Apply now Job no: 502928
Position type: Intermittent Worker
Department: 013900 - Prairie Research Unit
Location: Monroe County
Categories: Intermittent Worker
Position Open Date: Jul 21 2021
This position provides support to the research program operations including
assisting in farm production operations and equipment and facilities
Employees hired into Intermittent positions are limited to working no more
than 720 hours per fiscal year.
Salary Grade: UC
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service
Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC,
these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the
The position is based in Prairie, MS at the Prairie Research Unit.
Area of Specialization:
Beef cattle and pasture field work
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types
of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence
of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the
position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the
1. Assists faculty and staff with demonstrations and/or projects.
2. Operates farm equipment.
3. Assists with cattle handling and care to include feeding and herd health
4. Assists with land preparation, planting, cultivating, fertilizing,
applying herbicide, and harvesting of crops to include hay and pastures.
5. Performs general maintenance and upgrades of facilities to include fences,
cattle handling facilities, and cattle water supply systems.
6. Assists with cleaning and servicing vehicles and equipment.
7. Assists with building cleaning, demonstration area upkeep, and facilities
8. Performs related duties as assigned.
1. Two years of post-secondary training in an agricultural-related field and
one year of field work experience including livestock and forage production
field work experience.
2. High school education or equivalent plus three years of livestock and
forage production field work experience.
3. Must have a valid Mississippi driver's license.
1. Educational attainment beyond the minimum required.
2. Farm-related work experience beyond the minimum required.
3. Previous experience with cattle handling and care.
5. Previous experience operating and maintaining farm equipment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
-Mechanical and technical skills related to essential duties and
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
2. Requires heavy physical work; heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required
of objects up to
3. Will operate and work in close proximity with heavy farm equipment.
4. Possible contact with herbicides and pesticides.
5. Must be willing to occasionally work assignments outside of normal
business hours to include weekend hours.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: https:// explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Applicants must apply online at www. msujobs.msstate.edu by completing the
Support Staff application and attaching a resume and cover letter. Please
include the complete contact information for at least three professional
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity,
sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic
information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any
other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and
applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share
our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in
our student population.
Advertised: Jul 21 2021 Central Daylight Time