Position InformationTitle Hourly Transit Driver
Facilities Management is responsible for the operation and maintenance of all University buildings, grounds, vehicles, waste management, and central steam operations. The FM Staff are an integral part of our University Community. Our staff are dedicated to facilitating the requests of the entire campus while maintaining the University's high standards of excellence. Facilities Management is committed to maintaining the integrity of the University's assets while conserving its resources and energy in order to provide a safe and clean environment for the entire community.
A BSU Transit Hourly Bus Operator is responsible for operating buses in a safe and efficient manner. The operator is responsible for the safety and well‐ being of themself, their passengers, and all other people on the road. The primary goal of this position is to transport students to and from classes as well as other Bridgewater State University Campus locations. BSU Transit fixed route operations are conducted in the Town of Bridgewater, West Bridgewater, and Brockton.
Equipment: Operators will operate vans, cut‐away buses, Ford minibuses, low floor Gillig, two‐way radios, wheelchair lifts, MDT computers, and other equipment, as necessary. Fareboxes are not equipped and BSU Transit is free to the public. Operating equipment is subject to change as fleet updates and maintenance occurs.
Safety Standards & Practices: All operators will be required to read and understand safety standards and practices for operating BSU Transit vehicles and equipment involved in job tasks. Operators must continuously learn and follow all new procedures, regulations, and requirements with respect to safety within the organization.
Communication: All operators must have the ability to effectively use oral and written communication in performing duties and responsibilities.
Staff Associate, Transit Manager
Associate Director of Facilities Management
Multiple positions available.
Pre-scheduled shifts at start of each semester, per applicant availability. System Operating Hours between Mon – Fri 6:30AM – 12:30PM, during BSU Academic Year
Position Type Temporary Essential Duties
The following tasks are representative and not to be considered all inclusive:
· Provide safe and efficient transportation for the passengers of BSU Transit
An operator needs to have above average oral and written communication, customer service, and decision-making skills.
· Operation of ADA vehicle lifts on different vehicles as well as attachment of tie downs to mobility devices
· Operate the buses on scheduled/shift times
· Pick up passengers on dispatched requests for transportation, where necessary
· Operate the buses on scheduled activities (special shuttles or requests, around pre-scheduled times)
· Respond to medical emergencies and injuries to passengers in a manner consistent with BSU Transit and University policies and procedures
· Maintain buses and vans per policies, to include disinfection of driver area, sweeping out after shift, close all windows at the end of a shift, etc.
· Fuel buses as necessary
· Conduct a post‐trip inspection after each shift
· Check for vehicle damage
· Report all issues to appropriate personal
· All reports to supervisors must be detailed and thorough with complete explanations
· Report all damage accordingly with policies and procedures
· Regularly attend Safety Meetings/Required training
· Maintain a professional, well‐groomed appearance
· Wear closed toe shoes
· Maintain necessary operator records
1. Education: High School Diploma or G.E.D.
2. Individual must have a Class B CDL with airbrake and passenger endorsements. 3. 2 years previous commercial driving experience. On‐the‐job Training is required before operating a bus without supervision.
4. Individual must comply with BSU Transit rules and regulations regarding maintaining DOT medical certificates, maintaining CDL, pre-employment and random drug and alcohol screening/testing.
5. Individual must be safety conscience and attentive to surrounding environments including traffic, road conditions, and weather conditions.
6. Individual must have excellent driving skills and a reputable driving record.
7. Individual must be willing to attend all training and mandatory meetings required by the University/BSU Transit.
8. Willingness to assist all Fleet Services and Waste Management functions, including Recycling Services when necessary.
9. An operator must the ability to remain focused and calm in the event of mechanical issues, passenger behaviors, traffic, or dispatch requests resulting in delays and scheduling changes.
1. Individual must be currently CPR certified or capable of receiving certification.
2. Individual must be familiar with all policies, and routes/vehicles operated by the BSU Transit Service.
3. General knowledge of Bridgewater State University and surrounding areas is preferred.
Bridgewater State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employee with disabilities. To request a reasonable accommodation for the application process, please complete and submit this electronic form: https: // cm.maxient.com/reportingform.php?BridgewaterStateUniv &layoutid=18
Work is performed in the field, operating the bus, regardless of weather conditions. The operator is exposed to noise, fumes, and various road conditions. BSU Transit fully adheres to FTA Drug and Alcohol Testing Regulations and has a zero-tolerance policy for drugs and alcohol with additional restrictions on some over‐the‐counter medications.
The position requires lifting and guiding wheelchair passengers onto the wheelchair lift and properly securing the tie‐downs for wheelchairs. This work requires operators to bend, stoop, crouch, and a physical lifting requirement of 50 lbs with appropriate accommodation. Operators must be physically able to get down to the ground to look for damage to the underside of buses during pre‐ trip and post‐trip inspections.
Special Conditions for Eligibility
Please be aware that employment at Bridgewater State University is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
Bridgewater State University (BSU) is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer which actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people.
Hourly Rate (Non-Exempt) $16.00
Posting Detail InformationPosting Number T01832P
Open Date Application Review Start Date Close Date Open Until Filled No Special Instructions to Applicants
Please note the following information is required to complete your application for this position:
a minimum of one (1) employment history entry.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().Documents Needed To Apply