subjects Scientific Data Management
Description As the German National Library of Science and Technology our
future-oriented services ensure the infrastructural requirements for a high-
quality supply of information and literature for research in science and
industry. Our services as a university library secure the local supply for the
Leibniz University Hannover.
The Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) – Leibniz Information Centre for
Science and Technology – Program Area C, Research and Development, is looking
to employ two
Research Associates/PhD Candidates (m/f/d)
to work in diverse research projects of the Scientific Data Management Group
(Prof. (Univ. Simón Bolívar) Dr. Maria-Esther Vidal) at the earliest
The positions are initially limited to three years with envisioned extension.
The working time is 75 % of the regular weekly working time (part-time, 29.85
weekly hours). The remuneration is based on pay scale group 13 TV-L.
The positions are part of a research project called “A Framework for Knowledge
Graphs based on Semantic Integration, Representation, and Curation of
Scientific Data to enable Trustable and Interpretable Knowledge Exploration
and Discovery (TrustKG)” funded by the Leibniz Association.
Research projects around the world produce a tide of data every day. The
potential lies primarily in connecting the pieces of information and extends
far beyond the individual project results. TrustKG will develop computational
methods for transforming biomedical data into semantically rich and linked
knowledge graphs. These methods will enable interpretable large-scale data
integration to empower Artificial Intelligence with semantic descriptions and
transparency. The project will use these computational tools as building
blocks for supporting individual treatment approaches in lung and breast
cancer, and Covid-19 patients.
Possible PhD topics include (but are not limited to)
• Scientific Data Management - requires demonstrated, rigorous knowledge of
data management (relational databases, SQL, graph databases, XML, RDF) and
strong experience in techniques for knowledge graph creation.
• Knowledge representation, logic databases, and causality models.
• Natural Language Processing to transform textual material into knowledge
graphs, this requires solid knowledge and experience in techniques of entity
and relational recognition and for linking to existing knowledge graphs (e.g.
DBpedia and Wikidata).
• Semantic Data Integration - requires solid background in knowledge
extraction using natural language processing, as well as knowledge
representation, curation, and semantic mapping rules.
• Query Processing - requires demonstrated experience in formal database query
languages, foundations of query processing, and novel technologies for scaling
up to large databases.
• Research Data Containers - requires demonstrated, rigorous knowledge of data
management and virtualization techniques (Docker).
• Knowledge Graph Management - requires good background on formalisms for
knowledge representation in knowledge graphs and semantic data management
• Successfully completed university degree (Master or comparable) in a
relevant field of study like Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics or
• Interest in mastering and solving problems of scientific data management in
areas like biomedicine.
• Proficiency in spoken and written English. Proficiency in German is a plus.
• Excellent proficiency in Semantic Technologies, Databases, Knowledge Graphs,
Natural Language Processing, Data Analytics and/or Biomedicine.
• Excellent proficiency in modern programming languages and modern software
engineering methodologies, and managing servers. Proven team software
• Interest in mastering and applying computational formal models.
What we offer
In TIB's Research and Development Department, you have the opportunity to
further your scientific development in a dynamic and excellent research
environment. We provide a scientifically and intellectually inspiring
environment with an entrepreneurial mindset embedded in a leading technical
university and one of the largest technical information centres being part of
the Leibniz Association.
The research department at the TIB is relatively young and offers many
opportunities. It is our vision to rethink the representation and provision of
data and information and to organize them in an Open Research Knowledge Graph
(ORKG) in the future. There is a close cooperation with the L3S Research
Centre at Leibniz University Hannover, one of the world's leading research
institutes in the field of Web & Data Science, within the Leibniz Joint Lab
Data Science & Open Knowledge.
Last but not least, we attach great importance to an open and creative working
atmosphere in which it is fun to work.
Furthermore, we offer
• Financing for necessary equipment, conference and research visit travel
• The successful candidate will work in the context of a national, European or
international research and innovation project
• A portfolio of technology components to build on in the area of Life
Sciences, including SDM-RDF, FALCON, Medical Knowledge Graph, ORKG, TIB AV-
Portal, DBpedia.org and other
• A modern workplace in a central location of Hanover with a collegial,
attractive and versatile working environment
• Comprehensive and intensive training in an interesting, varied and future-
oriented field of activity with a focus on the common good
• Flexible working hours (flexitime) as well as offers for reconciling work
and family life such as mobile work and remote work options
• An employer with a wide range of internal and external further education and
training measures, workplace health promotion and a supplementary pension
scheme for the public sector (VBL)
• Discount for employees in the canteens of the Studentenwerk Hannover as well
as the possibility to use the various offers of the University Sports Hannover
• A job in the public service with a salary in pay scale group 13 TV-L (75%)
according to the provisions of the collective agreement for the public service
in Germany (TV-L), including a special annual payment
If you are interested, questions regarding the position can be addressed to
Prof. (Univ. Simón Bolívar) Dr. Maria-Esther Vidal, head of the Scientific
Data Management Group, by mail at Maria.Vidal@tib.eu.
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application. To submit your application,
please use our webpage: https: // tib.eu/bewerbungsformular-55-2021eng
Paper applications are also possible on an equal basis. In this case, please
send your complete application documents with the subject 55/2021 before
August 15, 2021 addressed to
Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB)
Herrn Daniel Eilers
Welfengarten 1 B
or alternatively as a single PDF document file to Bewerbung@tib.eu. For
applications in digital from, please send a PDF file with a maximum size of 10
Who we are
TIB, being part of the Leibniz Research Association, is with around 550
employees one of the largest technical information centres in Germany, having
three main functions:
1. Acting in the capacity of the Leibniz Information Centre for Science and
Technology, our forward-looking services secure the infrastructural
requirements for providing researchers in science and industry with high-
quality information and literature.
2. Carrying out cutting edge research to further expand TIB's role as a
German information centre for the digitisation of science and technology.
3. Offer library services for the Leibniz University Hannover.
TIB is an equal opportunity employer, providing ideal working conditions, and
continuously taking action to enable its employees to combine career interests
with family life.
Severely disabled candidates with comparable qualifications will be given
preferential treatment. We welcome applications from all nationalities.
Please note that your application documents will not be returned and
application and travel costs cannot be reimbursed.
Please indicate in the subject line of your application through which job
board you became aware of our offer.
For more information about the TIB, please visit: www. tib.eu/en/
Language of Dissertation
Letter of Motivation
More Information https: // tib.eu/stellenangebot-55-2021