Duke University and Duke University Health System require all students, faculty and staff to receive the COVID-19 and influenza vaccines. After you have officially accepted a position at Duke, you may request a religious or medical accommodation.Laboratory Support Supervisor - South Durham Lab - Weekdays, 7:00 a.m. -
Requisition Number: 235785
Regular or Temporary: Regular
Durham, NC, US, 27710
Personnel Area: DUHS CLINICAL LABS
Date: Aug 18, 2023
Laboratory Support Supervisor for the South Durham Lab in Durham. Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., with on-call hours from 5:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. On-call every 3rd weekend (Saturday, 6:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and Sunday, 6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.).
Supervise the work of subordinate personnel in performing routine blood drawing techniques from adult and pediatric patients for laboratory procedures used in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
Maintain staffing and coordinate activities in the phlebotomy, distribution, and processing areas of Offsite Labs. Duties also include administrative and technical responsibilities. Communicates with clinical personnel at all levels to ensure the best possible health care outcome.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Organizes work activities to ensure their proper completion in a timely manner.
• Is familiar with and follows all laboratory policies, procedures, and university work rules.
• Displays professional, pleasant, and cooperative behavior toward patients, visitors, hospital personnel, and fellow employees.
• Communicates information and posts all memos to include regularly scheduled meetings with supervised employees.
• Keep the manager apprised of problems and occurrences in the laboratory, including solutions.
• Responsible for performing all tasks of lower-level employees as needed to ensure the effective operation of the department.
• Maintains required certifications, safety training, etc. as required.
• Maintains passwords in all computer systems and reads Outlook emails every day.
• Serve as department representative to various committees (ex: CE, Work Culture, etc)
• Other duties as assigned by the manager.
• Ensures that employees follow procedures correctly.
• Ensures that all employees are assessed for work area competency in all sections.
• Ensures that age-specific competency is assessed.
• Provides coaching and feedback to employees.
• Provides training and retraining as needed.
• Ensures employee compliance with Basic Life Support, Safety Training.
• Assist employees in maintaining current status in Beaker Laboratory systems
• Maintains schedule for all employees to include work assignments, work locations, time off, continuing education, and training.
• Maintains daily attendance calendars.
• Research, resolve, and respond to problems.
• Performs phlebotomy as necessary to include problem patients.
• Assists with processing and distribution of specimens.
• Ensures that a safe environment exists for employees to work in and that employees use safe work practices.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Nearest Major Market: Durham Nearest Secondary Market: Raleigh