Position InformationJob Title Maintenance Technician
Position Class Type Regular Position Type Staff Other Position Information
About Kettering: Kettering University is a national leader in experiential STEM and business education, integrating an intense academic curriculum with applied professional experience. We inspire students to realize their potential and advance their ideas by combining theory and practice better than any institution in the world. Kettering University is dedicated to achieving the extraordinary through technological innovation, leadership, and service, built on values that foster respect, integrity, creativity, collaboration, and excellence in growth, global leadership, community outreach, and an engaged community of stakeholders.
BENEFITS include health, dental and vision coverage; retirement benefits with up to a 9% Kettering matching contribution; life and accident insurance; tuition assistance and waiver programs; vacation and holiday pay; sick and disability pay; home purchase assistance program; recreation center membership; and many other benefits.
Flint Michigan: A storied past and an innovative approach to the future drives Flint forward. No other city of Flint's size can boast similar cultural and social resources; the Flint Institute of Art, Flint Symphony Orchestra, the Flint Institute of Music, the Sloan Museum, the Flint Farmers' Market, and several colleges and universities contribute to a rich social fabric. A vibrant array of dining, entertainment, and lodging options now enliven the walkable Flint city center. Kettering University is an important partner in the renaissance of Flint.
Our Mission and Vision: Kettering University prepares students for lives of extraordinary leadership and service by linking transformative experiential learning opportunities to rigorous academic programs in engineering, science, mathematics and business. Kettering University will be the first choice for students and all our partners seeking to make a better world through technological innovation, leadership and service.
Position Status Full-time If Part Time, hours per week
· Associate's degree or licensing as Journeyman in a skilled trade;
· 7 years maintenance experience in a commercial environment;
· 5 years knowledge of plant systems, including compressed air, electronic sensors, inventory control, preventative maintenance record keeping, and work order record keeping;
· 5 years use of diagnostic / testing equipment;
· Certification in aerial, scissor, and fork lift operation;
· OSHA 10-hour certification;
· Preference for experience in working for not-for-profit college or similar organization;
· Previous experience working in a fast-paced, high volume, deadline-oriented environment.
· Commercial kitchen equipment repair experience.
Job Specific Required Qualifications
· High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent; · 5 years or more of experience in a commercial environment in related work, as a General Maintenance Mechanic; · Must be able to provide on-site technical repair, troubleshooting, and preventative maintenance services; · Use tools, instruments, and equipment to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair the physical plant, including minor electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic systems; · Install and modify facilities equipment, using layouts, diagrams, schematics, standard operating procedures, etc.; · Perform preventative maintenance, service repair, and complete work orders as assigned; · Proactively identify sources of operating deficiencies and recommend process or equipment improvements; · Identify and request replacement parts and equipment; · Perform repair work using basic fabrication skills, including manual machine shop tools; · Ability to deal effectively with people, on a peer to peer level in a professional manner and perform other duties as assigned; · Must possess current valid unrestricted driver's license; · Intermediate to advanced level software skills using MS Word, Excel, work order system/programs and email applications; · Excellent interpersonal skills, professional demeanor and approachable; · Strong attention to detail to ensure quality standards; · Effective verbal, written and listening communication skills; · Strong organizational and planning skills; · Time management with the ability to multi task, work independently and work with a sense of urgency. · Willingness to work off shifts, holidays and overtime as necessary
· Physical Demands: a. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs; b. Work at heights up to 70 feet, in confined spaces and/or during inclement weather; c. Ability to perform manual labor, including bending, twisting, stooping and reaching as needed;
d. Ability to work outdoors and/or in unairconditioned buildings, at University events, as required; e. Perform work duties/responsibilities for extended periods of time even during inclement weather; f. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Must have the physical stamina to work long hours and/or more than 5 days per week. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
· Understanding and commitment to Kettering University Values: a. RESPECT: for teamwork, honesty, encouragement, diversity partnerships with students. b. INTEGRITY: including accountability, transparency and ethics. c. CREATIVITY: fostering flexibility and innovation. d. COLLABORATION: across disciplines and with all partners. e. EXCELLENCE: in all we do.
· Shift assignment of 1st or 2nd shift to be determined during the hiring process and could be subject to change with advanced notice as determined by the Manager.
Posting InformationPosting Number SP00344
Posting Date 01/12/2023 Closing Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to ApplicantsJob Duties
Job DutiesPercent of total time 100
· Perform general and specialized building maintenance in all the trades, such as electrical, plumbing, painting, carpentry, floor covering, HVAC- digital/pneumatic, hardware, tile work-floor/ceiling, sheet metal and other disciplines; · General and specialized repair and preventative maintenance of all building equipment; · Maintenance and repair of building equipment and kitchen equipment; · Provide quality customer service to faculty, staff, students and campus visitors; · Update physical and electronic files related to daily maintenance activities, parts inventory, and preventative maintenance assignments; · Maintain tools and equipment in optimum condition; · Support the physical plant ensuring equipment & life safety and demonstrate the ability to follow MIOSHA safety standards; · Commit to being assigned as an essential employee, meaning you may be required to work when others are excused · Attend to Maintenance Services related emergencies when necessary; · Perform all duties and responsibilities in keeping with True Kettering values of respect, integrity, creativity, collaboration, and excellence with a primary focus on enhancing the student experience; · Performs other duties as assigned or requested.Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
(Open Ended Question)Applicant Documents