Open Positions 1
Time Span 01 Jan 2022 for 3 years
Application Deadline 01 Dec 2021
Type of Position
PhD - Individual Supervisor
Field of Research
Mathematics / Natural Sciences
Subjects chemistry, chemical engineering, crystallography, material
Description The Institute of Crystallography at RWTH Aachen University
is placed in the interdisciplinary field of chemistry, physics, geo- and
material sciences. Our research aims at a better understanding of the
structure and dynamics of nanoscale solid-liquid and solid-gas interfaces,
because of their importance in catalysts, energy materials, geosciences and
nanomaterials. To achieve these goals, we employ modern X-ray and neutron
scattering techniques, both in the laboratory and at large scale research
In the cluster of excellence “The Fuel Science Center”, the entire lifecycle
of renewable fuels is investigated: from the fuel generation by molecular
reaction processes, via model rectors and highly efficient propulsion systems
to the design of entire fuel process and value chains. Heterogeneous
catalysts, often nanoparticles on a support, are frequently employed for both
the synthesis and combustion of bio-hybrid fuels. During catalysis
morphological as well as atomic structural changes of the catalyst particles
occur. In order to follow the intricate structural details during catalyst
activation and cycling in real-time, we perform in-situ high energy X-ray
scattering experiments at synchrotron radiation facilities. Such experiments
will allow us to derive structure-activity correlations, for instance for
Nickel-based perovskite-derived catalysts in the catalytic conversion of CO2
in collaboration with the Palkovits group, or insight into perovskites in
exhaust gas treatment with the Simon group (both RWTH Aachen University).
Applications must be submitted as 1 PDF file electronically in German or
English and must include: letter motivating the application and background for
this position, CV, Diploma and transcripts of records (BSc and MSc),
possibly up to 2 contact information of references.
- Adaptation and extension of an existing flow cell setup for in-situ
experiments, e.g. for various gas feeds, water / organic vapor inlets
- Preparation of samples for beamtimes including physicochemical
characterization, e.g. TEM, MS
- X-ray diffraction experiments at laboratory diffractometers and synchrotron
radiation facilities (national and international)
- Analysis of XRD and PDF (pair distribution function) data for structure
refinement and modelling of hetero-geneous catalysts
- Publication of results in peer-reviewed scientific journals and
presentation at conferences.
- University degree (M.Sc. or equivalent) in chemistry, physics, materials
science, geoscience or related field.
- Experience in at least two of the following: heterogeneous catalysts, mass
spectrometry, X-ray scattering, data analysis / scientific programming
(Origin Pro, Igor Pro, Python).
- High motivation for further training, independent and goal-oriented way of
- Good communication skills in English and possibly German.
- You are also interested in further academic qualifications (doctorate).
Language of Dissertation
Letter of Motivation
More Information https: // www. ifk.rwth-