To demonstrate the use of practical equipment (including where relevant, software packages), experiments, exercises, techniques and/or processes that may form an element of an undergraduate course of study in line with specific learning objectives, set by others.
To oversee students carrying out such experiments, exercises etc and offer assistance as appropriate.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. Under supervision, to demonstrate and provide instruction to students (both small groups and one-to-one) in the use of practical equipment, conduct experiments, workshops and/or processes and to answer questions related to those demonstrations.
2. To assist/give guidance, where required, to students who are carrying out practical exercises.
3. To be aware of any health and safety implications, and take action to maintain a safe environment, raising any concerns with the course organiser.
4. To contribute to the development of teaching material and workbooks.
5. Where required, to assist in marking student tests set by the course organiser using defined marking criteria where marking requires little or no interpretation.
6. Where required, to provide factual feedback on student performance and any issues arising the course of the demonstration, to the course organiser.
7. Where required, to ensure that equipment is functional and/or material for demonstrations, exercises etc is prepared before the start of a session.
9. Engage in continuing professional development activities as appropriate.
10. Undertake any other reasonable duties as required by the Head of School.
11. To contribute to the enhancement of the University's international profile in line with the University's Strategic Plan.
SCQF Level 10 (Honours degree) in a relevant subject or a cognate discipline, or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Advanced knowledge of relevant subject
Ability to assemble and use equipment (including, where relevant, software packages) relevant to the experiments, exercises and/or processes.
Sufficient knowledge and skills to explain clearly the item, issue or technique being demonstrated with some requirement to match that to the needs of the specific group. Effective communication skills.
Will usually hold a degree, or equivalent, relevant to the teaching area.
Understanding of relevant health and safety procedures.
Commitment to the University's published values and professional behaviours.
Applicants must be a registered postgraduate
Vacancy Ref : 125390 Close Date : 30-Nov-2023 23:45