→ Apply before 28/01/2022 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels Time)
→ Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
→ Departments: DI05 -Pathobiology, Pharmacology and Zoological Medicine & DI07
- Veterinary and Biosciences
→ Occupancy rate: 50% (for 22 months) or 100% (for 11 months)
→ Number of positions: 1
→ Type of employment: contract of definite duration
→ Term of assignment: 22 months (50%) or 11 months (100%)
→ Wage scale: salary scale PD1 to PD4
→ Required diploma: PhD
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is a world of its own. Employing more than 8,000 people, it
is actively involved in education and research, management and administration,
as well as technical and social service provision on a daily basis. It is one
of the largest, most exciting employers in the area and offers great career
opportunities. With its 11 faculties and more than 80 departments offering
state-of-the-art study programmes grounded in research in a wide range of
academic fields, Ghent University is a logical choice for its staff and
The poultry industry wants to keep on growing, while at the same time keeping
an eye on animal welfare and adhering to a changing regulation. This will
require a further automatization of the welfare and behavior assessment of
poultry while offering opportunities to steer behavior in real-time. To enable
this, the IMEC.ICON Welfare Improving monitoring Solutions for cHickens
(WISH) project plans to design innovative sensor technology and flock
based analysis methods. This should lead to a new gold standard in poultry
The need for automated assessment
Assessing the behavior and welfare of poultry still requires a high measure of
manual labor. This is not only costly and subjective, but also leads to late
intervention and incorrect data interpretation. In the WISH project, the
project partners will design a modular system-based toolbox of sensors and
interpretation possibilities. These can be geared towards laboratories or
industrial poultry farms.
A toolbox of innovative sensing and analysis
For laboratories, the WISH researchers foresee a high-end, full spectrum of
functionalities. These will help clinical research organizations, feed
additives labs, and developers of veterinary drug and welfare-improving
systems. For commercial farms, customized combinations of the toolbox modules
will be developed.
The WISH toolbox will be based on novel sensor technologies and flock-based
analysis methods. These will be designed to continuously monitor chickens,
provide feedback, and allow dynamic behavior steering in real-time with led
light recipes and/or multifunctional platforms. All this to improve the
productivity of poultry farming and the welfare of the animals.
Within the WISH project you will coordinate the various studies on broiler
welfare and performance, and will supervise the 4 junior researchers listed
above (research positions 1 – 4). He/she will be the first contact person
for the junior researchers and will liaise with the principal investigators
and project coordinators.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- holds a thesis-based doctoral degree. Preferably a PhD in biological
science, including animal science, veterinary science, zoology, bio-
engineering or related disciplines
- has a strong interest in poultry health and welfare with a drive to learn
and adopt a variety of new techniques.
- has good IT (MS Word/MS Excel/Powerpoint/Outlook), numeracy and
- has (or are willing to obtain) a FELASA Category C certificate to work
with laboratory animals.
- has a European driving license (category B)
- is ambitious, practically skillful, able to work in a team setting, and has
strong analytical problem-solving skills (creative, critical, and open-
- has excellent oral and written communication skills, and is proficient in
- is driven to explore research questions independently and in depth
- has a strong publication record
- is good at motivating and supervising junior researchers
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
- We offer you a contract of definite duration for 22 months (half-time,
50%) or 11 months (full-time, 100%)
- Your contract will start on 01/03/2022 at the earliest.
- Your remuneration will be determined by salary scale PD1 to PD4 (if you
hold a PhD degree). Click here for more information about our salary scales.
- All Ghent University staff members enjoy a number of benefits, such as a
wide range of training and education opportunities, 36 days of holiday leave
(on an annual basis for a full-time job) supplemented by annual fixed bridge
days, bicycle allowance and eco vouchers. Click here for a complete overview
of all the staff benefits (in Dutch).
- Working in a pleasant environment with a young and dynamic team of Ghent
University in close collaboration with the Flanders Research Institute for
Agriculture, Fisheries and Food (ILVO)
- Working in close collaboration with industrial partners
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline
(see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not
submitted through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
- In the field ‘CV' : your CV and an overview of your study results
(merged into one pdf file)
- In the field ‘Cover letter' : your application letter in pdf format
- In the field ‘Diploma' : a transcript of the required degree (if
already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language
other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English,
please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- In the field “other documents” : two references or reference contacts,
an overview of your study results
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
As Ghent University maintains an equal opportunities and diversity policy,
everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Gunther
Antonissen (Gunther.Antonissen@UGent.be, +32(0)9/ 264 74 86). Important:
do NOT send your application by email, but apply online.