Position InformationPosition Title Custodian I/Custodian Apprentice
Work Location Springfield Campus Department Custodial HR Home Department 060116 FAC MGMT-CUSTODIAL Pay Grade 21 Proposed Salary $15.00 per hour + additional 30 cents for 2nd shift or 60 cents for 3rd shift Position only available to current, regular, full-time Missouri State University employees? No, Position is available to all applicants. Appointment Type Full Time Regular Exempt/Non-Exempt Non-Exempt General Function
The Custodian I performs semi-skilled custodial services for University facilities following established procedures and guidelines in the maintenance of buildings, classrooms, offices, lavatories and restrooms, and associated areas, their furnishings and equipment using manual tools and electrically- powered machines. The Custodian I also moves furniture and equipment for cleaning or for special events which may require carrying and erecting tables, chairs, stages, podiums, sound shells, and similar items indoors and out-of- doors. The work performed by Custodian I includes the removal of snow and/or ice from exterior entrances, walkways and sidewalks.
Description of Primary Duties
1. Performs regular, scheduled, and directed floor and stairs maintenance by using manual tools and equipment or operating powered floor machines to sweep, vacuum, and mop floors and stairs, and strip and wax floors according to prescribed guidelines or specific directions.
2. Performs regular, scheduled, and directed carpet and upholstery maintenance by using manual tools and equipment or operating powered carpet extractors, shampooers, vacuums, back pack vacuums, and using upholstery tools according to prescribed guidelines or specific directions.
3. Cleans building furnishings (which may require limited moving of those furnishings) within assigned area by dusting, washing, and/or polishing office furniture and equipment such as desks, chairs, tables, word processing cabinets, bookcases, file cabinets, end tables, lamps, handrails, heat and air conditioning registers, trophy cases, ash stands, and similar fixtures.
4. Ensures that lavatories, restrooms, showers, and locker rooms are clean and sanitary by following prescribed procedures for sweeping, washing and/or scrubbing the restrooms, using specific chemicals for foaming and/or disinfecting facilities, restocking all appropriate paper products, refilling soap dispensers, replacing sanitary disposal liners, and removing all trash and waste products from lavatories and restrooms.
5. Cleans classroom or meeting room furniture and equipment (if classrooms or meeting rooms are part of assigned area) by dry dusting blackboards and erasers and/or washing whiteboards, re-aligning classroom desks and/or tables and chairs, dust-mopping and damp-mopping hard surface floors or vacuuming carpeted floors, and collecting and removing all trash and waste products from the classrooms.
6. Cleans interior walls by removing adhesive tape, thumb tacks, paper pins, staples, and similar items, and washing and scrubbing (if necessary) the walls with prescribed wall cleaners to remove stains and graffiti.
7. Washes all interior and lower level exterior glass, including windows, mirrors, and door glass by using pressure washers, foaming equipment, extension poles, ladders, glass cleaners, squeegees, and/or paper wipes according to prescribed guidelines or specific directions for use of the cleaners.
8. Removes all trash from assigned areas by collecting trash from various trash containers and receptacles, transporting the trash to designated outside trash dumpsters, and emptying the trash into the dumpsters.
9. Removes all recyclable materials from assigned areas by collecting the recyclable materials from the various labeled containers, transporting the recyclable materials to designated outside recycling dumpsters, and emptying the recyclable materials into the dumpster, ensuring that the dumpster is locked when after dumping.
10. Uses cleaning chemicals properly and safely by wearing prescribed protective clothing, masks, and/or rubber gloves and boots, following either written or verbal directions for mixing chemical compounds according to specifications, applying the cleaning chemicals properly on surfaces or items designated for their use, and disposing of residual chemical products as directed or storing and labeling them for future use.
11. Unloads delivery trucks or picks up cleaning supplies from the custodial storeroom or from commercial vendors for immediate or future use by manually lifting the cleaning supplies and carrying and/or transporting them using a two-wheel hand truck (or vehicle) to the designated storage facility.
12. Prepares classrooms, meeting rooms, auditoriums, arenas and outdoor locations for special events and activities by moving existing furniture and tarping floors (if necessary), and setting up (erecting) equipment, tables, chairs, portable steps, stages, podiums, curtains, sound shells, and other specifically requested items following set-up plans, diagrams, or verbal instructions.
13. Assists in preventing accidents resulting from snow or ice covered walkways by shoveling or sweeping snow or ice from sidewalks and entrances, and spreading salt, sand or chemicals within the assigned area.
14. Responds to emergency situations that may cause property damage, personal injury or both such as water leaks, flooding, overflowing restroom fixtures, accidents resulting in the appearance of bodily fluids (blood, vomitus waste, urine), broken window and door glass, by following the procedures prescribed for handling each emergency situation within the capability to respond.
15. Performs a measure of building, facilities, and contents protection and security by checking assigned areas, building, and facilities for safety and security, locking/unlocking designated office and work areas, and notifying proper authorities when security of the assigned building, facilities, or contents is in jeopardy.
16. Reports damage to buildings, facilities, furnishings and equipment, as well as emergency conditions beyond the capability to handle by contacting either the immediate supervisor or (if not available) the Office of Safety and Transportation (if available on that campus) immediately upon discovery, and describing the specific conditions.
17. Depending on departmental assignment, may replace interior or exterior light bulbs using ladders, lifts, or other tools, use special disposal/recycling methods appropriate for various bulb/lamp types, make beds, collect and distribute towels and linens, supply rooms with soap, drinking glasses, etc., operate commercial or household style washers, driers, and irons, assist with mattress, drapery, or upholstery repairs, and/or perform cleaning, bulb replacement, flood remediation in student living areas.
18. Depending on departmental assignment, may clean outdoor entryways, loading docks, or areas around dumpsters requiring both hand tools, such as shovels or rakes and power equipment such as scrubbers or pressure washers.
19. Performs routine maintenance of custodial equipment such as belt or bag replacement, emptying collection receptacles or bags, and cleaning and providing proper storage of equipment.
20. May provide information on the location of campus buildings to students, staff, parents, etc. and/or advise same of potentially unsafe conditions.
21. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
22. Contributes to the overall success of the assigned department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
Education: Completion of the 10th grade is required. However, significant custodial experience beyond that required for the position may be substituted for the required formal education. A high school diploma or the equivalent is preferred.
Experience: At least one year of experience in custodial services, which includes knowledge of cleaning procedures, equipment and supplies, is required.
Skills: Must be able to read English language sufficiently to understand written work orders and instructions as well as directions for the proper mixture, use, and disposal/storage of cleaners, solvents, chemicals, and similar products used in custodial services. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Requires the ability to lift and carry custodial supplies and equipment weighing up to 75 pounds on a frequent basis and up to 100 pounds on an occasional basis, prolonged walking or standing and frequent bending, stooping, and reaching on a daily basis. Requires a full range of physical motion in order to operate manual and electrically-powered cleaning equipment and machines to include snow shovels. Requires the ability to access facilities and areas that may only be accessible by climbing ladders or stairs, bending, reaching on top of partitions, cabinets, bookcases and ledges, moving furniture, supplies, equipment, or office machines. Must be able to move throughout assigned areas, as work is performed indoors and out- of-doors. Some positions in this job classification (job title) are designated as essential employees who must report to work as scheduled when University offices are closed due to severe weather; the supervisor will communicate whether the particular position is considered essential and under what situations.
Other: Positions associated with this position classification may be located in facilities requiring the position to be designated “sensitive” as defined by University policy. Positions associated with this position classification may include job duties, responsibilities, or activities that are subject to export control regulations. The scope of the job requires exposure to and use of chemical compounds for cleaning which may be hazardous and/or cause injury if specific instructions regarding their mixture, application and use are not properly followed.
Additional Qualifications Link to Job Description https: // www. missouristate.edu/Human/JobDescriptions/8020-custodian-i.htm Open Date 03/07/2022 Close Date (If Close Date is blank then the posting is considered open until filled) Special Instructions to Applicants
Applications will be kept in consideration for 90 days or until a vacancy is listed. Some shifts might not be immediately available after the internal bidding process. Shifts available: 1st shift 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM Friday – Tuesday 1st shift 6:30 AM – 3:00 PM Monday – Friday 2nd shift 5:00 PM – 1:30 AM Monday – Friday
3rd shift 11:00 PM – 7:00 AM Friday – Tuesday 3rd shift 12:00 AM – 8:30 AM Monday – Friday
The University reserves the right to fill this position as a Custodial Apprentice or Custodian I.
If you have less than one year of custodial experience, you can apply in this posting for Custodian Apprentice.
Custodian Apprentice is Grade 20; $15 hourly. Custodian is Grade 21; $15.00 hourly.
Custodian Apprentice job description can be found at https: // www. missouristate.edu/human/jobdescriptions/8010-custodian- apprentice.htm
EO/AA and Diversity Statement
Non Discrimination Statement
Missouri State University is a community of people with respect for diversity. The University emphasizes the dignity and equality common to all persons and adheres to a strict nondiscrimination policy regarding the treatment of individual faculty, staff, and students. In accord with federal law and applicable Missouri statutes, the University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin (including ancestry, or any other subcategory of national origin recognized by applicable law), religion, sex (including marital status, family status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other subcategory of sex recognized by applicable law), age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law in employment or in any program or activity offered or sponsored by the University. Sex discrimination encompasses sexual harassment, which includes sexual violence, and is strictly prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972.
This policy shall not be interpreted in a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or military organizations associated with the Armed Forces of the United States of America.
The University maintains a grievance procedure incorporating due process available to any person who believes he or she has been discriminated against. Missouri State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Minority/Female/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employer. Inquiries concerning the complaint/grievance procedure related to sex discrimination, including sexual harassment and sexual assault, should be addressed to the Title IX Coordinator, Carrington Hall 205, 901 S. National Ave., Springfield, Missouri 65897, [email protected], 417-836-8506, or to the Office for Civil Rights. All other inquiries concerning the grievance procedure, Affirmative Action Plan, or compliance with federal and state laws and guidelines should be addressed to the Equal Opportunity Officer, Office for Institutional Equity and Compliance, Park Central Office Building, Suite 111, Springfield, Missouri 65897, [email protected], 417-836-4252, or to the Office for Civil Rights. (Res. Board Policies No. 70-11; Bd. Min. 10-28-11.)
Background Check Statement
Employment will require a criminal background check at University expense.
Posting DetailPosting Number 20230110FTS
Quicklink for Posting https: // jobs.missouristate.edu/postings/68979Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk ().
(Open Ended Question)
(Open Ended Question)