CTL Teaching Support Technician - Collaborative Teaching Laboratory - 39669 -
Band 300 - (210001LT)
CTL TEACHING SUPPORT TECHNICIAN – 39669
Area: Collaborative Teaching Laboratory in the College of Engineering and
Salary: Full time starting salary is normally in the range £18,602 to £19,200,
with potential progression once in post to £22,152
Band/Grade: Band 300
Hours: Full time
Location: University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK
Closing Date 22 September 2021
Our offer to you
People are at the heart of what we are and do.
The University of Birmingham is proud to have been a part of the City of
Birmingham and the wider region for over 100 years, and we are equally proud
to be recognised as a leading global university. We want to attract talented
people from across the city and beyond, support them to succeed, and celebrate
We are committed to helping the people who work here to develop through our
sector-leading Birmingham Professional programme which provides all
professional services staff with development opportunities and the
encouragement to reach their full potential. With almost 5,000 professional
services jobs in a wide-range of functions in Edgbaston and in our campus in
Dubai, there are plenty of opportunities for you to be able to develop your
career at the University.
We believe there is no such thing as a typical member of staff and that
diversity is a source of strength that underpins the exchange of ideas,
innovation, and debate. We warmly welcome people from all backgrounds and are
committed to fostering an inclusive environment where diversity is at the
heart of who and what we are, and how we work.
Supporting our people to achieve a healthy work/life balance is important both
to our employees and to the success of the University and, depending on the
role, we offer a variety of flexible working arrangements. We therefore
welcome discussions on all forms of flexible working. In addition, you will
receive a generous package of benefits including 40 days paid holiday a year,
one paid day a year for volunteering, occupational sick pay, and a pension
scheme. We also have three high quality subsidised day nurseries.
The University is situated in leafy Edgbaston and there are excellent
transport links to our beautiful campus, including main bus routes and a train
station on site. On campus we have a state-of-the-art sports centre with pool,
shops, places to eat and drink, our own art gallery, museum and botanical
Find out more about the benefits of working for the University of Birmingham
The Collaborative Teaching Laboratory (CTL) represents a £42m investment in
STEM teaching. The CTL provides primarily undergraduate students with a
transformational teaching experience in a state of the art facilities to
encourage and enable inter-disciplinary working. Recently revised in
collaboration with external organisations, National Technician Development
Centre, the IST and HEaTED, the CTL achieves many of the pledges as outlined
in the Technician Commitment. For example, technician career pathways are
embedded into the organisational structure to highlight future progression
This role will suit a technician who has a progressive outlook, is comfortable
in challenging existing approaches, and highly motivated to bring about
positive change. Relevant training and development support will be available.
• Provision of general laboratory requirements for practical classes. This
involves setting up and clearing away equipment, materials & reagents for each
practical class as directed.
• A significant amount of manual handling will be required by the post holder.
• Routine care of laboratory apparatus and equipment such as colorimeters,
centrifuges, calibration of pH meters etc.
• Preparation of simple solutions & filling of reagent bottles.
• Calibration of equipment prior, simple fault finding/troubleshooting.
Health and Safety
• Assist with the implementation of safety policies and procedures working
safely and helping to ensure that others do the same.
• Provide facilities for the safe disposal of contaminated material with
microbial cultures, animal carcasses, sharps, chemicals and radioactive
• He/she must be fully aware of the potential hazards involved in the use of
caustic chemical cleaning agents and operate in accordance with COSHH and risk
• Calibration and servicing of pipettes.
• Sterilisation of media & glassware. Washing laboratory glassware by hand and
• Operating of washing /drier for laundry of student lab coats and teaching
• Collection of goods from stores, checking & replenishing laboratory
• General maintenance of equipment and laboratory housekeeping.
• To act as an ambassador for the CTL and to promote the operational and
• Assisting other technical staff in preparing for events such as open days,
school visits etc.
• To be flexible with CTL hours of operation to support changes in annual
timetabling and to accommodate future CTL operational requirements.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
• NQF Level 3 (A-Levels, NVQ L3 etc.) preferably in a STEM discipline
• GCSE (A- C) or equivalent in Science, Mathematics and Chemistry
• RSciTech or working towards RSci. If not registered, it will be encouraged
to achieve registration within the first year.
• Good Laboratory Practice gained through experience and formal
• Ability to provide ‘Lab Class Support' crossing multiple STEM disciplines.
Our Values and Behaviours
Informal enquiries can be made to Indira Suresh; firstname.lastname@example.org
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome
applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions
around all forms of flexible working.
: Collaborative Teaching Laboratory
: 08.09.2021, 6:00:00 AM
Grade (for job description): Band 300
Salary (Pay Basis)
Advert Close Date
: 23.09.2021, 5:59:00 AM