Casual Part Time (Less than 20 hours/week)
Description of Position
Ceramics Under the guidance and direction of the ceramics instructors, the lab assistant assists in supporting the educational purposes of the ceramic program. Keep the studio and kiln yard clean, safe and orderly for the instructors, students and other lab assistants.
- Assist in overseeing the condition of all equipment in the studio and kiln yard (kilns, wheels, clay mixer, pug mill, extruder, slab roller, etc.) - Oversee open lab times and assist students as appropriate to their current instruction
- Load kilns
- Fire electric kilns
- Mix glazes
- Re-mix clay
- Keep Inventory of clay, clay materials, and glaze materials
- Receive and distribute deliveries of various materials - Other related duties as assigned
This is a temporary part-time position working between 0-19 hours per week as scheduled.
Minimum Expectations & Requirements
Ceramics - Experience in the ceramic process (firing, forming, etc.) necessary. - Assist instructors in loading bisque and glaze kilns:
- Lift heavy weights of 50-100lbs alone or with assistance
- Work in a dusty environment and wear appropriate safety masks, glasses, etc.
- Read clay and glaze recipes
- Use a gram scale
- Fire electric kilns
- Use a variety of ceramic tools and equipment such as: clay mixer, pug mill,
electric and kick potter's wheels, slab roller, hydraulic clay extruder, hand clay extruder - Regular attendance as scheduled is an essential job function as it demonstrates dependability towards the performance of job duties
Preferred Skills & Abilities
- Work experience in a community college/higher education work environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements and competencies listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Yavapai College offers its employees a comprehensive benefit package:
1100 E. Sheldon Street
Prescott, Arizona, 86301
https:// www. yc.edu/hr