Job Title Instructor, Practical Nursing
Posting Number 1583
Job Schedule Full Time
Job Shift Day, Evening
OCR Code / Classification 2 - Instructor - Faculty
Job Description Summary
The Instructor of Practical Nursing will conduct college courses by performing
the following duties:
Bachelor's degree or higher in nursing. Note: Degrees and hours must be from a
college accredited by a United States Department of Education accepted
accrediting agency such as SACSCOC.
Must hold a current, unrestricted license to practice as a registered nurse in
Two calendar years or the equivalent of full-time clinical experience as a
Prior to or within the first three years or employment, have preparation in
teaching and learning principles for adult education, including curriculum
development, implementation, and evaluation, appropriate to assignment.
(Note: Documentation criteria are per the North Carolina Board of Nursing).
Maintain competence in the areas of assigned responsibility.
Have current knowledge of nursing practice for the registered nurse and/or the
licensed practical nurse.
Understand and be committed to the unique nature and role of the college.
Master's degree in nursing education (will be required within 5 years of
Certification as Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) encouraged.
Teaching and Learning:
• Assume responsibility for teaching assignments as recommended by the
department chair and approved by the director and dean (Instruction may be on
Main Campus or Stokes Campus).
• Facilitate the learning process by designing and implementing instructional
activities that are appropriate and meaningful.
• Adhere to the departmental course guidelines and ensure that content covers
• Fulfill the duties of clinical and/or lab instructor in supervision of
students as applicable.
• Assume responsibility for maintaining all required college records including
attendance, grade reports, roll books, etc.
• Compile bibliographies of specialized materials for outside reading
assignments where applicable.
• Evaluate student performance using methods appropriate to the course.
• Meet with students regarding academic progress.
• Assist in the maintenance, review, and updating of course descriptions,
objectives, and outlines for courses of instruction and develop new courses of
study as necessary.
• Make recommendations to the lead instructor for selection of supplies,
equipment, equipment repairs, textbooks for courses of study, and the
scheduling of classroom and laboratory facilities.
• Participate in departmental activities relative to revising and updating the
program(s) in the area of expertise.
• Assist with the development of new programs in the area of expertise.
• Participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of the
• Participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of student
admission, progression, and graduation requirements of the nursing program.
• Provide assistance to advisees.
• Participate in department, division and college-wide advising activities.
• Learn and maintain proficiency with program requirements of assigned
• Use the computer and the college's student information system to assist
• Follow up on all assigned advisees.
• Attend training sessions relative to advising.
• Develop a professional development plan that is approved by the director and
dean, and participate in those activities that achieve approved professional
• Maintain current licensure, certification, or other professional credentials
required for position.
• Maintain membership and participation in professional organizations.
• Read professional literature.
• Keep abreast of current technology.
• Attend workshops, conferences, and professional meetings.
• Participate in on-campus professional development activities.
• Adhere to all institutional policies and procedures.
• Attend all required department, division, and college-wide meetings.
• Serve on committees as required.
• Participate in college-wide activities.
• Maintain contact with specialized vocations where applicable.
• Be alert to public relations opportunities and use these to promote the
college and the department.
• Assist in planning of advisory committee meetings.
• Read written communications and analyze and interpret both verbal and
• Respond coherently both verbally and in writing to students, co-workers, and
individuals having contact with the College.
• Respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory
agencies, or members of the business community.
• Present information effectively to top management, public groups, and/or
boards of directors.
• Define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
• Interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or
diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be
met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee will need to regularly operate and use computers, phones and
other electronic equipment
• The employee will need to be able hear audible equipment indicators and
verbal communications within the environment
• The employee may need to move around their office and/or campus to attend
meetings/ classes and to access files, machinery or other job-related tools
• The employee may need to lift and/or move equipment, tools, patients, or
paperwork up to 50 pounds
• The employee may need to position themselves by reaching, stooping, kneeling
or crouching in order to adjust or collect equipment and/or supplies
• Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision,
color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception and focus adjustment to
differentiate light/color intensity and evaluate perceivable changes in the
• Has moderate sense of smell to determine danger indicators such as smoke
Open Date 01/06/2022
Close Date 01/27/2022
Open Until Filled No
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
Do you hold a current, unrestricted license to practice as a registered nurse in North Carolina?
Do you have a Bachelor's Degree or higher in Nursing?
Do you have two calendar years or the equivalent of full-time clinical experience as a registered nurse?
Will you have prior to or within the first three years of employment, have preparation in teaching and learning principles for adult education, including curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation, appropriate to assignment? (Note: Documentation criteria are per the North Carolina Board of Nursing)
Do you have current knowledge of nursing practice for the registered nurse and/or the licensed practical nurse?
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
Official Transcripts 1
Official Transcripts 2
Official Transcripts 3
Official Transcripts 4