9 Nov 2023
Malopolska Centre of Biotechnology, Jagiellonian University
Małopolska Centre of Biotechnology
Recognised Researcher (R2)
11 Dec 2023 - 23:59 (Europe/Warsaw)
Type of Contract
Hours Per Week
Offer Starting Date
1 Feb 2024
Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
RECTOR of the Jagiellonian University announces a selection procedure for
the position of an ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
Group of employees
JU organisational unit (place of work performance)
Malopolska Centre of Biotechnology
Field of science
Structural Biology/Protein Engineering
Number of posts
Type of employment
Contract of employment
PhD or equivalent
The selection procedure is open for all individuals, who meet the requirements
set out in Articles 113 and 116.2.3) of the Act of 20 July 2018 – Law on
Higher Education and Science, and who meet the following eligibility criteria
according to § 165 of the Statute of the Jagiellonian University:
holding at least a doctoral degree;
having relevant scientific achievements;
taking an active part in scientific life.
An ideal candidate will:
be highly motivated and interested in developing next-generation nanomachine-based drug delivery systems,
have a strong scientific background in structural biology, and, if possible in cryo-EM in particular,
have at least 3 years' experience in wet laboratory work, preferably involving bionanoscience or structural biology; experience in Cryo-EM analysis of biological macromolecules would be a bonus but not obligatory,
have published at least one scientific article in a peer-reviewed journal as the first author (If you have a reason not to have a publication, e.g. long-term reviewing process, patent application, etc., please mention it in the application),
have a self-development attitude and desire to establish their scientific career in the bionanoscience/structural biology field,
demonstrate ability to be a leader while also working well within a team with common goals,
be able to teach experimental techniques and scientific methodology to the students,
be proficient in spoken and written English,
fulfil requirements stemming from Regulations on awarding funding for research tasks funded by the National Science Centre as regards research projects including:
obtained a doctoral degree in the year of employment in the project or in the period of 7 years before January 1, 2023. (This period may be extended by the time spent on long-term (over 90 days) documented sickness benefits or rehabilitation benefits due to incapacity for work. In addition, this period may be extended by the number of months of leave related to the care and upbringing of children granted on the terms set out in the Labour Law, and in the case of women - by 18 months for each child born or adopted, if this method of indicating breaks in the scientific career is more favourable.) ,
obtained a doctoral degree in an entity other than Jagiellonian University, or completed at least a 10-month, continuous and documented post-doctoral internship in an entity other than Jagiellonian University and in a country other than the country of obtaining the doctoral degree,
prof. Heddle is not a supervisor or assistant supervisor of the candidate's doctoral dissertation.
OPUS 22 LAP, “Effect of nanoscale, three-dimensional arrangement of proteins
on biological and Therapeutic activity (FIT)”
The successful candidate will work on an international, NCN-funded project to
design programmable protein nanoparticles able to interact with tissues and
viruses to achieve either virus capture or cell penetration. The candidate
will be in charge of a project probing the effect of the three-dimensional
arrangement of specific protein binders on a designed protein cage and
understanding its interaction with the target virus. They will carry out
and/or oversee relevant protein nanocage design and production, and attachment
of externally mounted proteins. They will carry out the biophysical
characterization of the resulting nanocages both before and after binding to
the target. The research will be carried out in the laboratory of
Bionanoscience and Biochemistry, located at the Małopolska Centre of
Biotechnology (www. heddlelab.org) in the beautiful city of Krakow, Poland
and will involve close interaction with colleagues in the UK and Slovenia.
Scope of duties
according to the Work Regulations of the Jagiellonian University Annex 1 to
the Work Regulations of the Jagiellonian University – Model scopes of
responsibilities and duties of academic teachers:
In silico protein modelling and design,
Protein production and purification,
Protein nanocage assembly (according to existing protocols),
Biophysical measurement of binding to target VLPs,
Cryo-EM (single particle and tomography) analysis of designed cages
alone and bound to target VLPs.
stable employment based on an employment contract at the renowned
cooperation with the interdisciplinary academic community represented by
scientific support as well as the possibility of qualifications
improvement and professional development,
access to research infrastructure,
benefits in the form of i.e. Multisport card, sports activities, medical
packages, group insurance,
additional social benefits.
Required application documents
personal questionnaire filled in by the candidate,
a copy of the doctoral diploma or a diploma confirming the candidate's habilitation degree, if applicable,
information on the candidate's scientific, teaching and organisational achievements,
declaration of the candidate, confirming that the Jagiellonian University will be their primary place of work, should they be selected in the selection procedure,
statement under Article 113 of the Law on Higher Education and Science,
statement on acknowledging and accepting the rules and regulations concerning intellectual property management and commercialization in force at the Jagiellonian University.
Declaration forms (no. 5-7) and personal questionnaire template (no. 2)
can be obtained at:
https: // cso.uj.edu.pl/enGB/konkursy, dokumkandyd - Centrum Spraw Osobowych -
Jagiellonian University (uj.edu.pl)
Additional application documents
list of publications (along with the respective publishing houses and the number of pages), if applicable;
doctoral dissertation or habilitation dissertation review, if applicable;
a letter outlining your interest in the research project and why you think you are a suitable candidate;
recommendation concerning the candidate's predisposition to research and teaching work, including the results of student surveys and evaluations, if the candidate was subject to such evaluation.
The course of the selection procedure
The first stage of the selection procedure is the formal assessment of the
submitted documents. Applications that meet all formal requirements are the
subject of substantive assessment, during which an interview with the
Candidate may be conducted (directly or via electronic communication
channels) upon settling the interview date with the Candidate. The Candidate
has the right to appeal against the negative assessment by the selection board
within 7 days from receiving the information about the results of the
The selection procedure is conducted in accordance with The Policy of Open,
Transparent and Merit-Based Recruitment Process at the Jagiellonian University
Form of submission
by e-mail to the address: [email protected], title: OPUS22LAP post-doc
323.2023 Name and Last Name
Deadline for submission of applications
Expected date of the selection procedure settlement
Method of communicating of the results of the selection procedure
For further information please contact by e-mail: [email protected]
In the selection procedure, the Jagiellonian University follows the principles
of the European Charter for Researchers and a Code of Conduct for the
Recruitment of Researchers.
Jagiellonian University does not provide housing.
On behalf of
the Rector of the Jagiellonian University
Head of Malopolska Centre of Biotechnology
Dr Danuta Earnshaw Mossakowska, prof. UJ
Personal data processing information for job applicants
According to Article 13 of the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European
Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural
persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free
movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data
Protection Regulation – hereinafter GDPR), the Jagiellonian University
The Administrator of your personal data is the Jagiellonian University with its registered office in Gołębia 24, 31-007 Kraków, represented by the Rector of UJ.
2. The Jagiellonian University appointed the Data Protection Officer www. iod.uj.edu.pl, Gołębia 24, 30-007 Kraków. The Officer can be contacted by email: [email protected] or at the telephone number 12 663 12 25.
3. Your personal data will be processed in order to:
1. conduct recruitment process for the position specified in the above advertisement from 27.03.2023 for the post of an ASSISTANT PROFESSOR in the research staff member group in the Malopolska Centre of Biotechnology – as part of the legal obligation of the Administrator pursuant to Art. 6 (1) lit c of the GDPR in connection with the Polish Labour Code;
2. conduct recruitment process for the position specified in the above advertisement from 27.03.2023 for the post of an ASSISTANT PROFESSOR in the research staff member group in the Malopolska Centre of Biotechnology based on your consent pursuant to Art. 6 (1) lit a of the GDPR – your consent is granted by the clear action of submitting your CV with the Administrator. The consent to the processing of personal data concerns data that you voluntarily provide as part of your CV, which do not result from Polish Labour Code.
4. The obligation to provide your personal data results from the law (it applies to personal data processed under Article 6 (1) lit c of the GDPR). Failure to provide you personal data will result in your inability to take part in the recruitment process. Submission of personal data processed on the basis of consent (Article 6 (1) lit a of the GDPR) is voluntary.
5. Your data will be processed during the recruitment period. In the event of not concluding the contract with you, your data will be deleted after the recruitment process.
6. You have the right of access to the content of your personal data, as well as the right to correct, delete, restrict processing, transfer, object to processing – on the terms and conditions set out in the GDPR.
7. If the processing is based on consent, you have the right to withdraw the consent at any time, which shall not affect the lawfulness of processing based on the consent given before the withdrawal. Withdrawal of consent to the processing of personal data can be sent by e-mail to: [email protected] or by post to the following address: Malopolska Centre of Biotechnology, Gronostajowa 7a, 30-387 Krakow , or you can withdraw your consent in person at Malopolska Centre of Biotechnology, Gronostajowa 7a room 3/12, 30-387 Kraków, Poland.
8. Your personal data will not be subject to automated decision making or profiling.
9. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the Inspector General for the Protection of Personal Data, if you feel that the processing of your personal data violates the GDPR regulations.
Website for additional job details
https:// www. mcb.uj.edu.pl
Number of offers available
Malopolska Centre of Biotechnology, Jagiellonian University
Where to apply
https:// www. mcb.uj.edu.pl/mpl