Position InformationPosting Number PG190506CE
Position Number WT-00002111-0523 Position Type NC Cooperative Extension
Department InformationJob City & State Lenoir, NC
Department NC Cooperative Extension - Caldwell County
System InformationWorking Title Extension Agent, 4-H
Appointment 12 Month Recurring Job Type Full-Time - Permanent FTE 1Position Information
Essential Job Duties
Are you looking for a rewarding career that will let you give back to your community? NC State Extension extends research-based knowledge to all North Carolinians, helping them transform science into everyday solutions that improve their lives and grow our state. We are the model of excellence in non- formal, research-based education that advances agriculture, the environment, human health and well-being, youth and communities, while creating prosperity for all North Carolinians. Working for NC State Extension allows you to teach without being tied to a classroom and school bell.
While our employees are located in NC County offices, they reap the benefits of employment at NC State University. Some of our benefits include:
· Paid time off
· Paid tuition
· Health Insurance
· Flexible Scheduling
· Retirement Savings
· Supplemental Benefits Programs
The Extension Youth Development agent position is located in Caldwell County. This position will be responsible for managing Caldwell County Youth Development program. These programs will engage youth in positive life-skill development activities.
The Extension Youth Development agent will be:
1. Responsible for youth development in Caldwell that is offered through NC State Extension or NC Cooperative Extension. This includes following all University and County guidelines.
2. Responsible for evaluating the content and quality of programs offered through the Caldwell County Extension Center.
3. Responsible for reporting program impacts.
4. Expected to form relationships that lead to recruiting volunteer leaders. As well as provide training and management of volunteer leader so that they are a sustaining part of the program.
5. Work with County Extension Director when and fundraising.
6. Manage an effective advisory council to provide leadership for the program.
7. Responsible for the County Youth Program administration. This includes keeping accurate records, assuring program compliance with local, state and national regulations. Compliance includes NC State University Programming with Minors regulations, county club financial accounts, club charters, as well as USDA-NIFA and IRS compliance.
Primary Function of Organizational Unit NC Cooperative Extension is the educational outreach arm of the North Carolina State University College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, in collaboration with NC A&T State University.
The two Land-Grant institutions provide research-based information, programming and technical assistance to all North Carolina citizens, addressing a wide range of issues in four programmatic areas – Agriculture & Natural Resources; Family & Consumer Sciences; Community and Rural Development, and Youth Development. Together, with its partners: U.S. Department of Agriculture, state and county governments, Cooperative Extension is able to bring a wide variety of resources to all 100 North Carolina counties and the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians.
North Carolina Cooperative Extension engages in youth development through 4-H. This effort engages 250,000 youth annually. Youth Development through NC State Extension offers programming to youth 5 – 18 years of age. The roots of 4-H are in agriculture and experiential learning. In recent years the NC Youth Development program has broadened to directly include Civic Engagement, Public Speaking, and shooting sports.
Being a local partner in environmental experiments and project with faculty of the Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering at NC State University.
SupervisoryNumber of Permanent Employees this Position Supervises
Percent of Time Spent
Requirements and PreferencesIdentify if the Position is Mandatory / Essential / Key Not Applicable
Work Schedule 8:00 pm - 5:00 pm; night and weekend as required Minimum Experience/Education
One of the following educational requirements: – A Bachelor's degree with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 overall or a 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) in child or youth development or related field. The minimum GPA requirement will be waived for NCCE Program Associates with a Bachelor's degree. – A Bachelor's degree and the completion of at least one-half of coursework in a Master's degree curriculum with a cumulative grade point average 3.0 or higher with at least one of the degrees in child or youth development or related field, or – Completion of a Master's degree with at least one of the degrees in child or youth development or related field. Also required: a personal automobile; computer literacy; strong oral and written communication skills; the ability to plan, implement, market, and evaluate educational programs; willingness to work as a team member and support a total Extension program; and the ability to handle multiple demands and set priorities. Personal Attributes: Successful performance of the duties encompassed in the County Extension Agent's job requires that the individual possess habits of industry, a sense of responsibility, and a genuine appreciation for the worth of the individual. The employee must be adept in both oral and written communication. The County Extension Agent is eligible to become a member of the non-tenure track/special faculty at North Carolina State University. The County Extension Agent has primary responsibility for planning, executing, and evaluating that phase of county Extension programs within assigned areas of program responsibility. The County Extension Agent cooperates with colleagues in the North Carolina Cooperative Extension and county leaders in performing assigned responsibilities. The performance of assigned responsibilities is governed by the philosophy, objectives, policies, and procedures of the North Carolina Cooperative Extension.
Department Required Skills
Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in a field related to child or youth development or in a related field with work experience in Extension or working/teaching in diverse communities, with an understanding that a Master's degree will be pursued.
- Must be able to thrive in a team environment with the ability to help coworkers as well as ask for help when needed.
- Work without direct supervision.
- Ability to effectively interact with diverse populations.
- Ability to manage time, as well as program, financial, and human resources.
- Computer literacy (Google Apps, MacOS, as well as the ability to learn and adapt to new technology).
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle multiple demands and set priorities.
- Ability to travel and work after-hours and weekends as needed (may be seasonally extensive).
- Ability to network with community partners and agencies and maintain working relationships.
- Must be able to lift and carry training supplies, publications, and equipment needed for training and youth programs.
Preferred Years Experience, Skills, Training, Education
Master's degree from an accredited university in a field related to child and youth development, education or a combination of education and work that would prepare someone for this role.
- Experience planning programs and working in diverse communities.
- Experience working effectively as a team member.
- Experience and knowledge in mass media, marketing, and presentations.
- Skills in leadership, citizenship, budget management, and public relations.
- Ability to recruit, train, and supervise volunteer leaders so the youth program can be extended through their efforts.
- Ability to have fun while while working.
Required License or Certification
Valid NC Driver's License required? Yes Commercial Driver's License Required? No Physical Required? No List any other medical/drug tests requiredRecruitment
Recruitment DetailsAnticipated Hiring Range $40,000 - $45,000
Internal Transfer Only No
Recruitment DatesJob Open Date 05/08/2023
Applicant InformationQuick Link https: // jobs.ncsu.edu/postings/183305
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process are welcome to contact 919-515-3148 to speak with a representative at the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected].
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
(Open Ended Question)
(Open Ended Question)
(Open Ended Question)
(Open Ended Question)
(Open Ended Question)
(Open Ended Question)Application Materials Required