Early Childhood Teaching Assistant (Interim Hourly 2021-2022)
Apply now Job no: 509032
Position type: Interim
Location: New York
Early Childhood Teaching Assistant -- The Rita Gold Early Childhood
Center seeks a part-time teaching assistant for 2021-22 to support a child-
led, play-based classroom with an emergent curriculum. Candidate will be
assigned to either an infant (3mo-24 mo) toddler (2-3 years), or preschool
(3-5 years) classroom.
Job Summary/Basic Function:
The Rita Gold Early Childhood Center seeks a part-time teaching assistant for
2021-22 to support a child-led, play-based classroom with an emergent
curriculum. Candidate will be assigned to either an infant (3mo-24 mo)
toddler (2-3 years), or preschool (3-5 years) classroom.
Minimum Qualifications: :
• Work with young children as a classroom teacher assistant under the
supervision of head teachers and assistant teachers.
• Engage and support young children in play.
• Contribute to a virtual classroom, if needed.
• Support the teaching team in all aspects of education and care of children
including facilitating children's play and follow children's lead to enact an
emergent curriculum. Must be able to support and participate in a
• Document children's development and experiences on a daily basis.
• Take initiative to support classroom routines and your own learning by
asking questions about practice. Responds to feedback.
• Be responsible and show good judgement in supervision of children.
•Prepare, maintain and organize classroom materials.
• Support a welcoming environment for families.
• Write an end of year narrative summary reports describing children's
experience and development during the year.
• Participate in Center-wide events during and outside scheduled classroom
hours such as Curriculum Night, as you are able.
• Assigned other tasks, as needed, not limited to administrative tasks or
floating across classrooms.
• Available up to 19 hours per week, 2 or more days, during the hours that the
Center is open: Mon-Thurs 8:30 a.m. to 5:15 pm and Fri 8:45-1:15pm. (Please
provide number of hours available and schedule availability in cover letter.)
• Have at least one-year experience working with young children birth though
age 5, preferably in a classroom setting.
• Lift young children 6 weeks to 6 years of age in provide daily care such as
diapering and feeding.
• Participate in covid-19 mitigation strategies.
• Submit required department of health training and paperwork , including a
background check approval prior to hiring, as well as submission of TC
background check paperwork.
Founded in 1982, the RGC provides care for infants, toddlers, preschool
children, and their families who are affiliated with Columbia University, and
prepares graduate students in the field of early childhood education. We are
committed to continually discovering, creating, and sustaining a teaching and
learning environment that supports inquiry, diversity, and equity. These
foundational principles are interwoven throughout the various dimensions of
For more information about the Rita Gold Early Childhood Center, please visit
https:// www. tc.edu/ritagold/
If you have questions, contact Patrice Nichols, Onsite Associate Director,
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit required
• Cover letter (include number of hours plus availability Mon-Friday).
• Contact information for three references.
• Knowledge of a second language is preferable since we serve a multicultural
group of children and families.
• Pursuing studies related to young children and families, and interest in
engaging in how your course of study connects with children and families.
Advertised: 10 Sep 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 15 Sep 2021 Eastern Daylight Time