Under the supervision of the Dean of Libraries and Learning Resources, the Health Sciences Librarian coordinates library support for the College of Health Sciences and College of Osteopathic Medicine.
William Carey University encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and those with disabilities.
Duties and Responsibilities
This job description does not state or imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Duties and responsibilities listed are essential job functions and exclude functions which are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties.
· Serves as the primary liaison between the library and the Colleges of Health Sciences and Osteopathic Medicine, under the direct supervision of the Dean of Libraries and Learning Resources.
· Proactively builds cooperative relationships with health science faculty, staff, and students to (1) be familiar with the unique nature of operations within each health science degree program, (2) be a value-added contributor to each health science degree program, and (3) keep the Dean of Libraries abreast of strategic planning considerations necessary for maintaining optimal library resources and services supporting health sciences.
· Promotes, plans, and provides orientation sessions for course sections and cohorts on the efficient and effective use of the library's health science resources – this will include in-person classroom orientations, online synchronous orientations, and asynchronous e-learning tools.
· Consults with health science faculty and coordinates with the Dean of Libraries to manage collection development supporting the curriculum, pedagogy, and research needs of health science students and faculty – this will include monograph, journal, and database selections.
· Promotes, plans, and provides research assistance and consultations pertaining to evidence-based practice and systematic reviews.
· Provides basic impromptu reference assistance to health science students, both face-to-face and virtually.
· Serves as a library faculty member, participating in planning and evaluation of library services, and keeping informed about professional issues related to job responsibilities.
· Readily available to perform other general library duties and tasks as needed, within I.E. Rouse Library at the discretion of the Dean of Libraries and Learning Resources, to ensure normal day-to-day operation of the library.
· This employee is required to exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance.
· American Library Association accredited master's degree.
· Experience teaching others in the use of research databases and platforms.
· Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Ability to use common office productivity software, including Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Teams, and Outlook).
· Ability to learn WCU's accounting and student database software.
· Ability to respect and adhere to confidentiality requirements related to student and library records.
· Ability to make mathematical computations quickly and accurately.
· Previous experience working as a health science librarian.
· Previous experience working as a healthcare practitioner.
· Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP) credential (from the Medical Library Association).
· Systematic Review Services Specialization Level I Certificate (from the Medical Library Association).
· Experience performing literature searches in support of evidence-based medicine and systematic reviews.
· Experience in research environments focused on clinical science, basic science, and/or healthcare policy.
· Supervisory experience.
· Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting, and to use standard office equipment including a computer and 10-key calculator
· Must have vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone
· Must have the ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
· Must have strength and agility to move files, paper boxes, minor office equipment, and to shelve books
· Must have ability to lift and carry 25 pounds
Required Application Documents
Please upload the following documents with your application: