Centre College is a premier national liberal arts college that serves approximately 1,400 students and provides a supportive community and a flexible, personal academic path to a meaningful life and career. Founded in 1819, Centre accomplishes its goals in an atmosphere of caring and respectful relationships among faculty, students, and staff.
Centre welcomes and supports diversity. The College strives to create an environment where differences are celebrated, where individuals can exchange ideas and share in the richness of mutual experiences. Please view our Statement of Community.
Located in Danville, KY, the historic, picturesque 150-acre campus is 30 miles from Lexington, in the famed Bluegrass Region of Central Kentucky.Job Skills / Requirements
Centre College invites applications for the position of Custodian. This is an hourly position.
Perform work covering all phases of custodial maintenance for the College according to standards set forth, care of equipment and economical use of all supplies.
Essential Job Functions:
· Reports to a Custodial Leader who is responsible for the direction of the custodial operations for a given facility;
· Clean and service buildings - dusting, sweeping and mopping rooms, halls, laboratories and stairwells;
· Strips, scrubs, applies finishes and spray buff floors;
· Clean bathrooms, laboratories, fixtures and polishes brass, chrome, and stainless steel using established practices and procedures;
· Gathers and disposes refuse;
· Washes walls, windows (exterior and interior) and shampoos carpets;
· Cleans lighting fixtures, replacing light bulbs, tops of windows, door frames and other high areas using ladders of various heights;
· Refills paper product dispensers;
· Maintains cleanliness and order in the custodial storage area;
· Lock and unlock assigned buildings, secure building when facility is not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows, report any unauthorized occupants;
· Perform cleaning and related activities such as removing snow or debris from entrances, stairs in areas within six feet of buildings using shovels, brooms, and ice melting chemicals;
· Attend to emergencies when necessary;
· Assist with inventory control and security of assigned building(s);
· Safely operate all job-related equipment;
· Secure storage areas;
· Maintain a 10ft perimeter around the exterior of all buildings, including but not limited to trash, leaves in the exterior stairwell and entryways, branches on sidewalk, snow removal, etc.;
· Duties require outside transferring of trash to dumpster in inclement weather conditions;
· Ensure cleaning materials and supplies are stored in a safe, orderly, and secure manner;
· Enforce and adhere to Standard Safety precautions and attend all mandatory training;
· Appreciation of and commitment to further an inclusive culture for those of diverse backgrounds such as ability, age, class, ethnicity, faith, gender, neurodiversity, race and sexual orientation;
· Facilities Management provides critical services to the college to ensure the safety of the students, faculty, and staff. Facilities employees are critical personnel, which requires us to be present during inclement weather and all other emergencies
Marginal Job Functions:
· Occasionally assists in moving freight and furniture;
· May be required to make minor repairs to equipment;
· Requests supplies as needed;
· Contribute to the overall success of the department by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience
High School diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience. Some experience is desirable, but not essential. Individual will learn duties through the job training.
Knowledge and Skills
Must know how to use common house cleaning devices such as brooms, mops, etc. Familiar with physical arrangement of buildings, electrical, water locations and fire alarms, and standard procedures for cleaning walls, floors, etc.
Ability to work with due consideration for faculty, staff and students in vicinity.
Some initiative involved in determining level of cleaning to be accomplished. Works under relatively close supervision, performing simple and standardized tasks. Must present a neat personal appearance at all times and be of high moral character, due to setting example to students and exposure to personal and college property of considerable value.
Must be able to maintain regular work schedule, work overtime as necessary with minimal absences.Education Requirements (Any)
-High School Diploma or GED equivalentAdditional Information/Benefits
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Holidays, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan
Screening Requirements: Motor Vehicle, Criminal Background Check, Education Verification
Interested applicants must apply through the Centre College Human Resources site at Employment at Centre Centre College (with a cover letter, resume, and list of references). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until filled.Education Requirements (Any)
High School Diploma or GED equivalentAdditional Information / Benefits
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Days, Paid Holidays, Long Term Disability, 401K/403b Plan