Apply now Job no: 504204
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 012800 - NE MS Branch Exp Station
Location: Verona, MS
Position Open Date: May 9 2022
The research program at the Northeast MS Branch Experiment Station focuses on
developing sustainable/profitable management strategies for the Mississippi
agronomic crops industry. This Research Associate position will support
research at the station. The incumbent is expected to work closely with the
research team to satisfy the goals and expectations of funded projects. Areas
of emphasis are agronomy production (fertility, weed management, plant
physiology), soil health (cover crops, organic amendments), and variety
selection for production.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service
Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC,
these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the
The North Mississippi Research and Extension Center (NMREC) is one of four
Research and Extension Centers in the MSU System. The NMREC is located in
Verona, MS. Branch experiment stations included in the NMREC are the Northeast
Mississippi Branch Experiment Station (Verona, MS), Pontotoc Ridge-Flatwoods
Branch Experiment Station (Pontotoc, MS), Prairie Research Unit (Praire,
MS), and the North Mississippi Branch Experiment Station (Holly Springs,
Area of Specialization:
Anticipated Appointment Date:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Research and operational tasks related to row crop production are included in
the essential duties and responsibilities of this position. The following
examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties
assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of
specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position
if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Assists faculty, staff, and/or students with research and/or projects.
2. Maintains accurate and timely records related to farm and research
3. Plans, coordinates, and conducts scientific research requiring judgment in
the independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaptation and
modification of standard scientific techniques.
4. Applies an analytical approach to the solution of a wide variety of
problems, or applies specialized techniques or ingenuity in selecting and
evaluating approaches to unforeseen or novel problems.
5. Demonstrates and applies thorough understanding of scientific methods,
research protocols, assessment instruments, and data interpretation.
6. Designs, performs, and/or oversees experiments and data collection to
ensure data integrity, quality control, and protocol compliance.
7. Collects, analyzes, and interprets data; prepares statistical and
narrative reports and/or graphs, as appropriate to the specific position;
prepares manuscripts for peer-reviewed publication; presents research results
to scientific conferences and other groups.
8. Independently performs most research assignments with instructions as to
the general results expected; receives guidance on unusual or complex
9. Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies;
promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental
10. Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant state-of-the-art
technology, equipment, and/or systems.
11. Summarizes and presents research results at producer/grower field days
and scientific meetings.
12. May lead, guide, and train staff/student employees, interns, and/or
volunteers performing related work; may participate in the recruitment of
volunteers, as appropriate to the area of operation.
13. Operates farm equipment.
14. Assists with land preparation, planting, cultivating, crop protection,
fertilizing, harvesting and transportation of row crops.
15. Manages and maintains property inventory reporting.
16. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
The candidate must have a Bachelor's degree in plant sciences or closely
related field. Also, the qualified individual must have excellent written and
verbal communication skills to interact effectively with faculty, staff,
growers, industry representatives, and the general public. Ability to work
collaboratively within a team and independently is essential.
Rank and salary will be commensurate with the education and/or experience of
Master of Science in plant sciences or related field. A valid Class A
Commercial Driver's License or willingness and ability to obtain this license
Additional Desirable Qualifications
1. Field and laboratory work experience beyond the minimum required.
2. Must have a valid driver's license.
3. Previous experience operating farm equipment.
4. Desire to seek further educational degrees closely related to the scope of
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of scientific approach and methodologies.
2. Ability to develop and follow research methodology and protocol.
3. Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
4. Knowledge of current technological developments/trends in area of
5. Knowledge of scientific research principles, practices, and protocols.
6. Ability to design, organize, and coordinate scientific research projects.
7. Knowledge and field/laboratory skills to work in sustainable agricultural
8. Computer skills for data analysis (MS Excel, SAS) are also expected.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks,
which require following basic safety precautions.
2. Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
3. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required
of objects up to 50 pounds.
4. Will operate and work in close proximity with heavy farm equipment.
5. Contact with herbicides and pesticides is frequent.
6. Work is normally performed in an agricultural field, equipment shop, and
Received: Supervision from a designated faculty member.
Given: Provide oversight to student workers and intermittent employees
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: https:// explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Must complete online application; submit a cover letter, resume, three
professional references, and a current unofficial transcript. An official copy
of transcripts will be required if selected for an interview. Social security
numbers should be redacted prior to submission.
May 23, 2022.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity,
sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic
information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any
other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and
applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share
our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in
our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability
and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position
with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human
Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of
Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon
request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and
readers are available to assist the visually impaired.
Advertised: May 09 2022 Central Daylight Time