I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University Elliott School of International Affairs (ESIA) is one of the world's leading schools of international affairs and one of the largest schools of international affairs in the United States. Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., its mission is to educate the next generation of international leaders, conduct research that advances understanding of important global issues, and engage the policy community in the United States and around the world.
The George Washington University's culture reflects its shared values, including respect and diversity. The Elliott School recognizes that diversity and social mobility are among our country's greatest assets in engaging the rest of the world; we are deeply committed as a school to fostering an inclusive community. To this end, we encourage candidates from diverse identities, backgrounds, and experiences. To learn more about the Elliott School's commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, visit elliott.gwu.edu/diversity-and-inclusion.
In support of the ESIA mission and values, we seek an outstanding individual to be the Program Associate of International Science and Technology Policy. The Elliott School's International Science and Technology Policy (IISTP) department comprises innovative programs and institutes:
● Institute for International Science and Technology Policy ( IISTP)
● Space Policy Institute ( SPI)
● International Science and Technology Policy ( ISTP) graduate program.
Reporting to the IISTP Director, the Program Associate will serve as a primary point of contact, will answer questions from faculty, staff, students, and visiting scholars, and will provide operational support for the programs and institutes' administration. Operational support could include planning events, tracking spending and processing payments, pre- and post- award sponsored projects' administration, enrollment guidance, managing web/social media presence and some marketing efforts, drafting program materials, preparing and analyzing reports, and similar duties. May be asked to make recommendations to policy and procedure. May be tasked with outreach to other GW offices or external stakeholders.
● Budget support: monitor and process program/institute/and faculty expenses and assist the Director with some budget analyses and provide support during budget development cycles.
● Event operations: plan and execute public and private events for the ISTP graduate program, IISTP, and SPI. ● Program administration: schedule ISTP graduate courses, review student study plans, hire and mentor student workers, and advise current and prospective graduate students. ● Grant management: collaborate with faculty to write grant proposals, support faculty with grant budgets, hire personnel for grant projects, and execute grant reporting.
● Writing/communications: maintain and update program/institute websites, monitor program/institute emails, manage social media accounts, and write institute and program reports.
● Visiting scholar program administration: recruit, onboard, and support IISTP and SPI visiting scholars. Coordinate as needed with the university international services office.
Perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position. This is a hybrid position with some days remote and some days in-person
Join our community! Benefits of GW
The GW benefits programs are designed to care for you by providing a variety of options that offer security and support for you to thrive at various life and career stages. Benefits include:
● Medical, dental, and vision plans, FSA and HSA
● Retirement programs
● Tuition remission for employees and dependents
● Tuition exchange program for dependents
● Generous paid leave includes a full week of paid leave for winter holidays
Benefits eligibility may vary based on job classification. To learn more to go https: // hr.gwu.edu/benefits
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
● Experience with event management
● Experience with Excel and budget preparation
● Experience with website maintenance (particularly WordPress) is a plus
● Interest in international affairs
Typical Hiring Range $50,005.36 - $68,716.00 How is pay for new employees determined at GW?
II. JOB DETAILSCampus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C.
College/School/Department: Elliott School of International Affairs (ESIA) Family Academic Affairs Sub-Family Program Administration Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full time -> FTE 1.00 Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:30AM to 5:30PM Will this job require the employee to work on site? Yes Employee Onsite Status Hybrid Telework: Yes Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa status
Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S012434 Job Open Date: 08/18/2023 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until:
Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
(Open Ended Question)