Professor of Language and Social Interaction (1.0 FTE) (221662)
Are you passionate about processes of human communication? Are you fascinated
by how we use language to negotiate relationships, acts and events in daily
life and in professional situations? Are you willing to join our academic
community in Groningen, lead our research group on Language and Social
Interaction and contribute to the development of our programme in
Communication and Information Studies? Then you might be our next Full
Professor of Language and Social Interaction.
Who are we looking for?
● You are an internationally recognized expert in Communication and
Information Studies, in particular in Language and Social Interaction
● You have an excellent research track record, as evidenced by an outstanding
publication record and successful grant applications
● You are interested in, and preferably have experience in, both qualitative
and quantitative research methods
● You are open or already contributing to interdisciplinary research
● You have an inspiring view on teaching, including curriculum development
● You have extensive experience with teaching and administrative tasks
● You are willing to fulfil administrative roles at cluster or faculty level
● You have excellent leadership qualities and you are able to create and
strengthen collaborations within the Faculty, the University of Groningen and
other institutions (in the medical or educational fields) and within the
broader research field and society
● You have a strong societal network and you are successful in transmitting
your research and teaching to societal partners and a general audience
● You have gained the University Teaching Qualification or are prepared to do
so within one year
● You are fluent in English (C2 level of the CEFR) and Dutch, or are willing
to learn Dutch within two years (to at least C1 level of the CEFR – for
reading and listening).
Where will you be working?
The University of Groningen and the Faculty of Arts recently formulated a new
strategic plan for the coming 5 years, with a focus on research and societal
impact and the further development of innovative education (active and
blended learning). We focus on the development of interdisciplinary research
and teaching in the fields of Healthy Aging and Public Health, Energy
Transition and Climate Adaption, Digital Innovation and Artificial
Intelligence, and Governance and Sustainable Processes for a Sustainable
Society. Please follow this link if you would like to read more about these
plans (UG Strategic Plan https:// www. rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-
strategy/strategic-plan and Arts Strategic
https:// www. rug.nl/let/onze-faculteit/actueel/nieuwsberichten-2021/the-board-
Contact Thealies Oosterman (t.e.oosterman rug.nl) or hr-letteren rug.nl for
a copy of the profile report.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch
Universities (CAO NU):
• an appointment at the level of Full Professor with a salary, depending on
qualifications and work experience, from € 5,843 gross per month up to a
maximum of € 8,508 (salary scale H2) gross per month for a full-time
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
• an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance.
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the
University of Groningen, please check: https: // www. rug.nl/about-us/work-with-
The appointment will ideally start as soon as possible, but at the latest 1
You can submit your application until 6 January 11:59pm / before 7 January
2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on
"Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
Please fill in the form and upload 4 PDF files:
1. a letter of motivation and qualifications for the position
2. a Curriculum Vitae with a list of five self-selected best papers or
publications, a complete list of publications and names and contact details of
at least three referees
3. a brief description of your academic interests and plans; a statement
about teaching goals and experience (maximum two pages in total)
4. an appropriate and characteristic sample of your writing
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into
The selection interviews will take place over January and March 2022.
A trial lecture and a research presentation are part of the standard
procedure. A leadership assessment may be part of the procedure.
We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives, and
we consider diversity and gender balance to be very important. Our selection
procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment Code (NVP), https:// nvp-
plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and the European Commission's European Code of
Conduct for recruitment of researchers,
https: // euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
Prof. Anthonya Visser, Dean of the Faculty of Arts, anthonya.visser rug.nl
Ms T. Oosterman, + 31 50 3635834, t.e.oosterman rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.