To provide efficient, forward thinking, and effective financial and resources administrative support across the Adam Smith Business School and the School of Education specifically
through the management of budgets and other resources.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. To undertake purchasing across the schools, raising purchase orders, managing a purchasing card, and ensuring that any expenditure is within agreed budget limits and is made in
accordance with the relevant University policies and procedures. Responsible for liaising with external suppliers concerning the purchase of goods and services for the schools. Arranging for New Suppliers (including Self- Employed contractors) to be added to the Agresso System.
2. To be first point of contact for all internal and external financial and operational enquiries, answering queries, escalating if required and providing advice to staff, students, casual staff, Visiting Speakers and External Examiners on systems and procedures, ensuring the highest standard of customer service is provided.
3. Assist with the administration of the Extended Workforce recruitment and manage the payment processes for the schools including arranging Casual Worker Registrations and
monthly payments using the HR/Payroll Core system and reporting tool. Records of agreed hours must be kept and reconciled to actual work carried out with any subsequent
necessary adjustments being made. Liaising as required with senior practitioners and other senior externals associates in relation to their payments and resolving any issues/problems
that may arise with their payments. Assist with the registration and payment processes for External Examiners.
4. Manage the School's IT Equipment purchasing process including advising staff on the current policy and approved suppliers/equipment and liaising the local IT support to ensure that the schools is appropriately equipped. Act as Asset Co-ordinator to ensure that the asset register is updated for all new equipment purchases, ensuring that all asset purchase orders and serial numbers of received assets are entered onto asset register.
5. Liaise with College HR Team regarding upcoming post funding end dates and raise Manager Requests for staff changes on CORE. Act as approver on CORE for MPA staff overtime claims – checking the data and adding in the correct cost coding. Manage the Schools Leaver's process making sure that leaving staff and line managers are reminded in advance of the school-Level and University procedures and in conjunction ensuring the return of any equipment listed on the asset register.
6. Assist with the recruitment process for extended workforce vacancies arising within the schools, providing advice on processes, completing paperwork and HR systems as required. Carry out RTW checks for new staff and External Examiners on behalf of the Schools of Social and Political sciences and Law adhering to the current HR guidelines and seek advice or escalate any issues/concerns to the relevant College HR Team.
7. Responsible for raising sales invoices for goods and services that the schools supply to external organisations/companies on the University Finance system (Agresso).
8. Manage appropriate expenses processes within the schools including the preparation of sundry payee claim forms (for non-employees) and foreign payment claims following the appropriate University policies and procedures. Advising staff on self-service expenses claims procedures. Liaising with the relevant person and department to resolve any issues/problems that may arise. Responsibility for registration and payment of expenses of visiting speakers/ Honorary/Affiliate research staff.
9. Assist in the financial management of research and general ledger projects including producing reports from university systems, investigating and correcting anomalies independently to ensure accurate budgetary information is available. Assist with budget forecasts. Responsible for processing journal entries to enable the transfer of income/expenditure for budgetary requirements using the Finance Agresso system. Provide general guidance to PIs on award management and deal with specific queries as they arise. Maintain records and reporting and ensure effective financial management of EU grants.
10. Manage Research Training Support and Conference Support grants for students, so that they are aware of what funding is available to them on a yearly basis and ensure that all funds available to students are fully tracked by developing and maintaining a database of expenditure incurred in relation to the students. Using this information to produce relevant reports as required.
11. Using MyCampus maintain and update the PGR Supervisor sub-projects to allow PGR income to be credited to the relevant location. Update and maintain course GL information.
12. Undertake any other reasonable duty as assigned by the Line Manager or Head of Professional Services.
Knowledge, Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
A1 Ability to demonstrate the competencies required to undertake the duties associated with this level of post having acquired the necessary knowledge and skills in a similar role. OR Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework level 7 (Advanced Higher, SVQ 3, HNC or equivalent), and experience of personal development in a similar role.
A2 Knowledge of current GDPR regulations.
B1 Knowledge of Agresso accounting system and Core HR system or equivalent'.
B2 Knowledge of the University structure, policies, practices, and procedures relating to financial and operational processes.
B3 Operational knowledge of other GU systems e.g., Bi-Query, MyCampus.
C1 Ability to prioritise workload and to work to deadlines.
C2 Excellent planning and organisational skills.
C3 Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to deal with research staff, and the wider academic community.
C4 Ability to analyse and resolve problems.
C5 Ability to work both independently using own initiative and as part of a team and be flexible according to the varying needs of the Schools.
C6 Up-to-date skills in Microsoft Office suite; in particular a demonstrable ability to create and manipulate spreadsheets.
C7 Financial skills sufficient to analyse financial data and transactions, monitor budgets and report financial detail
E1 Experience of working in a finance or operations team.
E2 Experience of working with financial information sufficient to analyse financial data and transactions, monitor budgets and report financial details.
E3 Experience of preparing monthly payroll data for processing by payroll department
E4 Experience of decision making, involving independent analysis and judgement.
E5 Experience of handling confidential Finance, Operations and HR related information.
Terms and Conditions
Salary will be Grade 5, £23,715 - £27,929 per annum.
This post is full time (35 hours per week), and open ended.
As part of Team UofG you will be a member of a world changing, inclusive community, which values ambition, excellence, integrity and curiosity.
As a valued member of our team, you can expect:
1 A warm welcoming and engaging organisational culture, where your talents are developed and nurtured, and success is celebrated and shared.
2 An excellent employment package with generous terms and conditions including 41 days of leave for full time staff, pension - pensions handbook https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/payandpensions/pensions/, benefits and discount packages.
3 A flexible approach to working.
4 A commitment to support your health and wellbeing https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/staff/healthwellbeing/.
We believe that we can only reach our full potential through the talents of all. Equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our values. Applications are particularly welcome from across our communities and in particular people from the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) community, and other protected characteristics who are under-represented within the University. Read more on how the University promotes and embeds all aspects of equality and diversity within our community https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/.
We endorse the principles of Athena Swan https: // www. gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/humanresources/equalitydiversity/athenaswan/ and hold bronze, silver and gold awards across the University.
We are investing in our organisation, and we will invest in you too. Please visit our website https: // www. gla.ac.uk/explore/jobs/ for more information.
Vacancy Ref : 101614 Close Date : 29-Nov-2022 23:45