Job Title Instructor, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM®) -
Teaching faculty at Guilford Technical Community College are responsible for
supporting student success by creating an optimum learning environment,
responding to student needs, managing effective instructional activities,
modeling employability skills, demonstrating professionalism, developing
cooperative work relationships with other faculty and staff, supporting
college administrative requirements, and maintaining competency in their
instructional field. He/she will be responsible for quality instruction and
for effective participation and interest in the total affairs of the college.
Under general supervision, this individual will prepare and teach the Society
of Human Resource Management (SHRM) courses designed for persons who work
in the human resource field. The faculty member must be able to instruct a
wide variety of topics within the curriculum and may be required to teach day,
evening and/or weekend hours.
Prepare & teach departmental courses to include:
• developing learner centered lesson plans
• employing teaching strategies & instructional materials for different
• incorporating, as pedagogically appropriate, current technology in
classroom, distance learning and laboratory environments
• creating and modeling a quality learning environment that supports a diverse
• preparing, distributing and utilizing instructional support materials,
including course syllabi, supplementary materials, instructional media and
other devices as appropriate
• conducting appropriate assessment of student learning outcomes in courses
and programs/general education as appropriate
Maintain a professional status that supports the instructional mission by:
• participating in professional development activities to maintain currency in
field; maintaining current credentials or licensures as required by program or
• participating in professional development opportunities to advance teaching
skills and strategies
Provide daily & ongoing oversight of facilities, equipment and student records
• maintaining classroom and laboratory spaces including upkeep of assigned
• providing for the security of facilities, equipment and instructional
materials and maintaining safe working conditions
• maintaining student records (e.g., grades and attendance) in accordance
with established deadlines using a variety of technology-based programs
(e.g., Colleague, WebAdvisor, Moodle)
• complying with all applicable college, state and federal rules and
Provide an environment conducive to student success to include:
• addressing student concerns in a timely manner
• promoting retention/persistence by assisting students to develop strategies
• referring students to campus and community resources when appropriate
• Demonstrate and model the College's employability skills: adaptability,
communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Master of Business Administration or MS degree from a regionally accredited
• Society of Human Resource Management – Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-
• SHRM-SCP earned by exam
• Seven years of experience in the field of human resource management
• Teaching and/or industry training experience in any of the following
formats: teaching courses, training sessions, conducting professional
development workshops, and/or other continuing education seminars.
• Greater than seven years of experience in the field of human resource
• Experience with assessment of student learning outcomes
• Experience with distance learning and/or alternate instructional delivery
The Instructor shall possess an understanding of and commitment to the nature
and role of the Community College, particularly its “open door” policy. He/she
shall have demonstrated personal and professional competence for the
responsibilities assigned. The Instructor must be able to:
2. Respect Diversity
3. Adapt to changing procedures, protocols or assignments.
4. Create and maintain a learner centered environment
5. Communicate effectively
6. Ability to effectively implement and apply technology solutions.
Department/Job Specific Requirements
Mandatory GTCC Trainings (upon initial hire) and annual updates as required;
other required trainings may be added as needed):
1. Reporting Requirements
2. Discrimination & Anti-Harassment (within 30 days of hire; annual
3. Shooter on Campus (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher thereafter)
4. Personal Information Protection (within 30 days of hire; annual refresher
5. Ethics and Social Responsibility (within 30 days of hire; annual
6. Linking Student Learning Outcomes (within 30 days of hire)
7. Moodle Certification (if teaching online or hybrid – within 30 days of
1. May include teaching day, evening and/or weekend hours.
2. May include traditional instructor-led, face-to-face instruction, and
distance education/online delivery.
3. Typical settings specific to discipline classroom or computer lab space.
4. May include teaching on the Greensboro, Jamestown, High Point or Cameron
Campus, as assigned.
5. Physical requirements
a. Stand for extended periods of time.
b. Lift at least 25 pounds.
1. Criminal history checks, with acceptable results, are required.
Posting Type Adjunct Faculty
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number 2018-085-TEMP-P
Open Date 03/11/2022
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
Documents Needed To Apply