Apply now Job no: 505560 Position type: Full-Time 12-Month Department: 460200 - User Services Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS Categories: Professional Position Open Date: Feb 14 2023
A Desktop Support Specialist I is responsible for all desktop support issues for Information Technology Services' supported departments in addition to general IT support for University Enterprise Systems as they relate to our MSU academic environment. This position also assists and recommends departmental software and hardware purchases, configuration and training, integration with other systems, and compliance with University policies and procedures. This is a customer focused position that requires a strong sense of urgency, open communication, desktop technical skills, customer service skills and the aptitude to learn and teach the integration of various information technology systems within our educational environment.
Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties and responsibilities assigned to the Desktop Support Specialist I position. The absence of specific statements of duties and responsibilities does not exclude those tasks from this position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of this position.
1. Skilled in the installation, configuration and support of Desktop core services: a. Windows and Mac Operating Systems and supported applications. b. AD joined workstations. c. Mobile Integration Services. d. Anti-Malware/Virus Enterprise Service.
2. Provides good customer service. a. Anticipates clients' needs and respond in an appropriate and timely manner. b. Develops strong trusting relationship with clients. c. Communicates the status of issues with clients, team members and upper management.
3. Fluent in installation and troubleshooting of Windows and Macintosh operating systems: a. Experienced with multiple versions of Windows and Mac operating systems. b. Analytical skills to trouble shoot operating system problems. c. Takes initiative to learn the latest updates, service packs and/or operating versions.
4. Manages and/or resolves clients' information technology problems and issues: a. Monitors appropriate queue for incidents assigned. b. Communicates with superiors regarding issues and problems in the field. c. Regularly communicates with clients regarding problems and/or issues. d. Troubleshoots and resolves problems efficiently and in a timely manner which may require working beyond the normally scheduled work hours. e. Provides coordination with secondary support if necessary and closes incidents when problems are resolved to clients' satisfaction.
5. Provides recommendations, operational assistance and training on various MSU information technology data and/or voice systems. a. Works with clients through the life cycle of the purchase, installation, training and maintenance of computer and other related equipment and systems. b. Answers questions regarding the use and configuration of systems. c. Manages Active Directory accounts. d. Works with clients to provide systems training when applicable.
6. Develop support material for distribution to MSU clients: a. Identifies topics and objectives. b. Develops examples. c. Develops materials utilizing a variety of media.
7. Remains current on information technology issues related to an academic environment and provides information and assistance to clients with new information technology acquisitions. a. Reads IT related publications (print or Web delivered). b. Evaluates new or new versions of technology and assist clients with new information technology acquisitions.
8. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Information Technology or a related field and one year of customer/desktop support experience.
Any equivalent combination of related education and related experience may be considered for this position.
Certifications are preferred but are not required for Desktop Support Specialist I.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Good interpersonal and customer service skills. • Ability to concentrate/focus for long periods of time. • Ability to handle multiple tasks throughout the day with minimum supervision. • Self-motivated. • Skilled in the removal of malware and viruses. • Skilled in the configuration of devices to use ITS Microsoft O365 mobile integration services. • Ability to initiate new tasks after an assigned task has been completed or passed on with minimum supervision. • Ability to teach others how to use information technology. • Ability to learn new technologies. • Experience with installation and support of PC and/or Macintosh OS/application software. • Good oral and written communication skills. • Experience with Office 365 applications. • Knowledge of AD groups.
• Attributes that contribute to a Desktop team member: -Promotes team cooperation. -Assists team members in completing deadlines and goals. -Develops strong working relationships with other team members. -Develop working relationships with other groups within ITS.
• At least two of the following are preferred: -Experience with local area networks. -Installation and support of Microsoft O365 Products. -Installation and support experience with AD joined workstations.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment. • This position requires the ability to manipulate a variety of office equipment, including occasional lifting up to 50 pounds. • Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, listening, and handling objects with hands. • Job frequently requires standing, walking, stopping/kneeling/crouching/crawling. • Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: https:// explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
All applicants must apply online at www. msujobs.msstate.edu by attaching a cover letter and resume which includes the names and addresses of 3 professional references. We will accept applications only from persons with indefinite employment authorization in the U.S., and will not sponsor for nonimmigrant or immigrant status for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
What do I do if I need an accommodation?
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Mississippi State University, please contact the Department of Human Resources Management at tel: (662) 325-3713 or [email protected]
If you have any questions regarding this policy, contact the Department of Human Resources Management at (662) 325-3713 or [email protected] Upon request, sections of this job listing are available in large print, and readers are available to assist the visually impaired.
Advertised: Feb 14 2023 Central Standard Time Applications close: