Posting Detail InformationWorking Position Title Plumber (1269)
Classification Title Plumber Position Number 00001269 Open Date 12/20/2022 Close Date 01/20/2023 Priority Review Date Business Unit Description Civil Service Full-Time/Part Time Full-Time FTE 1.00 Position Status Regular FLSA Non-Exempt Job code 3060 Union Representation Non-Union Union Code N/A Unit/Department Physical Plant College/Unit Facilities Management Division Administration & Finance Location PP 137 Link to Department Website or Custom Search Page www. niu.edu/physicalplantPosition Summary, Requirements, and Qualifications
Position Summary, Requirements, and Qualifications
The Physical Plant is a department under Facilities Management and Campus Services, a unit of the Division of Administration & Finance. The Physical Plant provides the services to the entire campus such as carpentry, painting, plumbing, and electrical services.
The Plumber interacts with other Physical Plant staff, Heating Plant staff, Grounds staff, Building Services staff, Residential Facilities, Support staff, outside contractors and vendors. This position represents the Physical Plant and NIU both on campus and in the external community.
Under general direction of Plumber Foreman or designee, the Plumber performs skilled work in the trade of a Plumber, included but not limited to the installation, maintenance and repair of water piping systems, steam piping systems, and plumbing fixtures in accordance with recognized procedures and techniques common to the trade of Pipefitter.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Minimum Required Qualifications (Civil Service)
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICAITONS: 1. High school diploma or equivalent. 2. Successful completion of a recognized plumber apprenticeship program or five (5) years (60 months) of full-time journey- level plumber experience. 3. Possession of current State of Illinois Plumber's License. 4. Valid/current driver's license as required by the State of Illinois for the type of motor vehicle(s) to be operated by the incumbent.
Dependent upon institutional need, incumbents may be required to obtain job- related certification or license, such as a valid Illinois Department of Public Health Lead Abatement Worker License. Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, accommodations may be afforded to applicants/employees.
KNOWLEDGE , SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSA'S):
• Knowledge of materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings, or other structures such as lift stations, laboratories, medical clinics, etc.
• Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, regulations and strategies to promote health and safety practices for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Knowledge of. design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
• Skill in time and resource management.
• Skill in personnel resources management through motivating, developing, and directing subordinates as they work, identifying the best skillsets for completion of the job.
• Skill in giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
• Skill in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
• Skill in determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and correctly.
• Ability to operate personal computer with a general understanding of application software, and an understanding of the Internet.
• Ability to communicate information and ideas verbally and in writing so others will understand.
• Ability to perform physical activities that require considerable use of one's arms and legs and moving one's whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, squatting, grabbing, carrying, pushing, pulling, bending, stretching, twisting, reaching and handling of materials in the course of completing work assignments.
• Ability to stand and perform work duties for an extended period of time in the process of completing projects and/or assignments.
• Ability to see objects at close range or at a distance, and the ability to adjust focus.
Specialty Factors (Civil Service) Preferred Qualifications (Civil Service)
Minimum Required Qualifications (SPS) Additional Requirements (SPS) Preferred Qualifications (SPS) Physical demands/requirements
Appointment and Compensation DetailsAnticipated Appointment Start Date 1/23/2023
Anticipated Appointment End Date Percent of Staff Year 1.00 Standard Hours Per Week 40.00 Salary $113,984/annual Hourly or Semi-monthly Pay Rate/Range $54.80/hour Earn Type HourlyApplication Procedure
Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position; however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience. Important: Please upload any unofficial transcript(s) and/or documentation that verifies any education, experience, and/or training you have received.
After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this position. If you meet the minimum required qualifications for this position, you will receive a score based on your education and experience, and your name will be placed on the active employment register.
Credentials Assessment Examination:
Resume, List of References, and Certifications/Licensure #1
Quick Link to Applicant https: // employment.niu.edu/postings/68385 Is Background Check Required? Yes EEO Statement Summary
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator Health Services 230 [email protected] 815-753-5560
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person's disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form. For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) at [email protected]
NIU provides annual reports on campus security and fire safety.
Read the Annual Safety and Security Report. Contact the Ethics and Compliance Office at 815-753-1649 for a hard copy.
Read the Fire Safety Report. Contact the Department of Environmental Health and Safety at 815-753-0404 for a hard copy.Applicant Documents
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
(Open Ended Question)
(Open Ended Question)
(Open Ended Question)
(Open Ended Question)