Lecturer Science and Society (1.0 FTE) (222033)
The Lecturer will contribute to courses in the faculty's bachelor's programs
on Science, Ethical and Professional Aspects (SEPA). The courses are
interdisciplinary and most of them include projects that take place outside
academia. The specific courses are listed below, for more information on the
content, please consider the university's on-line course catalog:
• Biology & Society: Ethical and Professional Aspects
• Computing Science: Ethical and Professional Issues
• Physics, Astronomy & Society: Ethical & Professional Aspects
• Chemistry & Society: Ethical and Professional Aspects
• Green Chemistry: Technological, Societal and Ethical Aspects ( WBCE026-05)
• Mathematics & Society: Ethical and Professional Aspects
• LST and Society: Ethical and Professional Aspects
• Competences and Professionalization in Biology Chemistry & Society: Ethical
and Professional Aspects (SEPA, Chemistry)
• Physics, Astronomy & Society: Ethical & Professional Aspects (SEPA).
The Lecturer tasks could include:
• Give tutorials within the courses listed above
• Assess exams and assignments of the courses above
• Contribute to the education related to the track Science Business and Policy
• have the opportunity for further professionalization (approximately 10% of
What we expect of you:
• a master's degree in a science or engineering discipline (because of the
composition of the team there is a preference for a background in the field of
applied pharmacy/mathematics or physics)
• experience with various types of academic teaching and learning (lectures,
tutorials, group work, coaching, workshops)
• affiliation with innovation, economics, business and policy studies
• demonstrable broad interests in and knowledge of societal aspects of science
• experience outside of academia, such as in business, consultancy,
government, or non-governmental organizations is an asset
• excellent proficiency in English and command of Dutch
• cross-cultural sensitivity and strong communication skills
• to be flexible and creative
• ability to work in a team
• a University Teaching Qualification is a pre (Dutch: BKO).
The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook,
deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for
over four hundred years, and with success: the university is currently in the
top 100 of several influential ranking lists.
The Faculty of Science and Engineering (FSE) offers education and research
in a wide range of science disciplines, from traditional disciplines such as
physics and biology to interdisciplinary disciplines such as artificial
intelligence and industrial engineering and management. The School of Science
and Engineering of the faculty provides 14 bachelor degree programs and 27
master degree programs respectively to approximately 7.000 students. The
faculty's staff and students come from all over the world and nearly all its
degree programs are in English.
Within the Faculty, a group of lecturers is responsible for interdisciplinary
education on the crossroads of science and society. The group provides courses
on ethics, philosophy of science, policy and career orientation in most of the
faculty's degree programs, from mathematics to medical biology. The Faculty
has presently one temporary vacancy within this group.
Conditions of employment
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch
• a temporary (part time) position 0.8-1.0 fte March 1 – August 1
• a salary with a minimum of € 2,846 up to a maximum of € 4,490 gross per
month (salary scale 10)
• in addition to the salary: 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
• for this position the following UFO job profile applies: Teacher 4.
Curious about our further conditions of employment? You can click on this
link: https: // www. rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/conditions-
This position is opened up in the framework of the Projectenbank, one of the
projects of the Talent Travel Program. This means that all internal candidates
can apply after consulting with their supervisor. Candidates with a permanent
employment will be able to return to their current position.
You can apply for this position by sending the curriculum vitae and motivation
letter. You can submit your application until 27 January 11:59pm / before 28
January 2022 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click
on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The interviews are scheduled in week 5
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We
are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply.
Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code
(NVP), https: // www. nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European
Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers,
https: // euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
M. van Rijssel, +(31)503632212, m.van.rijssel rug.nl
Please do not use the e-mail address(es) above for applications.