Posting Number 00458
Title Research Assistant
Position Number PS05132
The Research Assistant will work under the supervision of the Division Chief,
Faculty, and Staff to provide technical assistance and support to conduct
cancer research. This position will provide support to Faculty and Staff to
prepare buffers and reagents as well as perform routine assays as needed. The
focus of the Division of Cancer Research and Training is on translational
cancer health disparities with a focus on Breast, Colon, and Prostate cancers.
• Assist in performing cell culture, growth/invasion, and MTT assays, DNA/RNA
extractions, IHC/IMF, PCR/western blots, and other molecular and biochemical
• Assist in preparation of buffers, reagents, MTT, western blot, PCR and other
molecular assay materials.
• Participates in performing inventory of supplies, and assists in
communications related to the study.
• Assists in the preparation of data, as well as perform basic record keeping
of protocols and results, and figure presentation.
• Assist the Faculty and Staff in mentoring student interns.
• Will receive training in basic cancer health disparities laboratory research
and have the opportunity to participate in seminars and lectures addressing
cancer health disparities.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Regionally accredited undergraduate degree (B.A., B.S.) required in
Biological Sciences or related field.
• Basic background in biochemistry and/or molecular biology.
• Prefer some experience in laboratory – cancer research is a plus.
• Ability to perform basic cell culture; growth, invasion, and MTT assays;
IHC/IMF; PCR/Western, and other basic molecular and biochemical assays as
• Ability to prepare buffers and reagents as requested according to protocols.
• Ability to follow protocols to perform experiments.
• Willingness to learn new molecular/biochemical procedures.
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office and use of PubMed.
• Experienced in Biological Sciences or related field.
• Some experience in experimental cancer research is a plus.
• Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
The ideal candidate has an interest in cancer health disparities.
Category Full Time
Number of Vacancies 2
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Fair Chance Statement
Open Date 01/24/2020
Open Until Filled (overrides close date if active) Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
The employment status of this position is classified as “Conditional”.
Conditional employment means that the job exists contingent upon funding
limitations of restricted funds or, the duration of a specific program,
project, grant or contract. Please note that if the University does not
receive a renewal of this funding or a reduction of funds occurs, your final
date of employment will coincide with the non-renewal/reduction date. The
duration of this position is from your start date through August 2020.
Posting Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
Do you have a regionally accredited bachelor's degree and/or equivalent of combine education and experience in the related field?
How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
Public Job Posting
Internal Job Posting
Do you have experience working in a laboratory and background in biochemistry and molecular biology? Please explain.
(Open Ended Question)
Are you familiar with MTT assays, DNA/RNA extractions, IHC/IMF, PCR/western blots and other molecular and biochimical procedures?
Are you PC or Mac proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)?
(Open Ended Question)
Cover Letter/Letter of Application