Research Associate I or II
Apply now Job no: 503418
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 191000 - Geosystems Research Institute
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date: Nov 22 2021
The Geosystems Research Institute (GRI) at Mississippi State University
seeks a highly motivated and self-driven research associate who is experienced
and highly capable in operating uncrewed (water) surface vehicles and is
experienced in biological remote sensing, data collection, and processing.
Plans, executes, facilitates, and promotes advanced scientific research
projects. Incorporates innovation and develops advances in research concepts,
methodologies, and approaches as needed. Designs develop and tests new
equipment, instruments, reagents, and/or experimental protocols for research
(including hardware, software, statistical methods, etc.). Collaborates with
other researchers as appropriate. Participates in the preparation and writing
of grant/contract applications and reports and may serve as (co) author of
scientific research manuscripts. May supervise other research staff. May
present work at meetings and provide peer review of grant applications and
Rank and salary based on experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Operate uncrewed (water) surface vehicles (USVs) in support of various
• Assist with USV and uncrewed aerial system (UAS) data collection and
• Process data from any of a multitude of sensors that measure such things as
conductivity, salinity, dissolved oxygen (DO), temperature, chlorophyll,
organic material (CDOM), carbon dioxide, turbidity, soil moisture, visible
light, near infrared
signal, plant height, etc. using sensors like thermometers, radiometers,
• Document project results in reports
• Support composition of conference and journal manuscripts
• Presentation of project results to peers, program managers, and the public
• Other duties as assigned
• BS in Engineering Technology or a closely related field
• Experience operating autonomous (water) surface vehicles for scientific
• Demonstrated ability in developing manuscripts and presentations using
(MSWord and PowerPoint)
Grade and salary will be commensurate with individual's background, education
Beginning with a bachelor's degree:
A professional employee with a bachelor's degree in Engineering Technology or
closely related field can begin work at the Research/Extension Associate I
level. To begin at the Research/Extension Associate II level, one must have a
bachelor's degree in the required discipline and a minimum of three years
relevant experience and the equivalent of a master's degree.
Beginning with a master's degree:
A professional employee with a master's degree in Engineering Technology or
closely related field and one year of relevant experience and demonstrated
competence can begin work at the Research/Extension Associate II level.
• MS in Engineering Technology or a closely related field
• Experience operating autonomous aerial systems for scientific data
• FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Certification
• Knowledge, skills, and abilities in Computer Aided Design (to design
• Demonstrated proficiency in ArcGIS spatial analysis software
• Knowledge of agricultural processes, agricultural practices, and/or natural
• Demonstrated ability to work in multidisciplinary teams
• Qualifications within levels (I or II) are on a case-by-case basis with
factors that include
work experience, past research funding, professional honors and awards,
discoveries, management experience, professional accomplishments, and
ability in leadership.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: https:// explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your
transcript(s). Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts
should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Condition of Employment:
As required by Executive Order 14042, If selected, you will be required to be
fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of
vaccination before beginning employment with the University.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity,
sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic
information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any
other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and
applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share
our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in
our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability
and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position
with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human
Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of
Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or email@example.com. Upon
request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and
readers are available to assist the visually impaired.
Advertised: Nov 22 2021 Central Standard Time