Experiential Learning Coordinator
The University of Southern Mississippi is currently accepting applications for the position of Experiential Learning Coordinator.Position Details
Location Gulf Park
730 East Beach Boulevard Long Beach, Mississippi, 39560 United States Division Division of Student Affairs Position Type Staff Employment Status Full Time Grant Funded No Salary Range 35,568.00 - 41,000.00 Pay Grade
Posting Close Date Open until filled
Job Summary Serve as the primary experiential learning and internship counselor/adviser for students on the Gulf Park campus. Identify experiential learning opportunities to be integrated with current programs of study with the goal of elevating the overall academic experience of students and preparing them for post-graduation success. Cultivate internal and external collaborations that advance experiential learning opportunities. This position works in collaboration with Student Affairs and Career Services and shall engage in best practices and continuous improvement for experiential learning.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities 1. Identify and develop experiential learning opportunities (e.g., internships, externships, on-campus employment, research funding, etc.) that connect academic programs to enhanced opportunities for student success in professional settings.
2. Liaise with educational and community partners. Develop relationships with new employers through outreach, networking, and other contacts. Encourage and increase employer involvement in professional development opportunities for students.
3. Promulgate the development of internship and other experiential learning opportunities sponsored by employers on the Gulf Coast in coordination with appropriate University stakeholders.
4. Counsel students on strategies to search and secure opportunities. Maintain and markets a list of current opportunities and regularly review experiential learning opportunities.
5. Promote increased student awareness and student participation in experiential learning experiences through marketing (print materials, website, social media, public relations announcements, etc.) and through presentations to current and prospective students, parent groups, and the university community.
6. Coordinate with internal and external partners, including K-12, community college technical programs, community agencies, workforce development partners, and business and industry liaisons to identify, build, and create key opportunities for collaboration.
7. Research and analyze labor market information to identify trends and provide recommendations for the identification and development of career pathways and experiential learning that will provide better access to and higher completion of certificate and degree programs.
8. Stay abreast of trends, best practices, and legal guidelines related to internships and experiential learning.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in social science, business, education, or related field from an accredited college or university and a minimum of one year of experience working in career services in higher education or related field.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
A Master's Degree in social science, business, human resource management, or higher education field from an accredited college or university and at least three years' experience working in career services or a related field at an accredited institution of higher learning.
About The University of Southern Mississippi The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites across the Mississippi Gulf Coast, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 131 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and large event venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 37 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of more than 14,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 37 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 27 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www. usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.