English as a Second Language Instructors (Hourly)/CET, SCPS
Add to My Favorite Jobs
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Lehman College's School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS) is seeking qualified English as a Second Language (ESL) instructors to facilitate in-person and online instruction for the Fall 2023 semester. Successful candidates will be appointed as a Continuing Education Teacher (CET) eligible to teach SCPS's Intensive English Program and Part-Time ESL courses to an adult immigrant population. Candidates with experience utilizing online teaching technologies such as a web-based learning management system and Zoom to facilitate and support virtual and in-person instruction are required. Our current need is predominantly for evening in-person classes.
Title: Continuing Education Teacher (CET)
• Provide quality in-person / online instruction aligned with level- appropriate academic content instruction in academic reading, writing, listening, and speaking to a class of up to 25 adult learners.
• Demonstrate student centered, communicative teaching methodologies (task- based, problem-based, project based, scaffolding, content-based) in lesson planning and in
• Administer student assessments to measure student learning and progress.
• Complete and maintain appropriate student attendance, and assessment records, and ensure timely submission of data and reports.
• Maximize student learning technologies (such as Google Classroom, Zoom, Moodle, etc.).
• Provide routine feedback on student skills and academic performance.
• Participate in faculty meetings and professional development training.
• Collaborate in activities that foster continuous program improvement and development.
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor's degree.
• Three years' experience teaching academic ESL or other related English language instruction to adult learners.
Teaching Schedule: Part-Time Flexible Schedule Required
All in-person evening sessions are held at CUNY on the Concourse (COTC),
2501 Grand Concourse, 3 rd Floor, Bronx
Availability: Must be available to teach a class at least twice per week, mostly nights/Saturdays
Experience using synchronous and asynchronous platforms and tools, including Zoom, Google Classroom, MS Teams or Moodle, to teach interactive hybrid and/or remote
classes (assignments, quizzes, discussion boards, gradebook, modules).
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Applied Linguistics, TESOL, or related field
• Related professional designations or certifications (TESOL / TEFL Certificate)
• Excellent class management and facilitation skills and ability to build a collaborative learning community
• Experience using a learner-centered approach, and ability to adapt instruction to students' needs
• Experience teaching non-fiction and fiction reading skills, as well as academic essay writing in response to reading
• Knowledge of and ability to integrate modern technology into classroom instruction
• Sensitivity to and experience with teaching culturally and linguistically diverse students
• Fluent in Spanish and English (preferred)
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development. Hourly $40-$45 to start based on experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, applicants must include a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (email, telephone, relationship). Please upload all materials as ONE DOCUMENT in doc, pdf, or rtf format. If selected, you will be invited to demonstrate your teaching skills with a mock lesson.
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the successful candidate is identified.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Apply NowCurrent Search Criteria
For information on requesting a reasonable accommodation in the application process, visit the Company career page.