Professor of Arctic and Antarctic Studies (1.0 FTE) (222027)
Are you passionate about the functioning of Arctic and Antarctic ecosystems?
Are you fascinated by how climate change affects long-term human-environmental
relationships in these regions? Are you willing to join our academic community
in Groningen, to lead the Arctic Centre, our research group and contribute to
the development of new generations of polar researchers and teachers? Then you
might be our next Full Professor of Arctic and Antarctic Studies.
Who are we looking for?
● You are an internationally recognized expert in the interdisciplinary field
of Arctic and Antarctic Studies, in particular in archaeology, anthropology,
history or biology
● You have an excellent research track record, as evidenced by an outstanding
publication record, successful grant applications, and PhD supervision
● You are interested in, and preferably have experience in, both qualitative
and quantitative research methods
● You are open or already contributing to interdisciplinary research
● You have an inspiring view on teaching, including curriculum development and
● You have extensive experience with teaching and administrative tasks
● You are willing to fulfil administrative roles at cluster or faculty level
● You have excellent leadership qualities and you are able to create and
strengthen collaborations within the Faculty, the University of Groningen and
other institutions, such as the Netherlands Arctic Station on Spitsbergen, and
within the broader research field and society
● You have a strong societal network and you are successful in transmitting
your research and teaching to societal partners and a general audience
● You have gained the University Teaching Qualification or are prepared to do
so within a year
● You are fluent in English (C1 level of the CEFR) and willing to learn
Dutch, (to at least C1 level of the CEFR – for reading and listening).
Where will you be working?
The University of Groningen and the Faculty of Arts recently formulated a new
strategic plan for the coming 5 years, with a focus on research and societal
impact and the further development of innovative education (active and
blended learning). We focus on the development of interdisciplinary research
and teaching in the fields of Healthy Aging and Public Health, Energy
Transition and Climate Adaption, Digital Innovation and Artificial
Intelligence, and Governance and Sustainable Processes for a Sustainable
Society. Please follow this link (https: // www. rug.nl/about-ug/policy-and-
strategy/strategic-plan/) if you would like to read more about these plans.
Please contact Thealies Oosterman, email address: t.e.oosterman rug.nl or hr-
letteren rug.nl for a copy of the profile report.
Conditions of employment
In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities, we
an appointment at the level of Full Professor with a gross monthly salary,
depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 5,864 up to a
maximum of € 8,539 (salary scale H2) for a full-time position
in addition to this income, 8% holiday allowance and a year-end bonus of
8.3% of your annual salary.
For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the
University of Groningen, please check: https: // www. rug.nl/about-us/work-with-
The appointment will ideally start as soon as possible, but at the latest 1
Please fill in the form and upload 4 PDF files:
1. A letter of motivation and qualifications for the position
2. A Curriculum Vitae with a list of five self-selected best papers or
publications, a complete list of publications and names and contact details of
at least three referees
3. A brief description of your academic interests and plans; a statement
about teaching goals and experience (maximum two pages in total)
4. An appropriate and characteristic sample of your writing.
You may apply for this position until 24 February 11:59 pm / before 25
February 2022 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on
‘Apply' below on the advertisement on the University website).
Only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be taken into
A trial lecture and a research presentation are part of the standard
procedure. A leadership assessment may be part of the procedure.
We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives, and
we consider diversity and gender balance to be very important. Our selection
procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment Code (NVP), https:// nvp-
plaza.nl/download/?id=7714 and the European Commission's European Code of
Conduct for recruitment of researchers,
https: // euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
Prof. Anthonya Visser, Dean of the Faculty of Arts, anthonya.visser rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.