PhD Position Marketing
Last modification : Thursday, September 15, 2022
The Research Centre for Marketing, with campuses in Leuven, Antwerp and
Brussels, is a relatively young and ambitious group of scholars. We are
committed to excellence in research and teaching. We are a research-oriented
department that conducts high-quality and managerially relevant research. Our
research focuses on the three domains of marketing: marketing modeling,
marketing management & strategy and consumer behavior. Within these (e.g.,
the interface between marketing and finance); social media marketing (e.g.,
influencer marketing); retailing (e.g., online and multichannel shopping,
retail innovations, loyalty, retailer-manufacturer relationships); consumer
decision making (e.g., behavioral economics, consumer self-control);
socially responsible marketing (e.g., fundraising, sustainable consumption,
consumer ethics); service marketing (e.g., customer experience management,
complaint management, service innovation); and sport sponsoring. Our work has
been published in major international journals like Journal of Marketing,
Journal of Marketing Research, Marketing Science, Journal of Consumer
Research, Journal of Consumer Psychology, International Journal of Research in
Marketing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Journal of Retailing,
and Journal of Service Research. We have many productive partnerships with
- You follow the doctoral program at the Faculty of Economics and Business of
- You prepare a doctoral dissertation in the domain of quantitative marketing
strategy research under professional supervision. Your research projects are
likely related to the interface between marketing and finance, or to social
media and influencer marketing. However, we are also very open to research in
other exciting emerging areas. An idea about the types of projects you could
be involved in can be found on the personal website of your promoter Alexander
Edeling, https: // www. kuleuven.be/wieiswie/en/person/00144376.
- You get the opportunity to participate in national and international
projects, to follow seminars and to present the research at international
- You develop data science, communication, and project-management/self-
management skills, which will be highly valued in both academic and corporate
- You aim to publish the findings of your high-quality research projects in
international peer-reviewed scientific journals (in English), and also
actively look for other forms of science communication.
- You become an active member of a young and dynamic research group, with a
pleasant, flexible and fair “new work” environment for everyone who has an
interest in doing scientific research at an international level. The research
group is integrated into a broad international scientific network.
- You supervise students in the Bachelor- and Master programs of Humanities
and Social Science, including master theses and company projects.
- You have a (limited) contribution in the teaching portfolio of the
Research Centre for Marketing.
We are looking for a student who:
- obtained a Master degree in Business Administration, (Applied) Economics,
(Commercial) Engineering, or a related discipline (Information Systems,
Computer Science, Statistics, Psychology, or Sociology), or will have such a
degree at the start of the year 2022.
- obtained, on average, distinction during the studies and satisfies the
entrance requirements of the doctoral program
(https: // feb.kuleuven.be/research/PhD/businesseconomics/Business).
- has a strong interest in scientific work within quantitative marketing
strategy research, and has some experience with quantitative research and
statistical/econometric analyses (by assembling large data sets and
analyzing them with software such as SPSS, R, STATA, Python or SAS). Skills
in digital marketing, social media marketing, machine learning, textual
analysis, and/or financial econometrics are a useful additional qualification.
- has preferably gained practical experience in relevant fields (e.g., via
internships in B2C or B2B industries, consulting, the tech sector, financial
services, or as a student assistant at a university).
- has strong communication skills and likes to work in a team, but has the
ability and motivation to work independently as well.
- has the skills to analyze theoretical papers and empirical studies in a
- has excellent written and oral command of the English (scientific)
- is able to bring the PhD trajectory to a successful conclusion, with the
We offer a full-time, fixed-term employment for 2 years, renewable up to a
maximum of 4 years. It is intended that the research will result in a PhD
after 4 years.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Alexander Edeling, tel.: +32 16
32 48 01 / +49 162 2384372, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. dr.
Lien Lamey, tel.: +32 16 32 69 54, mail: email@example.com.
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish,
regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If
you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us