Apply now Job no: 505553 Position type: Full-Time 12-Month Department: 460200 - User Services Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS Categories: Professional Position Open Date: Feb 14 2023
A Desktop Support Specialist II is responsible for all desktop support and on- site response for MSU's Transportation unit. This position will report to the Desktop Services Manager in User Services. This position also assists and recommends departmental software and hardware purchases, configuration and training, integration with other systems, and compliance with University policies and procedures. This is a highly customer focused position that requires a strong sense of urgency, open communication, desktop technical skills, customer service skills, and the aptitude to learn and teach the integration of various information technology systems.
Salary Grade: 14
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties and responsibilities assigned to the Desktop Support Specialist II position. The absence of specific statements of duties and responsibilities does not exclude those tasks from this position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of this position.
1. Provides excellent customer service. a. Supports Transportation, including Parking and Transit Services, their Customer Service and Business teams, the Fuel Station, and any other group or team assigned to Transportation. b. Anticipates clients' needs and responds in an appropriate and timely manner. c. Develops strong trusting relationship with clients. d. Communicates the status of issues with clients, team members, and upper management.
2. Highly skilled in the installation, configuration, and support of Desktop core services: a. Windows and Mac Operating Systems and supported applications b. AD joined workstations c. Mobile Integration Services d. Anti-Malware/Virus Enterprise Service
3. Highly skilled in installation and troubleshooting of Windows and Macintosh operating systems: a. Highly experienced with multiple versions of Windows and Mac operating systems. b. Advanced analytical skills to troubleshoot operating system problems. c. Intense drive to extensively learn the latest updates, service packs, and/or operating versions.
4. Manages and/or resolves clients' information technology problems and issues: a. Troubleshoots, resolves issues, and installs various hardware and software systems used by Transportation, including but not limited to: parking access control gates, T2 Flex, parking pay stations, license plate recognition software and hardware, enforcement devices, bus tracking and passenger counting equipment and software, bus cameras, Genetec camera systems, fuel station monitoring and management equipment, and fleet management maintenance systems. b. Monitors appropriate queue for incidents assigned. c. Communicates with superiors regarding issues and problems in the field. d. Regularly communicates with clients regarding problems and/or issues. e. Troubleshoots and resolves problems efficiently and in a timely manner that frequently requires working beyond the normally scheduled work hours. f. Provides coordination with secondary support if necessary and closes incidents when problems are resolved to clients' satisfaction. g. Assists in the successful deployment of new applications and Enterprise systems. h. Assists in resolving issues with applications and Enterprise systems.
5. Provides recommendations, operational assistance, and training on various MSU information technology data and/or voice systems: a. Works with clients through the life cycle of the purchase, installation, training, and maintenance of computer and other related equipment and systems. b. Answers questions regarding the use and configuration of systems. c. Manages Active Directory accounts. d. Works with clients to provide systems training when applicable.
6. Remains current on information technology issues related to an academic environment and provides information and assistance to clients with new information technology acquisitions. a. Reads IT related publications (print or Web delivered). b. Evaluates new or new versions of technology and assists clients with new information technology acquisitions.
7. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a focus in Information Technology or a related field. Three years of experience in customer/desktop support.
Any equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
Certifications are preferred but are not required for the Desktop Support Specialist II.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills. • Ability to concentrate/focus for long periods of time. • Ability to handle multiple urgent tasks throughout the day. • Highly self-motivated. • Advance experience in the removal of malware and viruses. • Highly skilled in the configuration of devices to use ITS Microsoft O365 mobile integration services. • Ability to initiate new tasks after an assigned task has been completed or passed on. • Excellent in teaching others how to use information technology. • Strong desire to learn new technologies. • Advanced experience with the installation and support of PC and/or Macintosh OS/application software. • Excellent oral and written communication skills. • Highly skilled with Office 365 applications. • Knowledge of AD groups.
• Attributes that contribute to a Desktop team member: o Promotes team cooperation. o Assists team members in completing deadlines and goals. o Develops strong working relationships with other team members.
• Advanced knowledge of the following: o Troubleshooting networking issues in a complex VLAN environment. o Installation and support of Microsoft Office365 Products o Installation and support experience with AD joined workstations. o Installation and support experience with Microsoft Windows and Macintosh OSs. o Experience with ITSM systems.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1. Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment. 2. No or very limited exposure to physical risk. 3. This position requires the ability to manipulate a variety of office equipment, including occasional lifting up to 50 pounds. 4. Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, listening, and handling objects with hands. 5. Job frequently requires standing, walking, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling. 6. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: https:// explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www. msujobs.msstate.edu by attaching a cover letter and resume which includes the names and addresses of 3 professional references. We will accept applications only from persons with indefinite employment authorization in the U.S., and will not sponsor for nonimmigrant or immigrant status for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or [email protected]
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or [email protected] Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.
Advertised: Feb 14 2023 Central Standard Time Applications close: